• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage to Heresy

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
As of today, Pilgrimage to Heresy is finally available on Kindle and for just a month I am pricing it at .99Ç/74p.
Maybe some industrious pilgrim might be able to compile a list of Camino books on Kindle for Forum members to peruse? Even I as a lifelong "book o'file" am considering buying one! Perfect for the Camino for sure.
Ivar, if you consider this Spam I won't be offended if you remove it. (But hope you don't!)
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When they first came out (Kindles) I thought I was absolutely against them, even the name as it seemed to have something to do with burning books .. I was thinking you can't beat a real book etc etc blah blah .. but now .. I am rather intrigued ... has anyone tried one?

Are they 'readable'? Can you see the screen in sunlight? Do the batteries (battery?) last a long time .. do they seem strong or is the screen scratchable .. and so on ..

would like to hear ...

p.s. Good luck with the book

Thanks Tracy. Terry bought the paperback and we enjoyed reading it. I have a Kindle (and I was very dubious too David at first) so I have just downloaded the new Kindle copy. Brilliant.

The Kindle seems quite strong David, but it is worth buying the cover for it. Mine is the cheaper Wi-Fi model and is easy to work with the plain cover (no light). If you leave the Wi-Fi turned off except when needed for downloading a book the battery lasts for about a month and I read a lot. Wi-Fi uses battery power even if the Kindle is in sleep mode. I am delighted with mine, and to get back to Tracy's book you will find it here Pilgrimage to Heresy to save you all searching the Kindle store :D
Every blessing
Tia Valeria

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry David - extra info. Kindle as in kindle the imagination, although at first it does sound like a bonfire!
The screen needs a light on it so works well in sunshine. Unlike a computer it is not backlit. That is why some people like the cover with a light, but I suspect it drains battery power unless it has its own source.
The Kindle has buttons, unlike some e-readers which are touch-screen, so there is less risk of scratching, and I always close the cover when I am not using it. It is also easy to remove from the cover and replace with a little practise. You can change font size etc too which I like and it has a simple web-browser.
Books can be downloaded direct, or via computer USB (cables provided), most other readers seem to be cable only. Also takes MP3 files so I have the 'Botofumeiro hymn' on mine. Too many would overload it and they have to be added via computer.

Now I am off to open my Kindle copy of Pilgrimage to Heresy

So sorry. Apparently there is a technical glitch on bthe Kindle download as Amazon seem to have published without paragraph breaks! I haven't seen it but I am told it makes it very hard to read so am "unpubishing" for a day or two to put things right. It'll be up again by the weekend.
In the meantime, if you have purchased a Kindle copy and find it hard to read, please send me a PM and I'll happily send you a PDF copy, and sorry for the inconvenience.
TS

That's odd, my Kindle has paragraphs OK. Double spacing between paragraphs on the kindle itself, but only single spacing on Kindle for computer. I've gone to a location half way through and it is OK there still. Does font size make a difference? I am using size 2 (ie 2nd from the left) on the Kindle itself.
Happy reading
Tia Valeria

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks all, especially Tia Valeria. That might explain it as it was opened by the person who has done all the work for me in Kindle for PC!
So, with luck it should all be back up within a little while. :D
Murphy's Law, no doubt!

Oh dear, so not quite like opening a book then

Definitely not like a book David! I do not have a Kindle and so far have not used Valerie's! Being an 'ante-diluvian dinosaur' I much prefer a wander up to the local library (Yes, we still have one!) and borrowing a few 'real' books! I can see advantages for those who want (need?) to take books on Camino. Not me - the only book I carry is a very small New Testament and Psalms. Otherwise I spend time reading 'the book of life'. Plenty of that on The way.

blessings
Tio Tel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just downloaded the book to my iPhone to read on the commuter bus. So I have a Kindle, cell phone, WiFi connection, internet access through T-mobile, eBay, my subscription to the Economist with a new edition weekly, music, calendar, Google maps with its detailed city maps covering the world, calendar, camera, audio recorder, to-do list, word processor, and video recorder. Oh yes, I can track food and exercise as well. All for about 4 ounces of weight (plus another ounce for the charger) that fits in my shirt pocket.

As chic as it is to eschew technology, it really is pretty handy!

TerryB said:
Oh dear, so not quite like opening a book then

Definitely not like a book David! I do not have a Kindle and so far have not used Valerie's! Being an 'ante-diluvian dinosaur' I much prefer a wander up to the local library (Yes, we still have one!)

blessings
Tio Tel
Unfortunately for paper books, T, and as Falco's logic indicates, technology can often be liberating*, so you may have to get that Kindle to keep up with good reading. The UK government is closing the libraries faster than bankers steal money.

With Kindle, you could have Pr's cutprice offer today. And so could I if I had Kindle.

*tho' for sure some preferred parchment to Gutenberg.

technology can often be liberating*

Of course it can! I am typing this on a super-fast desktop with wireless connection etc. I also have a net-book and power-point projector plus mobile phones and other gizmos. I may get a Kindle at some point :shock: if I am going on holiday and need to travel light. Its just that I much prefer a 'hard copy' and "Pilgrimage to Heresy" is already on my bookshelves as Priscillian knows -duly 'vandalised' with pencilled notes in the margin!

One other thing about a Kindle - it would be difficult to nail to the church door at Wittenberg :)

Blessings
Tio Tel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
TerryB said:
One other thing about a Kindle - it would be difficult to nail to the church door at Wittenberg :)

Blessings
Tio Tel

T...that is so neat! :D :D

Just think - Luther would have been up that creek without a paddle if he had Kindle. The whole of Western civilisation would have gone in another direction! But which? and that would make a great discussion...a wonderful bunfight...especially for those who stand between Wittenberg and Rome :wink:

PS Yet I too have a nostalgic love of the book......but I will be smoked out of my troglodite cave with pleasure if I can get Kindle books at a price I can afford. I dont have Kindle (yet), and only thought about it seriously after this thread. I look forward to pirate copies of books. Sorry Pr., I dont mean yours.....ahem! .....but I do predict a return to the medieval notion of copyright - i.e. there won't be any. And who will then write books? Dunno.

Unintentionally yet spookily, :shock: my signature seems relevant.

falcon269 said:
I just downloaded the book to my iPhone to read on the commuter bus. So I have a Kindle, cell phone, WiFi connection, internet access through T-mobile, eBay, my subscription to the Economist with a new edition weekly, music, calendar, Google maps with its detailed city maps covering the world, calendar, camera, audio recorder, to-do list, word processor, and video recorder. Oh yes, I can track food and exercise as well. All for about 4 ounces of weight (plus another ounce for the charger) that fits in my shirt pocket.

As chic as it is to eschew technology, it really is pretty handy!

Yes - but it is fun! :wink:
I have desktop with broadband, laptop with wi-fi, t-mobile mobile phone, digital camera ... all rather heavy and all rather ancient (each one has a key in the back).

My grandfather was a publisher and we grew up with LOTS of books around the house. I love books. I love their feel, their smell and of course the sound of turning pages. B&N particularly loved me. As did my seminary bookstores. BUT I bought a Kindle almost two years ago and have never turned back. As I get older, it is nice to enlarge the font--which you can do with a button. I gave one to my mother this year after her stroke as she cannot hold a book or turn pages any more--but she can click a button. She would tell you it has been a saving grace as she hated to give up reading but it was becoming beyond her physical abilities. It is also nice to be able to read several books at once with only one thing in my purse/tote--it saves your place in any book you open. In addition, I was able to carry my bible, prayer book, plus a number of books with me on Camino at 10oz. Try doing that with printed books! So while I love books and have many, so many in my house--I have to say I also love my kindle. Doesn't mean I don't turn around and sometimes buy a printed book because I still do.......

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Tio Tel

I liked your blog- nice one. It was a good idea to leave the trouble and strife behind you and step out on the Way; it's a tonic and a relief from daily stresses. I link the camino with the old word Holy day, and we cant get enough of those!

Enjoy your CI next time.... :)

Pilgrimage to Heresy is now available on Kindle with all the glitches just blown away! It looks just as nice on Kindle for PC which you can download for free. Lots of free books there too, but mine is almost free...!
I have extended the .79p/99cent price until March 15th after which it will be priced somewhat higher, so do please download and help me to get Priscillian, Miranda and Kieran into Kindle's top 100. At this price I am making almost nothing and nothing will ever make up for all the time, effort and money I have put into telling this most timely tale.
You won't regret it and you certainly will learn a whole lot about the Camino that you won't find in your official walker's guide!
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back