• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage to Walsingham, UK

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Hi all!
Has anyone ever walked this? I have just received John Merrill's book, 'London to Walsingham' and it's definitely on my 'to do' list. :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We, me and my husband, started to do this some years back, sadly we had to break up that way due to me having a really nasty tendon injury. I hobbled into Peterborough cathedral on my heels and walking sticks :(

Nothing much in terms of official pilgrims accommodation and open churches as far as I remember. SY

Oh what a shame :(
I haven't looked at it in detail yet but as you say, there doesn't seem to be pilgrim accommodation, maybe the odd YH or two.
I will try to do it though, with my husband too :) No idea when though ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh what a shame :(
I haven't looked at it in detail yet but as you say, there doesn't seem to be pilgrim accommodation, maybe the odd YH or two.
I will try to do it though, with my husband too :) No idea when though ...

If you plan a bit ahead, you can always make a list of parishes alongside the way and contact them beforehand for possible accommodation. Buen Camino! SY

Thanks SY. I'll think about it after this coming Camino.
People from my Parish go there once a year but by coach, in fact they are there now. A few have said they'd love to walk it with us if I organise it :eek:
I am (i think with reason!) pretty dubious about dragging 'non-walkers' on to a pilgrimage I haven't done before...
To be followed.... :D (A suivre)

... A few have said they'd love to walk it with us if I organise it :eek:
I am (i think with reason!) pretty dubious about dragging 'non-walkers' on to a pilgrimage I haven't done before...

Or that I have done before ;-)
As for planning, a good resource could be also 'Crockford's Clerical Directory' which is listening all CoE clergy and institutions, and their contact details, you might want to hassle for accommodation ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all!
Has anyone ever walked this? I have just received John Merrill's book, 'London to Walsingham' and it's definitely on my 'to do' list. :cool:

I've been twice to Walsingham and would love yo do this walk. Thanks for revealing there's a book.

Thanks SY. I'll think about it after this coming Camino.
People from my Parish go there once a year but by coach, in fact they are there now. A few have said they'd love to walk it with us if I organise it :eek:
To be followed.... :D (A suivre)
If you do organise it please count me in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you do organise it please count me in.

Wow, wonderful! I'll keep you posted. Leaving for VdlP in... less than a month's time now so will concentrate on Walsingham on my return. Love it, so little time and so many places!!! Very exciting :cool:

PS: I followed John Merrills's book to go to Canterbury last year, he 's a fabulous walker.

P

Eek, we're Catholics :D

Lol! And I am an Anglican vicar's wife. So what? So am I (Anglo-Catholic for the records, there is more that unites us than what it separate us, and Walsingham is a bi-denominational shrine ...)?

Make it an Ecumenical pilgrimage then! For staying with 'your own kind' this one might help http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/Home/Directory and there are also these Ecumenical resources:

http://www.ecumenicalmarianpilgrimage.org.uk/
http://thepilgrims.org.uk/pilgmapping.php

Say hello to Her from me ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Lol! My Parish priest was CoE and recently converted. He is married too. My husband has also converted. Obviously we're all very ecumenically minded but ... Not everyone is ;)
Food for thought though, thank you SY, will definitely look into it. Thanks for the links, very helpful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lol! My Parish priest was CoE and recently converted. He is married too....

And that is the one thing that always gets me wondering ... Why do RC parishes, and even authorities, accept this but still insist in an obligatory celibacy? Shutting up now as this train of thought is nearly crossing the border of forum rules regarding religious discussions. Sorry, SY

I know and agree! But there is a section for private groups here on the forum that are excluded from this, in general very sensible, rule. What about starting a group about 'Ecumenical Pilgrimage'? SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm giving this thread new life as...that's it, we're off on 1st April! Walking from home to Walsingham, all being well arriving on 9th. Ultreia! :):)

I go to Walsingham every year in June, sadly I don't walk, but I have read somewhere of a small group walking from London.
If someone is thinking of planning a pilgrimage I'd certainly be interested.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Way back in another century I walked from Epping to Walsingham a couple of time as part of the Student Cross Holy Week pilgrimage. A very different experience from walking alone or as a couple. Fun though.
http://www.studentcross.org.uk

Yes I agree it sounds like great fun, you're lucky to have done it.
I'll be walking with my husband so there's bound to be some visits to pubs involved, too :rolleyes::D

I go to Walsingham every year in June, sadly I don't walk, but I have read somewhere of a small group walking from London.
If someone is thinking of planning a pilgrimage I'd certainly be interested.
When researching I did see there were a few groups walking, too.
Would it not appeal to do it on your own? That was my original idea but my husband was also keen. It also works out cheaper to share a room...

I walk the camino on my own so I guess going to Walsingham wouldn't be any different. Must give it some thought, from Weymouth it's just turn left at London.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walk the camino on my own so I guess going to Walsingham wouldn't be any different. Must give it some thought, from Weymouth it's just turn left at London.

We're 'adapting' the John Merrill itinerary, also chosen by the LDWA.
https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Walsingham+Way+-+London+to+Walsingham

This lot appealed to me as they are camping. Seems they have a car though to carry all their equipment.
http://www.londontowalsingham.com

Just food for thought :)

Getting butterflies now, only two nights to go and we're off! :eek: I just hope that we come back still married ;):D:D:D

Do please let us know the level of accommodation availability for solo/duo walkers. Otherwise we will have to nag the Brits to get their ecumenical act together and organize lodging a la European Walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do please let us know the level of accommodation availability for solo/duo walkers. Otherwise we will have to nag the Brits to get their ecumenical act together and organize lodging a la European Walk.

I'll post the details on here :) We're staying mostly in bed & breakfasts and being 2 of us it works out cheaper. Sadly my husband doesn't do camping:rolleyes::D
PS he just piped up: 'nor would anyone else with any sense in April in England' :rolleyes::rolleyes:.
Tss :D

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back