• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage ways outside Europe

Barbara06

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Hello,

Does anybody know if there are any Pilgrimage ways in places such as America, Australia, New-Zealand,.... ?

Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are many pilgrimage routes in Asia, India and Indonesia. There are various "Sacred Ways" in South America. Some would argue that the Song-lines of Australia are pilgrimages but they serve(d) a different function. The concept of pilgrimage is tied quite tightly to organised religion. Destination and cause dependent on hierarchical / authoritative structures. The colonisers of the 'New" World left their pilgrimage destinations behind them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I only know about this from the BBC World Service documentary. I heard it on the car radio (at 0300) as I was heading for the airport to go to Spain for Camino a few weeks ago!
It is the Caminho da fe in Brazil. I thought is was a nicely presented programme. He has a blog elsewthere of his Camino de Santiago de Compostela and many other walks.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02yk8jb

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@mikevasey, Camino Salvado is one of several pilgrimage walks conducted in Australia. I say conducted because they are generally walked as an organised group at a specific time of the year, and their length varies from two or three days to about a week.

I don't have details with me right now, but when I get home at the end of the month, I should be able to provide more information if others haven't in the meantime.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Kumano Kodo pilgrimage trail in Wakayama, Japan is recognized as the sister trail to the Camino de Santiago. Unesco recognizes these two routes as the pilgrimage of the rising and setting suns. The Japanese trail issues a dual pilgrimage certificate for walkers that have completed both pilgrimages. Stamps are obtained at the various shrines (combined Shinto and Buddhist). Beautiful trails with rural small towns and not crowded. Unlike the Shikokuenro 88 temples trail which generally takes about two months, the Kumano Kodo has many shorter trails that can be done in a week or two. Highly recommended.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Aus there is this www.pilgrimtrail.com.au/
I seem to remember a Canadian pilgrim talking about a walk in Quebec, maybe ask the question on North American threads.
Yes, there are a number of Caminos being developped in Quebec, but more as long walks, with no religious or spiritual meaning. There are also those who travel to Sainte-Anne de Beaupré basilica, near Quebec City, as a pilgrimage, but it certainly has nothing to do with walking.

When I was on the Primitivo last year I walked off and on with a girl from Quebec, she talked about a way that was used as Chemin de St Jacques, but it was long day and I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have so really can't give specifics.

Try this website www.chemindessanctuaires.org/ I think it wasn't the one she was talking about but could have been a smaller section or link route called Chemin de Saint Jacques, Compostelle des Appalaches which has a website but I can't call it up on my mobile.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all for all your answers !
Indeed a lot of links to read for this weekend :)

There's a new GR in Quebec, being advertised as the first GR outside of Europe.

There is also the Sentier de Kapatakan and the Chemin de Saint-Remi.

As already mentioned, the Camino Salvado from Perth to New Norcia is in Western Australia. It is historically linked to a catholic mission to indigenous people. It's been developed really well and (I believe) is no longer only open to booked groups.

There's also the Bundian Way in New South Wales.

Hello,

Does anybody know if there are any Pilgrimage ways in places such as America, Australia, New-Zealand,.... ?

Thanks
How about a short one in Israel? The Jesus Trail is a 65 km (40 mi) hiking and pilgrimage route in the Galilee region of Israel that traces the route Jesus may have walked, connecting many sites from his life and ministry. The main part of the trail begins in Nazareth and passes through Tzippori, Cana (Kafr Kanna), the Horns of Hattin, Mount Arbel Cliffs, the Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Tabgha, and the Mount of Beatitudes. An alternate return route passes by Tiberias, the Jordan River, Mount Tabor, and Mount Precipice. Short but lots of action!
http://jesustrail.com/

As already mentioned, the Camino Salvado from Perth to New Norcia is in Western Australia. It is historically linked to a catholic mission to indigenous people. It's been developed really well and (I believe) is no longer only open to booked groups.
There's also the Bundian Way in New South Wales.

Thanks "Aussi Peregrino" for your reply, do you know if there are places to sleep along these Austraian trails ? Or must the walkers carry a tent and all sleeping equipment ?

How about a short one in Israel? The Jesus Trail is a 65 km (40 mi) hiking and pilgrimage route in the Galilee region of Israel that traces the route Jesus may have walked, connecting many sites from his life and ministry. The main part of the trail begins in Nazareth and passes through Tzippori, Cana (Kafr Kanna), the Horns of Hattin, Mount Arbel Cliffs, the Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Tabgha, and the Mount of Beatitudes. An alternate return route passes by Tiberias, the Jordan River, Mount Tabor, and Mount Precipice. Short but lots of action!
http://jesustrail.com/

Hi Scruffy1,
Have you waalked this Jesus Trail ? Are there places to sleep ?

Will soon be walking the Aussie Camino from Portland, Victoria to Penola in Sth Australia. It is also called "The Mary MacKillop Way".The website is: www.aussiecamino.org
It has a guidebook which can be obtained from the Mary MacKillop centre. All information is on the website.
Sharon

Will soon be walking the Aussie Camino from Portland, Victoria to Penola in Sth Australia. It is also called "The Mary MacKillop Way".The website is: www.aussiecamino.org
It has a guidebook which can be obtained from the Mary MacKillop centre. All information is on the website.
Sharon
Buen Camino Sharon
When will you walk? Take care
Annie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Kumano Kodo pilgrimage trail in Wakayama, Japan is recognized as the sister trail to the Camino de Santiago. Unesco recognizes these two routes as the pilgrimage of the rising and setting suns. The Japanese trail issues a dual pilgrimage certificate for walkers that have completed both pilgrimages. Stamps are obtained at the various shrines (combined Shinto and Buddhist). Beautiful trails with rural small towns and not crowded. Unlike the Shikokuenro 88 temples trail which generally takes about two months, the Kumano Kodo has many shorter trails that can be done in a week or two. Highly recommended.
Thanks Laura! This is now on my bucket list. :)

Sharon
Hello Sharon, how long is this trail and how many days do you plan to walk ?
Have a good time !!

Buen Camino Sharon
When will you walk? Take care
Annie
Hi Annie,
We are starting on 2nd April. Hopefully, the weather should be beautiful and not hot. Heard there are snakes on this route so I'm hoping they will be hibernating!

Hello Sharon, how long is this trail and how many days do you plan to walk ?
Have a good time !!
Hi Barbara,
The trail can be walked in about 8 to 12 days. It is 230km long. We are planning to take 9 days which means that some days will be long. The first day can be either 20 or 35 km depending where you start. At present there is a day without accommodation unless people walk 40 km. So we are going to have a backup vehicle. There are campsites but we don't want to take tents. We are going to stay in country pubs along the way
Sharon

Hi Annie,
We are starting on 2nd April. Hopefully, the weather should be beautiful and not hot. Heard there are snakes on this route so I'm hoping they will be hibernating!
Sharon
Currently doing this walk is Angeka Finnegan who is from this forum and also a member of sydney pilgrim group /.angela is painting a good picture of their progress to date. They have crossed over into Sth Australia and have walked on some beautiful southern beaches.
Buen Camino.
Annie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sharon
Currently doing this walk is Angeka Finnegan who is from this forum and also a member of sydney pilgrim group /.angela is painting a good picture of their progress to date. They have crossed over into Sth Australia and have walked on some beautiful southern beaches.
Buen Camino.
Annie
Thanks Annie. Everyone that I have spoken to who has done this walk have said how beautiful it is. We are hoping to walk the whole way but will need the backup vehicle to pick us up and drop us off at the same place the next day. Otherwise there would be 2 days of camping. This is in the area from Cape Bridgewater Lakes to Nelson.
Regards
Sharon

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back