• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage

jayree

Time of past OR future Camino
CdS 2012, CdN 2013, Shikoku 2015, CP 2016.
Today I was reading "The Life You Save May Ne Your Own. An American Pilgrimage." by Paul Elie. It is a combined biography of Thomas Merton, Dorothy Day, Flannery O'Connor and Walker Percy. (Richard Rodrigues calls them 'the best Catholic American writers of the twentieth century'). At the beginning Elie defines his idea of pilgrimage as ...

"A pilgrimage is a journey undertaken in the light of a story. A great event has happened; the pilgrim hears the reports and goes in search of the evidence, aspiring to be an eyewitness. The pilgrim seeks not only to confirm the experience of others firsthand but to be changed by the experience.
Pilgrims often make the journey in company, but each must be changed individually; they must see for themselves, each with his or her own eyes. And, as they return to ordinary life the pilgrims must tell others what they saw, recasting the story in their own terms."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Today I was reading "The Life You Save May Ne Your Own. An American Pilgrimage." by Paul Elie. It is a combined biography of Thomas Merton, Dorothy Day, Flannery O'Connor and Walker Percy. (Richard Rodrigues calls them 'the best Catholic American writers of the twentieth century'). At the beginning Elie defines his idea of pilgrimage as ...

"A pilgrimage is a journey undertaken in the light of a story. A great event has happened; the pilgrim hears the reports and goes in search of the evidence, aspiring to be an eyewitness. The pilgrim seeks not only to confirm the experience of others firsthand but to be changed by the experience.
Pilgrims often make the journey in company, but each must be changed individually; they must see for themselves, each with his or her own eyes. And, as they return to ordinary life the pilgrims must tell others what they saw, recasting the story in their own terms."
@jayree thank you for sharing this description.

This has been a common topic or question over the years - what is a real pilgrim or what is a pilgrimage? I can appreciate this definition; thank you for sharing it. Also, I was not familiar with this book - thank you for mentioning it also.

As is common knowledge, the Camino de Santiago de Compostela has been a sacred pilgrimage for hundreds, a thousand years. Prior to the Christain pilgrimage, it was walked by others of other faiths. The point is that the Way has been a sacred path for a very long time. Each step we take on the Camino is a step through time and history. Thousands and thousands of pilgrims have walked where we walk today. How many tears have been spilled along this path we tread? Can we measure the joy that has been sought and/or found? If nothing else, this knowledge teaches me to listen, to be still at times along the Way and one may hear the steps of all those pilgrims putting one foot in front of the other, going the same way, and feeling so many similar things we do on our Camino today.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You have a big idea to walk the Camino. Two days out from Roncesvalles you are sore, disilluisioned, and lonely for your common comforts. But, the idea that put you on the trajectory doesn't die in two days, Facing the challenge of the road is every obstacle you may have never considered before. What pulls you up that long climb? Where is the inspiration that steels your resolve? An undefinable element is belief, not easily understood or explained. Each of us finds what inspires and lifts our souls in our own way.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.