• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimages at Home

mmm042

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
Hi.

All of my long-distance hiking to date has been along the Via de la Plata. That's about to change this Saturday, when I'm going to do a thru-hike of the Ice Age Trail, one of America's 11 National Scenic Trails. The IAT is 1,200 miles, all within Wisconsin (my home state), and traces the edge of the last glaciation.

I'm going to try out some new gear and nutrition on this trek, and am also very curious to see if I will feel at all like I'm on the Camino. I typically hike/run alone on the VDLP, and the same will be true here. I will be staying at B&Bs in small towns at night, just as I do with casas rurales on the VDLP. I'll have dinner in small towns with the locals every night, also as I do on the VDLP. But I'll be following yellow blazes, not yellow arrows. I won't be able to duck into impressive cathedrals or see centuries-old artwork. I won't have to worry about running into sheep or pigs or cattle, but I will have to keep an eye out for black bears and ticks.

Similar, yet different. Personally, I'm already getting into a Camino frame of mind. I hope I'm not disappointed. And I'm curious -- have any of you done other long-distance, non-pilgrimage trails post-Camino and felt a connection?

Oh, and if you want to follow me along the way, I've created this blog: http://epiciceagetrail.blogspot.com/

Melanie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back