• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims “on a mission….”

Zordmot

3rd CF in May 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2022
I just recently completed my CF. At an albergue in Grañon I met a pilgrim “on a mission”. It was a helpful one at that. On a previous Camino he noticed that the kitchen knives in most albergues were woefully dull. So he brought a sharpening stone with him this time and carefully sharped them all up. What a great idea.

My idea for another mission: bring a can of WD-40 and lube up all of the bedroom doors in the albergues. Almost without exception the doors in the albergues squeak LOUDLY—- especially in the middle of the night. The only complication is that you can’t bring WD-40 with you on the plane. It’s very combustible. You’d have to pick it up somewhere in Europe.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just recently completed my CF. At an albergue in Grañon I met a pilgrim “on a mission”. It was a helpful one at that. On a previous Camino he noticed that the kitchen knives in most albergues were woefully dull. So he brought a sharpening stone with him this time and carefully sharped them all up. What a great idea.

My idea for another mission: bring a can of WD-40 and lube up all of the bedroom doors in the albergues. Almost without exception the doors in the albergues squeak LOUDLY—- especially in the middle of the night. The only complication is that you can’t bring WD-40 with you on the plane. It’s very combustible. You’d have to pick it up somewhere in Europe.
WD40, good for the joints as well. 😂

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thatbis so lovely!!!!

During my training I decided that I will pay it back by picking up facemasks from the path. They're everywhere and my back is relieved from the forward roll stretch once in a while 🤓

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that my mission might be to carry a white noise generator to help drown out my snoring
I encountered 2 pilgrims who were each travelling with their C-pap machines. They generate very low volume white noise while making sure the pilgrim wearing the gizmo doesn’t snore, and gets a good night’s sleep. Which means the rest of us also get a good night’s sleep. Serious snorers may want to investigate. Sleep apnea is linked to several serious long-term health issues.

Might need a lubricant instead of a water/rust treatment. I spotted several hardware shops on my recent Frances from SJPP so finding some oil or spray lube locally shouldn’t be a problem.

I encountered 2 pilgrims who were each travelling with their C-pap machines. They generate very low volume white noise while making sure the pilgrim wearing the gizmo doesn’t snore, and gets a good night’s sleep. Which means the rest of us also get a good night’s sleep. Serious snorers may want to investigate. Sleep apnea is linked to several serious long-term health issues.
Absolutely my one stopped me from snoring but it’s too big to bring. I’m looking at mini travel ones now!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree! My husband uses the travel version (which is the size of a soda can). Healthy for the user and respectful for co-sleepers 🤓

I’ve done this! Squeaky doors are a pet peeve of mine and 3in1 weighs nothing. The trouble is that it is impossible to stay at all of the albergues, so the battle will need a much larger army.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
At an albergue in Grañon I met a pilgrim “on a mission”. It was a helpful one at that. On a previous Camino he noticed that the kitchen knives in most albergues were woefully dull. So he brought a sharpening stone with him this time and carefully sharped them all up. What a great idea.

I think I may have posted this link a while back, but any excuse to post it again. If you have 1hr 50 mins at your disposal you are very much likely to enjoy this film.
Stephen's mission was to make sure that all the bothies (very basic hovel/shelters for hill/mountain walkers) in the UK have hooks in place for hanging up wet clothes and gear. He decides to complete his mission on foot, wearing pink shorts, carrying hooks, screws and driver in a substantial pack...

Great idea for the squeaky hinges. Use any all purpose lubricating oil, even baby oil, rather than wd 40. Wd is too thin and won’t last long. Thicker the oil or grease, the better. Work Vaseline into the hinge for easy and very long lasting lube.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Great idea for the squeaky hinges. Use any all purpose lubricating oil, even baby oil, rather than wd 40. Wd is too thin and won’t last long. Thicker the oil or grease, the better. Work Vaseline into the hinge for easy and very long lasting lube.
Excellent idea: Vaseline. Won’t be confiscated at customs if in 8 oz containers

My mission is whenever I stop at a resturant or bar I always clear the tables if they need it. It only takes a few minutes and makes life easier for the staff .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.