• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims and albergues

sharondb

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2010, Camino Frances 2011, Camino Madrid 2014
Hi, I walked the camino Frances in 2010 and 2011 and have been a member of this forum since 2010. I love getting my email everyday to read and hopefully will walk again in 2014. I have a couple of questions I would like to pose to members.

1. This year, is there a greater percentage of walkers using the camino as a cheap walking holiday rather than a pilgrimage?

2. Are our expectations of albergues too high considering their purpose and sometimes limited funds?

3. Why don't people use the search engine first rather than asked a question that has been answered 20 times before?

Thanks. Sharon

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
1. It is probably the same percentage as always. Over half the pilgrims are Spanish, so my guess is that they are religiously motivated, not financially driven. The ones motivated by "The Way" may fall in the category of curious religious tourist, but cost may not be a factor. The movie did not tout it as a bargain hippy trip. It was to memorialize a dead son. I don't think anyone maintains a survey of detailed motives. "Cheap holiday" is not a choice at the Pilgrim Office.

2. There are pilgrims with high expectations, but they are usually educated to reality after a few nights. I have found that friends I have talked to about the Camino are quite aware of the basic nature of many accommodations. Those who cannot adjust complain a lot, and we get to hear that in the Forum. One complainer can make it sound like everyone is disappointed, which is not the case. The vast majority of Forum members have very realistic expectations on almost all issues, but sometimes note a condition that seems to stick out (or in their craw).

3. New members will not have experimented with the search engine, which can return an awful lot of hits. I have even had a return that says the terms are so common that there are too many results to list. Again, a couple of repeat questions a week with the thousands of site visits each week is not out of line. Members who do not like the repeat question have the option to ignore it. Those who would like to help, perhaps for the 20th time, also have the option to respond.

You are welcome,
Falcon 269

I've never been and am hoping to in 2015. Completely inexperienced so my opinions are not really based on much for 2 and 3.
1. It will not be a cheap walking holiday at all for us if we make it. We would be traveling to Europe exclusively to do the camino. For our family I'm guessing that airfares (from Australia) would be around $AU15000, (around $12000 euros I think). There are lots of hiking/walking tour options in Australia, so it isn't a lack of good options or price that motivates us.
2. My expectations will probably be shaped by the forum itself (as well as blogs and vlogs).
3. I have only posted one thread and some aspects of it had already been discussed in other blogs (traveling with children, but I didn't find any discussion on special needs). I sought participating in the forum and getting an open range of perspectives, as well as perspective on something I hadn't seen here. I've played with the search engine and gotten lots of hits or none, so don't doubt I'll miss previous threads (or just want a current perspective if the threads are a little older.).

Your questions do highlight my appreciation for people who contribute to me by answering questions they have perhaps already answered multiple times.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3. Why don't people use the search engine first rather than asked a question that has been answered 20 times before?

falcon269 is, as usually, right on ;)

I just want to add something regarding your third question. If new members would be a little more patient they could've get every information (or at least great majority) needed in about a month when just monitoring "New Posts". Especially those who are asking in March 2013 but would walk in November 2014 ;)
But then again I can feel their anticipation. Why would we be answering their queries over and over again then??? :):):)

Ultreia!

1. I don´t know if the number of peregrinos using the Camino as a cheap holiday is greater. I suppose it´s the same as every year.The only difference is that the number of peregrinos is greater at least in the Camino del Norte. I live in Bilbo and the Camino passes 2 minutes from my doorstep. I see more & more peregrinos everyday . I great them all with the usual " Buen Camino" and they reply back in the same way. I don´t ask them if they are walking for religious reasons or just as a cheap holiday. But it´s great to see so many I must admit.
2.I think most know what an albergue is and understand what it is for and how it works.Some unfortunately don´t and they expect a 5 star hotel for 5€.But as I said these are few.
3.I as a newbee here don´t know how some of the things here work.:confused: I have replied to many threads but haven´t started one yet.I have also noticed some people repeat over & over the same topics ( bedbugs,ponchos,etc.....) instead of reading the boards to see what has been already posted.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1. 2013 was my first camino, so I have no basis for comparison. I do kind of wonder how many really walk the camino as a cheap holiday, period. a) As already pointed out, for anyone coming from outside Europe, just getting to the starting line is not that cheap. I figure it cost me in excess of 1000 Euros just to get to SJPDP (and back home again after). b) While I imagine there are some young people who might be think of this as an adventure holiday, how many of us who have passed 40 or so really fancy spending our holidays walking 20-30 km a day and spending our evenings sleeping with a room full of strangers, just because it is relatively cheap?

2. For myself, I didn't really have any surprises in terms of what the albergue conditions would be like. So, I would think anyone who had done any reading ahead of time should have pretty realistic expectations. Actually, one of the few things I had been worried about going in, reports of beds being right next to another (so that you were basically sleeping with a complete stranger), only happened to me once in the entire camino. And honestly, after you have been walking a week or so, you really start appreciating the little things: A place to hang your clothes in the shower, having enough space between the upper and lower bunks so that you can sit up in bed (or for real luxury, no bunk beds!), adequate space to hang your clothes to dry (and a cooperative sun), etc.

I have to say, there were many albergues I stayed that some nice little bonus beyond the norm that made staying in them more pleasant. A few I remember:

a. In Sarria, the albergue I stayed in had a room with a roaring fire, and in the evening they brought shots of some local liquor for people to try.
b. The Austrian run albergue in Los Arcos has a great common room, with some tropical birds and a wall of postcards and pictures left by previous pilgrims.
c. In Villafranca Montes de Oca, there is an albergue in the back of a hotel. For 10 euros, you can stay in a very new room with no bunk beds, and little dividers that helped to create an illusion of privacy. Plus, there was wonderful bar in the back, high ceiling, stone columns, very quiet with nice blues/jazz playing, and it didn't hurt that the guy working that day, as soon as he realized I was settling in for a long visit, moved the space heater right next to me.

Anyway, there were a lot of places that something extra that I appreciated.

3. I do think that it doesn't hurt to point out to newer members the virtues of using the search engine, which can save time. However, as Falcon pointed out, it is not a perfect solution. The other thing about using the search engine, is that I think sometimes people asking questions are looking for more than the answers. I think that they are looking to have a conversation, and reading a two year old post, however accurate, doesn't work for them.

Last edited:
1 Cheap? I came from US and airfare was quite expensive. Why judge others motives- they will benefit regardless of how they came.
2. No. Everyone I met had very realistic expectations- never heard any complaints.
3. Sometimes the specific nature of a query is not answered by the responses and it helps to hear more opinions.

I walked 4/2013 and finished 5/2013. Was expensive ..spent about $1900 including airfare from USA. Loved that fire room in Sarria, snow and ice in SJPP and all the varied alberques I found along the walk. Did meet a few cheap folks along the way but I wouldn't ever describe them as opportunistic by staying cheaply in refugios. Everyone I met had deep thoughts of the camino...walking 500 miles has a way of expanding your head. The camino is always "your camino" so all have different and similar experiences.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
LOL!! Imagine the Grimwald (?) family walking the Camino in "National Lampoon's Cheap Walking Holiday in Spain" in order to save a buck. Ha! And, as many have pointed out, many have already spent big bucks before they take one step on the Camino.
Surprisingly, I found that most of the locals who live and work along the Camino (except those in the albergues) have never walked the Camino. That would be a cheap walking holiday indeed for them! Could there be something about seeing the dozens of dirty, wet, limping pilgrims trudging through their villages every day that makes them think to themselves "There's a beach by the Mediteranean with my name on it?" :rolleyes:
Joking, joking, it's all good and no one is limping or smelly.

I know for me it will not be cheap or inexpensive. It will be roughly €1000 just for my flight, and probably another €200 to get to León from Madrid and back again after the Camino. If I average €40/day for food, lodging and incidentals the 28 days I will be gone that's another €1120. That's over €2300 and that's not including the odd souvenir, medical expenses (hopefully none but you have to plan anyway). Certainly this is less expensive than my trip to Ireland last year but still a significant amount of money.

Cheap- of inferior workmanship or quality. By using this definition I would certainly not call the Camino cheap. In every pilgrim story I've read and I've read lots, the pilgrims get great value for the money they spend.

My question to you would be, "why is it any of your business why anyone else walks the Camino?" IMO that would be solely the concern of the pilgrim or walker.

I´d like to add that anyone coming from abroad to Spain to walk the Camino has indeed spent a certain amount of money on a ticket. But once in Spain there is a difference between spending 6€ a night in an albergue to spending 30/40 € a night in a hotel. I suppose the original poster meant something along this line. Please correct me if I´m mistaken.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The other thing about using the search engine, is that I think sometimes people asking questions are looking for more than the answers. I think that they are looking to have a conversation, and reading a two year old post, however accurate, doesn't work for them.
Regarding question 3. I totally agree with Thengel1's observation. I believe that many forum members are looking for interaction with fellow pilgrims. Why would many of us otherwise still be hanging around?

But once in Spain there is a difference between spending 6€ a night in an albergue to spending 30/40 € a night in a hotel. I suppose the original poster meant something along this line.
This year, is there a greater percentage of walkers using the camino as a cheap walking holiday rather than a pilgrimage?
Since the question was not on the type of accommodation but the type of walk, your interpretation is a creative one. However, it does allow the original poster the opportunity to be more exact on the implications of the original question.;) Good pivot, I'd say...

1. Don't know.
2. Yes.
3. Cos people are stupid. (tongue firmly in cheek - it is too easy for people to be excited or impatient - and post straight away without searching first.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
3. Cos people are stupid. (tongue firmly in cheek - it is too easy for people to be excited or impatient - and post straight away without searching first.)

As Forrest Gump would say " Stupid is as stupid does."

Buen Camino!

Can't answer #2, as I haven't done the Camino yet (June 2014 is when I go for the first time). But here's my answers:

1. This year, is there a greater percentage of walkers using the camino as a cheap walking holiday rather than a pilgrimage?
You can never really know into the hearts and minds of other pilgrims. But from what I've heard, the majority are there for either religious or spiritual reasons. Personally, I'm doing the Camino first and foremost as a Catholic pilgrimage to honor St. James (a novel idea, I know... :D). Although my motive is purely religious, and I intend to go to Mass as often as possible, most modern-day pilgrims are doing it for an inner, spiritual reason. But whether you're spiritually, religiously, or culturally interested in El Camino de Santiago, in my optimistic opinion very few are there for a "cheap holiday".

2. Are our expectations of albergues too high considering their purpose and sometimes limited funds?

As a new member, I often asked questions that had already been posted before. It takes getting used to this forum to understand what to ask and where to ask it. My advice is: respect those who may be new to this forum, oftentimes they have one question on their mind and just need an answer for that single question. I was the same way; I came to this forum looking for just one answer about planning for the Camino, and I was sucked in! :p All in all, be friendly, and if you can't stand it any longer, ignore the post!

Buen Camino!

1. For most non europeans the camino is hardly a cheap walking holiday - there is the added costs of flights, train travel, insurance, etc, which can easily double the cost of walking the camino. It is certainly more expensive than simply staying home but probably a lot cheaper than spending 30-45 days traveling throughout Europe itself or going somewhere else. I don't think I have met too many non europeans that thought walking the camino was a cheap walking vacation. For europeans, some may consider it a cheap walking holiday - I have certainly met a number of european pilgrims whereby they do regard walking the camino as a walking vacation of sorts (the food, booze and accommodation is certainly cheaper than anywhere in Europe). I have joked that Spain is an alcoholics dream come true. But I have met as many european pilgrims that are walking the camino in stages over a number of years, due to family and work commitments, thus you must respect their commitment to the camino when they could be doing so many other things instead.

2. This is tough to answer simply because most people that have never done the camino have a broad range of expectations in terms of what albergues should be or not. I am sure there are people that think some albergues should be more like the Hilton even though they are only paying less than $10 dollars to have a simple bunk bed and there are some that are grateful that they have access to a bed at any price.

3. Some people are computer savvy and others are not. However not all answers come from Google search (though Google would like you to believe so) and not all answers can be found on this forum too. Some you just have to discover on your own. And sometime you will discover there are no answers to your all questions. Such is life.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back