• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims beware of ear worms!

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Again, soon as possible!
One of the worst afflictions I had whilst walking the Camino was the dreaded ear worm. This is a really nasty thing and impossible to get rid of when one decides to attack you. And they are highly contagious. They also seem to breed more just past Sarria, but I have found them as far back as Geneva.

I wonder how many of you suffered from this awful affliction? And if so what tune was it?

You see, an ‘ear worm’ is a tune, or a song, usually a really awful one, that no matter what you do you just cannot get out of your mind. Next time you see a pilgrim sauntering along singing Abba’s ‘Mama Mia’ or Joe Dolce’s ‘Shaddap You Face’, please remember its not their fault, its probably the dreaded ear worm at work. And now you have caught it too. And next thing you know you have 20 pilgrims singing along to it. Dreadful.

My worst ever moment was getting ready to bed down in a field above Portomarin. It was raining, about 11pm at night and very dark. I was a happy man camping out but just then two pilgrims walked past singing there heads off. Ok, I don’t mind, they are happy, they think they are in the middle of nowhere. But they were singing ‘Barbie Girl’ by Aqua. Two days later it is still in my head. I thought I was doomed.

I have had some terrible bouts of ear worm, has this happened to you? If so what was it? How did you survive?

Davey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The happy walker (or Alex Walker) is my name,
Camino is my way,
I walk about the whole day long,
Camino is my way:
Falleri, fallera,
Falleri, fallerahahahaha
Falleri, fallera,
Camino is my way.

Repeat ad infinitum. Perfect on the Meseta...

Better now?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh my! When I saw the thread title all I could think of was the Twilight Zone episode from years ago where the man had an earwig stuck in his ear. It ate it way all the way through his head and came out his other ear.

Abba is a prime contender for songs that get stuck in my head. Maybe Oakridge Boys or Statler Brothers.

And of course there is a German version:

Der gute wandern' (oder Alex Walker) ist mein nam' ,
Camino ist mein weg,
Ich wandern' an die ganze tag,
Camino ist mein weg:
Falleri, fallera,
Falleri, fallerahahahaha
Falleri, fallera,
Camino ist mein weg.

There exists of course a really good Norw. version, but I'll spare you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino is my way,
Camino is my way:
Falleri, fallera,
Falleri, fallerahahahaha
Falleri, fallera,
Camino is my way.

Better now?

Ha Ha! I wish I never asked! But I've heard worse. Just.

Curiously, I've a "gusano musical" constantly in my head, since years. I often wonder why I got a certain tune going.:confused: The bad thing is, that I am whistling whilst taking a video. Awful:eek:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked with one in our group singing the ad go west. She also sang shaddaupa your face. It was very contagious. We sang lolly pop lolly pop to try and change her tune.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is one for next year.

Camino is my way,
Camino is my way:
Falleri, fallera,
Falleri, fallerahahahaha
Falleri, fallera,
Camino is my way.

Better now?
Arrrrrrgh!!!

Hi Alex.Thanks for reminding us of that chorus.
Many moons ago I did square bashing at Padgate, Warrington.
We were marching around and the camp supremo told the drill sergeant that we didn't look happy and we should sing.
So we sang that blinking song and only that song for the last 7 weeks and 6 days.

Thanks so much!

Add to the list - I will survive by Gloria Gaynor. Guaranteed to get you thought the worst weather or the last couple of km's.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I picked up a wonderful earwurm in Ponte De Lima...actually, our entire Camino 'Family' caught it and hummed it together for the rest of Camino!

One of the worst afflictions I had whilst walking the Camino was the dreaded ear worm. This is a really nasty thing and impossible to get rid of when one decides to attack you. And they are highly contagious. They also seem to breed more just past Sarria, but I have found them as far back as Geneva.

I wonder how many of you suffered from this awful affliction? And if so what tune was it?

You see, an ‘ear worm’ is a tune, or a song, usually a really awful one, that no matter what you do you just cannot get out of your mind. Next time you see a pilgrim sauntering along singing Abba’s ‘Mama Mia’ or Joe Dolce’s ‘Shaddap You Face’, please remember its not their fault, its probably the dreaded ear worm at work. And now you have caught it too. And next thing you know you have 20 pilgrims singing along to it. Dreadful.

My worst ever moment was getting ready to bed down in a field above Portomarin. It was raining, about 11pm at night and very dark. I was a happy man camping out but just then two pilgrims walked past singing there heads off. Ok, I don’t mind, they are happy, they think they are in the middle of nowhere. But they were singing ‘Barbie Girl’ by Aqua. Two days later it is still in my head. I thought I was doomed.

I have had some terrible bouts of ear worm, has this happened to you? If so what was it? How did you survive?

Davey
Absolutely! It happens to me every time. Very strange. And usually stupid songs and tunes too...goes on for days. Wonder if there is any research about it.

Absolutely! It happens to me every time. Very strange. And usually stupid songs and tunes too...goes on for days. Wonder if there is any research about it.

Joking aside, I really noticed it, and it sometimes got annoying too when something gets stuck in your head for days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know how many times I sang or heard in my head - "I'm Henry the 8th I am..... 2nd verse same as the first..." on my caminos. Now I'm going to have to try to get that stupid song out of my head this weekend! And yes, there is research on ear worms. We must all concentrate on something like doing a puzzle, so the brain has to work for us, rather than pumping out silly songs.

I don't know how many times I sang or heard in my head - "I'm Henry the 8th I am..... 2nd verse same as the first..." on my caminos. Now I'm going to have to try to get that stupid song out of my head this weekend! And yes, there is research on ear worms. We must all concentrate on something like doing a puzzle, so the brain has to work for us, rather than pumping out silly songs.

Thanks, now I've got that stuck in my head!

Yep, When the brain is idle I think it just invents something to do

Joking aside, I really noticed it, and it sometimes got annoying too when something gets stuck in your head for days.

Maybe I should start another thread on food cravings. When I start thinking about food, usual one type of food like pitza it cannot stop think about it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Davey
Holy Grail, by Australian band Hunters and Collectors, was my personal theme song on the Camino last year, and I actually didn't mind that it hung out in my head for the month.
When Barbie Girl came visiting, though, I booted it out of my brain very quickly...five minutes of zen-like repetition of the seven-times-table is all it takes.
Seven ones are seven...
Seven twos are fourteen...
Seven threes are twenty-one...

I tended to remember TV theme songs from my youth. Mr. Ed comes to mind ("A horse is a horse of course of course..." Especially when I'd see a horse.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In both 2015 and 2016, The Odd Couple theme crept into my brain and wouldn't leave. I have no idea why since I have maybe seen the film once...

Davey

Davey

Davey
It's a small world after all ... It's a small, small world.
You're welcome

The dreaded "Body Parts" song from Coffee Break Spanish:

Cabeza, hombros, piernas, pies, piernas, pies.
Cabeza, hombros, piernas, pies, piernas, pies
Ojos, orejas, boca y nariz
Cabeza, homrbos, piernas pies, piernas, pies.

Mind you it does have a certain zen like quality as you trudge along.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"(Woa-o) | We're half way there | (Woa-oo) | Livin' on a prayer | Take my hand | We'll make it I swear | (Woa-oo) | Livin' on a prayer..."

I'd hoped for better, but that's what earworm gave me on the CF.

Brilliant!

I know the earworm concept more than well.
I will not put the dreadful ( Belgian ) music here because otherwise all of you will be contaminated for ever. ;) You will just have to believe me.

What the OH and I always say when we cannot get this kind of earworm go away : Let's call the Youngblood Brassband to help us out. They are with more people, they are loud enough and they play darn good music.

One day I got the following running about my head:

It's a long way to Santiago, it's a long way to go,
It's a long way to Santiago to the sweetest Saint I know.
Goodbye Ponferrada, farewell León too,
It's a long long way to Santiago but my shoes point there.

I thought I had made it up in my head as I went along until I watched 'The Way" yet again and realised they used similar words at one point.

Apologies if I've infected someone!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One day I got the following running about my head:

It's a long way to Santiago, it's a long way to go,
It's a long way to Santiago to the sweetest Saint I know.
Goodbye Ponferrada, farewell León too,
It's a long long way to Santiago but my shoes point there.

I thought I had made it up in my head as I went along until I watched 'The Way" yet again and realised they used similar words at one point.

Apologies if I've infected someone!

Yep you here that one a lot!

My husband often sings a great song by Emmanuel called "Quiero dormir cansado". While walking, it popped into my head so I took the liberty of relyricing it. I sung this pretty much every day...

Quiero ir al escusado
para no aguantarme más
quiero orinar profundamente

Porque tomo mucha agua
Y el camino se hace largo (2x’s)

Al baño quiero ir al baño
Al baño rápidamente
Porque tome mucha agua
Y el litro quiere salirse

Dirígeme hacia el aseo
Hacia un bendito aseo
Lo necesito ahora
Donde está el próximo pueblo?

Sorry.

Davey
Walked my first Camino on the Frances from May 4 to June 17 - the whole time it was REM's 'Losing my Religion' and Paul McCartney's 'Long and Winding Road'.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[QUOTE="Davey Boyd, post: 433534, member: 41950"

Davey[/QUOTE]

Hahahha! We need a "LAUGH OUT LOUD" button!
I detest ear worms, especially when I'm trying to sleep.
Little buggers!

I'll build a Stairway to Paradise has stuck in my ear since last weekend and I can't get rid of it.

I'll build a stairway to Paradise
With a new step ev'ry day !
I'm gonna get there at any price;
Stand aside, I'm on my way !
I've got the blues
And up above it's so fair.
Shoes ! Go on and carry me there !
I'll build a stairway to Paradise
With a new step every day.

Last edited:
For my last Camino I could not get The Servant Song by Richard Gillard out of my head. The tune is a real ear worm. Not that I minded, I think the words entirely appropriate for the Camino, particularly the second and fourth verse:

"We are pilgrims on on the journey
We are brothers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load

I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow
Til we've seen this journey through"

The rest of the verses are lovely too.

Here it is for those who do not fear infection:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you all forgotten this contribution to the World's culture ?

My husband often sings a great song by Emmanuel called "Quiero dormir cansado". While walking, it popped into my head so I took the liberty of relyricing it. I sung this pretty much every day...

Quiero ir al escusado
para no aguantarme más
quiero orinar profundamente
Porque tomo mucha agua
Y el camino se hace largo (2x’s)

Al baño quiero ir al baño
Al baño rápidamente
Porque tome mucha agua
Y el litro quiere salirse

Dirígeme hacia el aseo
Hacia un bendito aseo
Lo necesito ahora
Donde está el próximo pueblo?

Sorry.

OMG that is hilarious. I needed some humor tonight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.