• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pilgrim's credential

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Where can I get a pilgrim's credential in Ferrol? Is there a special office? Is it necessary to have one if I don't stay in albergues?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The credential has another role, and that is to serve as proof to the Pilgrim Office that you completed the distance requirement for the Compostela. It is a record of where you started and that you have collected the required number of sellos each day.

I think you posted on another thread recently that you were not interested in receiving a Compostela when you reach Santiago. The only other reason you might need a credencial is to have access to albergues. If you are sure that you will not be staying in albergues then a credencial is not essential. I do not know where one might be found in Ferrol.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think you posted on another thread recently that you were not interested in receiving a Compostela when you reach Santiago. The only other reason you might need a credencial is to have access to albergues. If you are sure that you will not be staying in albergues then a credencial is not essential. I do not know where one might be found in Ferrol.[/QUOTE

After reading all the posts on "real pilgrims" and the compostela, it got me thinking more about the value of the credential. Collecting the stamps requires interaction between the pilgrim and those who stamp the credential. It is through interaction that we learn and grow. It's the perfect ice-breaker. I see potential value in the collecting of stamps.

edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Susan - Just a tip in case you are wondering why your reply appeared in the pink shaded area... When you quote something, it is enclosed in the word QUOTE and square brackets [ ] at the start and end. If you accidentally type your response inside that last bracket, your reply will be embedded in the quote. That's what happened with your last reply. If you want, you can go back to edit your post. I think :):) you will see a bracket at the end of your text, that should be after the last word QUOTE like this: QUOTE]

Thanks C clearly. Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where can I get a pilgrim's credential in Ferrol? Is there a special office? Is it necessary to have one if I don't stay in albergues?

Hrm... that's a good question... when I did the English Camino I picked one up in Santiago before busing up to Ferrol though I had previously done the French Route so was already familiar with Santiago. I'm not sure where in Ferrol to get one but my guess is the Tourist office right near the water/start of the walk. Only issue is apparently it doesn't open until 10 AM so you might want to get one the day prior if you aren't getting one in advance.

If you want a compostela when you arrive in Santiago, you need the credential.

I got mine at Hotel Silva where I stayed in Ferrol before doing the Ingles. Nice place. Nice staff.

I believe you can get one at the tourist office in Ferrol. Most hotels have them.

It also serves as a nice reminder of where you stopped at to grab a beer/coffee. Or where you slept at.

I made notes on mine by the stamps. Names of people I met and places I liked.

I pull out my credential from my two Camino Frances walks (2014 & 2015) and take a look at the stamps, names of towns, and such.

Better to have one than not and be sorry you didn't get one.

On the Ingles it is best to try and get two stamps per day.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back