• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims events in London - dates for your diary

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
There are a number of events on the weekend of 22/23 November which may be of interest:

On 22 November at the Confraternity of St James Office (http://www.csj.org.uk) there is an office Open Day 10.30-3pm

At 3.30pm on the 22nd also at the CSJ Office there is the annual Storrs lecture: Criticising and defending pilgrimage in the early Middle Ages to be given by Prof Dame Jinty Nelson.

The following day - Sunday 23 November there is a Service of Thanksgiving to mark the close of the 25th Anniversary year of the CSJ this will be held in St Mary's Church, Clapham at 2pm: http://www.stmarys-clapham.org.uk/

The Organist of Santiago Cathedral who plays every day for the Pilgrims' Mass is coming to London to play for the Service and the CSJ choir will sing. The Service will include the Hymn to the Apostol which is sung when the Botafumeiro flies - you have to come along to see if there will be holy smoke in London too!

As well as hearing Joaquin the organist of the Cathedral this is an unprecedented opportunity for everyone to meet - in person - our host - IVAR REKE who will also be there.

Following the Service there is an anniversary lunch - to be booked in advance - details to be found on the CSJ website.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be there - I'm afraid only for the first half hour or so on Saturday as I have another meeting - but it will be good to meet anyone else,

Andy

JohnnieWalker said:
annual Storrs lecture: Criticising and defending pilgrimage in the early Middle Ages to be given by Prof Dame Jinty Nelson.

As you know, John, I can't make it as I'm indisposed -suffering a forced diet of vino rosso and Italian cuisine, with generous helpings of philosophy. Would it be possible for those who cannot attend to obtain a copy of the lecture please? It sounds very interesting.

Regards to all at CSJ. My September Bulletin arrived today, and thanks for the write up about my Worcester-Santiago walk on the Members' Page. I'll write an article about that during my Christmas break and send it in.

I will keep the events of next weekend in my prayers at the shrine of St Paul just across the road from the Pontifical Beda seminary here, at St Paul's Outside the Walls. The basilica has become a very busy pilgrimage destination this year, as it is the year of St Paul.

Gareth

Regards duly passed on. We'll think about you on Sunday afternoon as the Hymn to the Apostol which accompanies the Botafumeiro in Santiago Cathedral is sung!

The Storrs lectures are published by ther CSJ - happy reading.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to the CSJ and John for organising this event, it was great to meet some forum members in the flesh at last! The service, especially the music, was wonderful. There were some lovely touches including the yellow flechas leading to the church, and our re-creation of the botufumiero! The meal was fabulous too, a very sociable event. I didn't anticipate we would actually be eating pulpo!
So just to prove we exist outside cyberspace, here is the evidence...
L-R, Marion, Me, Johnnie, Ivar and Maria
Many of you will have had contact with Marion through her great work at the CSJ office. Johnnie Walker has held many of our (cyber) hands along the camino ingles, and now the camino portugues, thanks to his very welcome updates of the CSJ guides. Ivar needs no introduction but Maria, his lovely wife, deserves a special mention for tolerating the amount of time Ivar must spend running this site which is invaluable to us all. (You really deserve those shoes, Maria!)
There was some talk of Ivar organising a pilgrim get together in Santiago next year and now I have put it in writing he will have to follow through....
Great to meet you all!
Laura

Attachments

• CSJ Clapham 2.JPG
    CSJ Clapham 2.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 593
It was nice meeting you as well Laura!!

... and a big thank you to John and Marion for organizing a nice mass and "Open Day" (on Saturday). It was also nice to meet William and Howard and the other pilgrims that stopped by the CSJ office on Saturday.

Maria and I came back to Santiago with smiles on our faces after a very nice weekend.... and yes, Maria came back with some nice blue shoes! It should also be said that John had invited the organist at the Cathedral in Santiago to play at Sundays mass. Our own JonnieWalker is a great organizer and do great things for the CSJ.

During our Lunch (at a Galician restaurant) Laura came up with the idea that I might try to set up a "forum-meet-up" some time next year in Santiago. I have been thinking about the same idea, so let me think about it some more and see if I can set something up... it is not possible to find a date that will fit for everyone that would like to come, but it might be worth a try and see how many can make it. More on this later.

Saludos,
Ivar

Attachments

• IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 523
Lovely to see the pictures - we were disappointed not to be able to get to London for the weekend, or just the service, but with bridesmaid dress trying on, new baby due at any moment etc , we couldn't manage it.

Even so, with this forum, it feels like we are all connected and friends, right across the world!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.