• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims hosting Pilgrims

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
What about having a thread where people can offer (non-commercial) hospitality to other pilgrims? Info on the publicly viewable thread could be restricted to:

Where (town/camino)
What (bed/room/food etc)

Everything else like contact could be handled via private message ...

What do you think?
BC SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here in France there is a Chain of Local (donativo) Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here. Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river.
We have a b & b but also provide simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path.

Just send me a PM for more info!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed with a number of pilgrim host families while walking the via francigena through northern France. They provided me with some of my best memories of the pilgrimage and they certainly helped me find a comfortable place to sleep in areas where commercial lodgings were hard to find. A readily available list of such places sounds like a great idea.

What about having a thread where people can offer (non-commercial) hospitality to other pilgrims? Info on the publicly viewable thread could be restricted to:

Where (town/camino)
What (bed/room/food etc)

What do you think?
BC SY
I like the idea, Sybil!
Anyway I already hosted two pilgrims in my house (bed & food etc.) and met few more for a drink or even a walking/car trip over here (Slovenia).

The topic has already been discussed I think a couple of years ago. I'm too sleepy right now to find the link but I do remember that Ivar didn't want to have anything with it because of different reasons but mostly about possible glitches between hosts and guests and then he/forum would be somehow related to or liable for that. And then the initiative sank somewhere in the history of the forum threads...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lovely idea. As soon as I'm established again in London I'd be happy to host people (most likely en route to the camino) if they can put up with rather basic accomodation.

Where (town/camino)
What (bed/room/food etc)

What do you think?
BC SY
What A great idea.
I live in Copenhagen, Denmark and we do have a Camino, so everybody feel free to contact me.
I don’t have a big house, but I will figure something out
😊

You have to be very careful with things like this. The wrong person happens on this, and he puts you on his subscriber list of "Secret Insider Free Lodgings" and you find yourself hosting freeloaders from all over the world. This is why I had to remove myself from the CouchSurfing network, which went within a few months from fun, curious people sharing experiences to my house becoming a free crash-pad for cynical cheapskates on their way to the Costas from the Santander ferry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You have to be very careful with things like this. The wrong person happens on this, and he puts you on his subscriber list of "Secret Insider Free Lodgings" and you find yourself hosting freeloaders from all over the world.

Hospitality sites can work perfectly provided the host states clearly what s/he is willing and able to provide and what s/he expects of the guest. I have been a member of 5W (Women Welcome Women Worldwide) for 20 years, and of WarmShowers (hospitality for touring cyclists) for the the past 5 years, and have never yet encountered a freeloader. Both organisations have a few basic rules and recommendations for hosts and guest, e.g. no turning up unannounced, no outstaying your welcome (5W), and guests must arrive by bicycle (WS). Camino forum members, especially those accustomed to off-season municipal albergues, are welcome to stay in my west of Ireland cold-comfort farmhouse, where I can promise them minimal facilities, plenty of mud and floods, and no transport. PM me for further horrid details.

I traveled many years ago as a Servas traveler (with Servas hosts). Check it out on the web -- it is a lovely way to meet people from all over the world, promote cultural exchange, and generally work for peace. There is no charge and visitors are expected to spend at least 2 nights in order to avoid those who would just use it for free lodging. It might provide an excellent format for developing a camino walkers' exchange.

You have to be very careful with things like this. The wrong person happens on this, and he puts you on his subscriber list of "Secret Insider Free Lodgings" and you find yourself hosting freeloaders from all over the world. This is why I had to remove myself from the CouchSurfing network, which went within a few months from fun, curious people sharing experiences to my house becoming a free crash-pad for cynical cheapskates on their way to the Costas from the Santander ferry.
You have a point. In the early 80's I met a person in Europe who was a member of a group called 'Globetrotters' or similar. Members were supposed to offer hospitality to fellow members passing through their part of the world. The individual I met was a hard-nosed and opportunistic freeloader who was aggressive in insisting on his right to a meal/accommodation, no matter how inconvenient to the prospective host. He traveled around the world on the proverbial 'smell of an oily rag', unsurprisingly making his own funds stretch for a considerable period. Like some examples? He slept in Victoria train station in London because it was free and the police would not bother him. And he delayed needed dental treatment until he arrived in the then-USSR, as he knew it was provided free there. It certainly takes all types...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Same thing happened to me living on the south coast of NSW in Australia. I had argument with one couple who wanted to hang out for days, and if eventually discovered they gatecrashed someones place further down the coast where they proceeded to "move in". she had to get the Police involved. Not your average situation, but when one lives in a tourist destination, it can happen.

I’ve hosted pilgrims in NZ and while I like the idea of a worldwide Pilgrims Hosting Pilgrims, if @ivar has some reservations, we should bring this thread to his attention before it runs away.
Hosts could insist on seeing a compostela from prospective pilgrims;-)

I’ve hosted pilgrims in NZ and while I like the idea of a worldwide Pilgrims Hosting Pilgrims, if @ivar has some reservations, we should bring this thread to his attention before it runs away.
Hosts could insist on seeing a compostela from prospective pilgrims;-)

Or pilgrim passport if they are on their way to the Camino!! ;-)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Or pilgrim passport if they are on their way to the Camino!! ;-)
I’m guessing most first-time pilgrims pick a route that has reasonable accomodation so they might not need/want this - unless there’s someone in Paris or Madrid. Questions about those places occur fairly frequently.

It seems to me that people are talking about two different types of "Pilgrims hosting pilgrims". On the one hand, we have pilgrims living on camino routes offering space to pilgrims walking caminos. mspath, Sheffield James, and mette seem to be talking about this type of arrangement. If one is concerned about freeloaders, one might ask to see a ceredencial in this type of situation.

The other is people offering space off of any of the marked camino routes to fellow pilgrims who happen to be travelling in the area. KinkyOne, Dorpie, Paladina, and Kiwi-family seem to be talking about this kind of arrangement. Someone has made the suggestion that a compostela could be brought to establish bona fides but it seems to me that many might not want to take their compostelas travelling with them. Maybe you ask them at the door which camino they walked and when. It seems to me that anyone taking someone up on this type of offer would reasonably expect to spend some time with their hosts reminiscing and discussing caminos. Freeloaders who got the address from some list somewhere would not be able to do that.

In any case, I don't think that posting one's address in a list like this can be considered any sort of promise of accommodation bringing with it "rights" as described in any of the warning stories above. People may arrive when hosts are on vacation, entertaining others, or otherwise don't have time to take on visitors. Hosts can have house rules and if guests don't like them, they are free to lodge elsewhere. The same goes if guests have requirements that hosts aren't willing to meet - the prospective guests can find other lodgings that meet their requirements. The arrangement, it seems to me, could be cancelled by either side for any reason they want. It has to be mutually acceptable. I think we can trust the kind of forum member who would offer this kind of thing not to turf someone into the street in the middle of the night unless the situation was dire.

I live near the Vezeley route. If anyone is stuck between Perigueux and Mussidan I'm happy to help If I can (and happy to be on a list)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I understand the hesitations, warnings and caveats that some have posted in this thread. Opening your home to a stranger carries risk, as does seeking shelter in the home of a stranger. The rules of the tribe bind me.

If anyone from the forum PM's me seeking shelter then, obviously, I'll check how many "likes" they've given me, and whether they have agreed with all my pontifications. ;0)

Aside from that I'll just put another log on the fire and another bowl and tumbler on the table.

Freeloaders are no different from "tourists" on the Caminos - they're just Pilgrims who have not yet found their Way

It seems to me that people are talking about two different types of "Pilgrims hosting pilgrims". On the one hand, we have pilgrims living on camino routes offering space to pilgrims walking caminos. mspath, Sheffield James, and mette seem to be talking about this type of arrangement. If one is concerned about freeloaders, one might ask to see a ceredencial in this type of situation.

The other is people offering space off of any of the marked camino routes to fellow pilgrims who happen to be travelling in the area. KinkyOne, Dorpie, Paladina, and Kiwi-family seem to be talking about this kind of arrangement. Someone has made the suggestion that a compostela could be brought to establish bona fides but it seems to me that many might not want to take their compostelas travelling with them. Maybe you ask them at the door which camino they walked and when. It seems to me that anyone taking someone up on this type of offer would reasonably expect to spend some time with their hosts reminiscing and discussing caminos. Freeloaders who got the address from some list somewhere would not be able to do that.
Not really so in my case. There is a (Slovenian) Camino de Santiago just over the hill from my house and peregrina on her way "in opposite" direction slept over.
Other encounters were with pilgrims on EPW (European Peace Walk), once I walked two stages of it (different branch though) with fellow forum member and just one time a forum member and pilgrim who came to my city for a marathon was given some of my time and hospitality.
Anyway I would offer B&B to anyone that would need it. To Caminoists even more so.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.