• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims I met on the Camino

Juliec55

Just wondering if there is some where on this forum, where I could find some of the lovely folks I met whilst on the Camino Frances. Some people I had the foresight to obtain emails etc. and some people would ask for mine. but others.. well you know how it is. I unrealistically thought I would bump into them in Santiago and I am sure they too thought the same thing. It would be nice if there could be a heading such as " Where are they now" lol. First names only of course. Any ideas?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Julie, I have the same sentiments. From some of the fellow pilgrims I received and e-address, but not from everyone. I tell myself that this is how it is ment to be...but still...
Must you know a certain Carol(e) in her early sixties, working for a consultancy ( one of the big six ) in the bigger Toronto area that would be fab... :D 8)

Find one on Facebook, and you may find several more because they shared email addresses.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
falcon269 said:
Find one on Facebook, and you may find several more because they shared email addresses.
... and e-mail those who's address you have.

Sadly such a tiny percentage of the total pilgrim family use this Forum.... many don't speak English well enough to get the full benefit.
The Facebook suggestion sounds interesting.
I made a real friend [I thought] on the VdlP in May, but he hasn't replied to any e-mails I sent him :(
Maybe he didn't like me *sob* or maybe he's still up on the mountain top, lost in the snow drifts ....

Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

I am in the same boat, Julie. I left without getting email or phones for two of the most wonderful people I met on the Camino - Janice and Susan from Florida. I left a message for them at the Parador in Santiago but I have no way of knowing if they got it. I also lost Katie from Canada and Tracy from England/Australia . You just think you have so much time and plenty more opportunities to see your favorites and share info!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I reiterate. Facebook. I got one email address, then went on Facebook and shortly had over a dozen international Friends I had met on the Camino through that one connection. Your best chance of finding the lost is Facebook.

Of course, I week later I dropped Facebook for a second time. People who had my email address in their contact lists suddenly popped up as suggestions for Friendship. Information others had submitted to Facebook were used to track me down and create a profile, the use of which would be completely out of my control.

Facebook is a great tool for social contact, and an enormous danger to privacy. Against my will, I am now part of a permanent network of those with whom I may have had the most casual of interaction. At age fourteen I may have welcomed that. At age twenty-five when applying for a job, I might regret it!

It will be your best chance of reconnecting, far superior to this Forum.

Via someone from whom I HAD taken the e-mail address I was "invited" to join the "Closed" September 2011 Camino group, that someone had started on Facebook. With this, I have contact with about 10 Camino friends, can see and enjoy their photos, sometimes even see one of me or Adriann that I hadn't realized had been taken ( one of us walking under our big umbrella as protection from the sun, for instance)!
Anyway, it works. This little group regularly up-dates the site, posts their next intended walk,invites other to join, etc.
Anne

As full disclosure after sort of recommending Facebook, here is a CNN article from today:
(CNN) -- Every week, there's a new Facebook thing to gripe about.

This week, there have been two -- and it's only Tuesday.

On Sunday, it was discovered that the 900 million-person social network was "testing" a feature that would let people see a digital list of the people who were nearby in real life. Called "Find Friends Nearby," the app was pulled down by Tuesday morning after the Internet freaked out. Commenters said things like "Hell to the naw" and "BAD FACEBOOK!!" and generally complaining that the feature, which was difficult to find, much less use, invades privacy and will lead to stalking.

If that's not enough, a company named Friendthem reportedly threatened a lawsuit, saying Facebook stole its idea for the location-aware feature. Apparently, Friendthem would like to share the heat.

Facebook: You've got a new email address

Item two: A blogger noticed over the weekend that Facebook, without asking permission, had changed the default e-mail addresses of all of its digital residents to @facebook.com accounts. It's easy enough to change back, as the site Lifehacker and others have detailed, but that little invasion of the hub of digital identity -- the Facebook Timeline -- was enough to make quite a few Facebookers fire back at their digital overlords. Security researchers called the move dangerous. Normal people felt violated.
Be aware of the tactics and dangers of Facebook before you use it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
falcon269 said:
Be aware of the tactics and dangers of Facebook before you use it.
Wise advice, Falcon!
I'll stick to collecting e-mail addresses from co-pilgrims and take developments from there :wink:

Well, in case anyone reads this and either knows her or her companions, I met a woman from Oregon (Washington) who was walking with two women from San Diego in mid-September. The last time I talked with her was in Villamayor de Monjardin. She had been taking taxis to keep up but had to return home because of feet and illness. Just let her know I'm thinking of her.

well, I have been on the camino a couple of times and learned that if I want to keep in touch with anyone the first thing is to get their e- mail address, their Facebook identity oe telephone number.
So my guide and note books are full of e- mail addresses and telephone numbers. When at home I send my co- pilgs pics and we share memories and plan for the next caminos together. I have camino friends in quite many countries in Europe, Canada, USAand some in Australia and New Zealand.
I will and have met them in their home countries as well as they are welcome to my home whenever they are in Stockholm, Sweden. And some of my co-pilgs and quite many forum members I have had meet- ups with in Spain also.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back