• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims locked in at albergue La Robla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denniswalkcamino

Viviendo el sueno
Time of past OR future Camino
CF,CP,VDLP,CI,CS,CN
We are two pilgrims who are locked in at the municipal albergue in La Robla. The dormitory door is locked and we can not go out or to toilet. We have tried calling the hospitarero on ‭+34 659 093 647‬ numerous times and sent him 2 text messages. But no answer. Not sure what to do at this stage. Looks like we might have to wait till tomorrow, at least we are locked in, not out. We have a bed to sleep. Has anyone had problems with doors here before?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No toilet access?
If I was alone there would be a present for them in the corner when I was “released”.
If I was not alone, call the local police.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a huge safety concern, in case of fire or othe emergency situation. As stated in the previous reply, call the emergency number.

We are two pilgrims who are locked in at the municipal albergue in La Robla. The dormitory door is locked and we can not go out or to toilet. We have tried calling the hospitarero on ‭+34 659 093 647‬ numerous times and sent him 2 text messages. But no answer. Not sure what to do at this stage. Looks like we might have to wait till tomorrow, at least we are locked in, not out. We have a bed to sleep. Has anyone had problems with doors here before?

This is completely illegal as has been mentioned elsewhere on the Forum before (it happens occasionally but is thankfully rare). And against all fire and health & safety regulations. I agree with the recommendation to call the police (112) if you are unable to get out of the building. Especially if you can't get to the toilet!! Yeesh - what do they expect you to use through the night?! Call the police - that 112 number has English-speaking operators to whom you can explain the situation. As it's now late at night for you, that's the best and safest option.

Edit to add: The La Robla Ayuntamiento website has a number for the local police ( 629 938 005 ) but i don't know if they would still be there as late as this. 112 probably still the best option.

Good luck!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Update, we tried to call the hospitarero again this morning, no luck. So called the emergency number as suggested, and they got the local police to come and opened the door for us. The door was jammed and the police had to break the lock. As soon as the door was unlocked, both of us rushed to the toilet. Hahaha. Anyways. Thanks all for your help. We are on our way to podadura now.

Phew,!!! Relief!

Phew,!!! Relief!

Relieved that they are OUT, indeed.

But other than that very happy fact, the door remained locked during the entire night, the hospitalero did not answer calls nor texts and the Police still had to come to the rescue. This is not a happy situation. I hope the Police had a stern word with that hospitalero.

Dennis how the hell mate, you have red wine with you?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A happy ending! ;) Enjoy every moment, this is the most beautiful part of the San Salvador.
Buen Camino!

Can you fill us all in on the outcome??? Thanks and I hope there’s no negative effects to your ordeal

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks. That is so concerning but pleased they’re ok

I don't think that I would have waited until morning to call the police.

Nor me. This would have freaked me out. I can imagine breaking a window to get out of there. I also wouldn't have been able to wait till morning for the toilet!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The window at the end of the dorm opens fine!

I stayed there 8 April this year:

412.jpg

Jill

We are three Canadian peregrinas from this forum in the La Robla albergue and everything seems fine. It appears that the door to the bunk room must have got jammed. Not sure why it would have been closed in the first place as that isn’t necessary. Almost full house tonight. Eight of us so far and at least one more spotted with his pack down the street having lunch. Perhaps he is passing through but there have been thunderstorms today and we are all very happy to be safe inside the albergue.

This is a great albergue by the way. A very pleasant and helpful hospitalero. Bunk room sleeps 16 in bunks. The place is very clean and it has a well stocked and spacious kitchen with dining area. Separate facilities for men and women, two showers, two sinks, two toilets for each. And a designated laundry area with racks on which to hang clothes. My stuff is currently “drying” outside on the front terrace. Hope the sun comes out at some point or I may be schlepping wet clothes in one of my drybags tomorrow!

I remember La Robla as a great little Albergue and the hospi as helpful. My first time through the little bar in the park was open and the bar tenders mum cooked us an enormous tortilla francesca with chorizo and queso, last time through it was shut and a bit cobwebby. I hope they're open again by now.

I also remember a washing machine in the cupboard to the right of the entrance. A high-speed spin helped get our stuff dry on a moist day.

I also remember a washing machine in the cupboard to the right of the entrance. A high-speed spin helped get our stuff dry on a moist day.[/QUOTE]

Wish we had that today! Sadly no spin drying. Just drip.

E.

How are the weather and trail conditions on the San Salvador? Is there still any snow lying around?

I also remember a washing machine in the cupboard to the right of the entrance. A high-speed spin helped get our stuff dry on a moist day.

Wish we had that today! Sadly no spin drying. Just drip.

E.[/QUOTE]
Have a rummage about. When you are stood on the 'patio' there are one or two doors to the right of the entrance door. One led to a cupboard with drying racks, mops & buckets and the secadora.

Oh, and ENJOY!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How are the weather and trail conditions on the San Salvador? Is there still any snow lying around?

We were pretty lucky with the weather. Usually sunny and warm during the day, and some rain in the late afternoon and night. There are still snow at the top of the mountains, but it’s not cold.

Hola!

I'm starting the camino Salvador this week and am curious to hear what the weather is like. My app says rain and thunderstorms, but I'd much rather hear the details from you guys on the front lines!

Cheers, and buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We were pretty lucky with the weather. Usually sunny and warm during the day, and some rain in the late afternoon and night. There are still snow at the top of the mountains, but it’s not cold.
Thank you for takingthe time to reply.

That is a most unusual situation, and I am glad the two of you did not have to or chose to apply extreme measures that might have destroyed the albergue; municipal albergues are a sensitive gem, and when they suffer damages, they may take months and months to fix and reopen (take the one in Almadén de la Plata, for example, which is currently closed). Albergues are a most valuable resource that local councils offer us, and we should be grateful for that, even if mistakes are made ocasionally.

I understand it is not a pleasant situation, but taking a sensible, relaxed approach and avoid panic is the way to go, you should not need to leave the albergue in a rush, except for some UNUSUAL emergency situation, and in such case you would always have the windows to open or break.

As to leaving a stool in a corner, I will not go further down that road since the person who proposed that stupide idea apologized for it inmediately.

And thanks to the way you acted, other pilgrims will be able to enjoy this FANTASTIC camino, one of most scenic and beautiful mountain crossings along all caminos.

All in all, BUEN CAMINO!

Hola!

I'm starting the camino Salvador this week and am curious to hear what the weather is like. My app says rain and thunderstorms, but I'd much rather hear the details from you guys on the front lines!

Cheers, and buen Camino!

Beautiful until today. We are in Pajares and there was a major thunder/ rainstorm this afternoon. We arrived in Pajares soaked to the skin. Weather forecast is showing rain over the next few days and thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon in the Cordillera.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Beloved and I missed a thunderstorm by minutes last year in Pajares. Was lovely to sit and watch mountain weather at its wildest while sipping a cold beer from the machine in the common room.
We got our drenching the following day on the descent to Campomanes.

How about this - two years ago in melide, 8 o'clock in the evening. The owner turned of the electricity and left. No light anywhere. Only 8 pilgrims - all walking around with flashlights - also in the toilets and bathrooms.
Or this one - in castrojeriz where I had arranged with the owners that I was leaving at 6.30 in the morning. When I got out in the courtyard everything was closed and locked. Despite repeated attempts to wake the owners up - no results. Ended up climbing out of a window and jumping down from 1.floor.

I think you need to name these establishments as these events do affect Pilgrim safety!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We were walking the Primitivo when this was posted and we just got home. Catching up on Forum postings, I was reminded that last September, on the San Salvador, we had an interesting time in the albergue just beyond downtown Mieres. First we arrived to find a sign in the window that the hospitalero was sick and in the hospital. We had to walk about 2k back to the Polideportivo to get the key (4k added to our day). Then the electricity went completely out when a young Polish woman plugged something into a socket in the kitchen. Polideportivo was contacted and they sent a man who took us next door to the music school to show us how to work the fuse box there (and he gave us a key to the music school in case it happened again). We and two Polish young women were asleep before 9:30 but, shortly after, other peregrinos were knocking on the door -- it was locked and we couldn't get it open! We couldn't get out, they couldn't get in. There were iron bars on the windows so that was not an option for us. The police were called, they called the Polideportivo and another man came and broke the door completely off in the process of opening it. By 10:30 all was well, by 11:00 all were asleep. Quite a night.

The window at the end of the dorm opens fine!

I stayed there 8 April this year:

View attachment 42682

Jill
Can you briefly talk about your experince hiking this camino in April? Weather? Trail conditions? Availability of rooms and food? I cant find much on hiking this section in April. Thank you.

The discussion of hiking the camino in April (versus other times) has been picked up on this thread, so I will close this older thread about a specific situation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.