• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim's Masses

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Does anyone have information on which villages/churches hold Pilgrim's Masses along the Frances?

I know there was a lovely Mass at SJPP and another at Viana, but those were the only two we attended.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There's one in Roncesvalles with a pilgrim blessing. I think it's at 8pm. All pilgrims are invited to the front for final blessing.
I was at an early morning mass/service in Sahagun, 8:30am; but it wasn't specifically a pilgrim service. It was in "same complex" as Hospedería Madres Benedictinas Convento de Santa Cruz.
There's a special pilgrim benediction / service in Santa María de Carbajalas each evening.Get back to the albergue by 9:30pm and go with hospitaleros.
I'll be interested to see other responses.
Buen Camino

Edit: Santa María de Carbajalas.......that's in León.

I believe there is also one in Logrono. If the church still has its (very) small albergue, the priest holds a special "pilgrims only" service, sneaking you in after hours via the tunnel.

Kelly

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Almost every church has a daily mass, but a specific "Pilgrim Mass" is less frequent. I went to about a dozen along the way that were billed as a Pilgrim Mass at the tourist office or albergue. About half included a language besides Spanish. Seven or eight o'clock in the evening were the most common times. As advised above, check locally.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Los Arcos you get a benediction after the mass, the priest will welcome you in your mother tongue and you will get a nice prayer card in your language

At most daily Masses along the Camino, whether officially for pilgrims or not (and the pilgrim Mass-going population can be limited at some spots), the priests seem able to sniff out the peregrino/a and get them to come up for a blessing.

In addition to Santiago, I remember attending pilgrim masses in Roncesvalles, Los Arcos, Viana, Carrion de los Condes, and Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and a blessing after Vespers(?) at the convent albergue in Leon. There may have been more but I can't remember offhand.

The most memorable for me was in Carrion where, following Mass, the priest took pilgrims into the Sacristy for a special service/blessing. It lasted more than 1/2 hour with groups of pilgrims saying prayers in their own language. It was the most emotional and inclusive blessing that I remember.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
try and go to the pilgrim mass in Belorado - the priest there will pull out pilgrims to stand beside him and repeat what he says in their language - the night I was there we had a French, German, English and dutch pilgrims up at the altar with the priest. He was very loving and kind too.
the same for the priest in Villafranca - he also will find a pilgrim to stand beside him and translate the reading. He has some wonderful sayings written on what appears like scrap paper on the walls of the little church too.
After you have unpacked and showered for the day, go for a walk to the local church and you will find the pilgrim mass listed on the notices outside.
cheers, Jane

This may sound like a stupid question but is there any problem with a Protestant attending these masses. I am a Lutheran and I suspect Lutheran churches are a little thin in Spain.

AJP
Victoria

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was pressed into service in Viana when the priest realized at dinner that I was conversing in both English and Spanish... he asked me if I would read a little something - no problem! But then he began ad-libbing and had me silumtaneously translating - that really threw me! After that I was a little more cautious when the priests asked me to "help". :lol:

There was a lovely "blessing of the feet" at the church in Puente la Reina - also in at least 4 languages... read from a sheet of paper, thank heaven!

And of course vespers at Rabanal with the Benedictine monks is special.

My first Camino, I never thought about a skirt - and frequently went to Mass in a pair of shorts as I had nothing else (except perhaps long pants, which I guess would have been preferable!) But anyway, ladies, it is a thought to pack a handy skirt for just such occasions.... I had one last year and it was actually nice to shower and "dress up" a bit after a long hot day. Obviously you are recognized as peregrinas and everyone knows that you have limited choices in evening wear.... :lol:

And last year we were fortunate to arrive at La Faba on an evening when a Franciscan monk from a neighboring town was making rounds and we had a wonderful ecumenical prayer service in la Iglesia de San Andrés there... simply a beautiful chapel.

To find them, you need to keep your ears open and ask... often there are Masses and services available... you just need to find out about them!
Buen Camino,

I think shorts are banned in the Burgos Cathedral & possibly Leon. It's best to wear long(er) pants or a skirt when attending mass or touring churches anyway. But skirts are not required for women pilgrims.

Kelly

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If we as pilgrims have intentions of entering cathedrals or any other place of worship, let us plan for and remember to be modest in our attire. If there is no desire to enter then the planning is completed and we can move on; but if there is a thought that maybe, then wear appropriate attire for a pilgrim. Some allowances are made, but we can still be respectful.

Mike

Thank you.
And also, please remember that people may be there to pray or attend Mass.
Be aware and be quietly respectful?

WolverineDG said:
I believe there is also one in Logrono. If the church still has its (very) small albergue, the priest holds a special "pilgrims only" service, sneaking you in after hours via the tunnel.

Kelly

Yes the church in Logrono still has an albergue, don´t know if it is the same one you mean Kelly.
I stayed at the municipal (great place) which filled up pretty quickly. When some of my friends arrived after me they were given the adress to the church albergue which is a donativo. They were served supper and breakfast and were very happy to get a place to stay. It was pouring down rain and thundering that night in Logrono.
Two bicyclists who arrived at 9 pm got in there, too.
annie PS (I don´t know about the tunnel)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm glad they still have it. I told the writer of the CSJ guide about it & it was the first he'd heard about it, so you may want to send him an email to confirm & update (if necessary.) While the mattresses were really gym mats & very uncomfortable, the friendliness of the people there more than made up for it. The priest even joked with me that since I was from Laredo, I hadn't walked far enough to stay (apparently there is a Laredo Spain as well as a Laredo Texas). All in all, a very nice experience.

Kelly

I am not catholic, but I felt very welcome in Roncesvalles, the priest even announced my country of origen! I am sure you will love it too! Maretha

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back