• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim's Masses

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Does anyone have information on which villages/churches hold Pilgrim's Masses along the Frances?

I know there was a lovely Mass at SJPP and another at Viana, but those were the only two we attended.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There's one in Roncesvalles with a pilgrim blessing. I think it's at 8pm. All pilgrims are invited to the front for final blessing.
I was at an early morning mass/service in Sahagun, 8:30am; but it wasn't specifically a pilgrim service. It was in "same complex" as Hospedería Madres Benedictinas Convento de Santa Cruz.
There's a special pilgrim benediction / service in Santa María de Carbajalas each evening.Get back to the albergue by 9:30pm and go with hospitaleros.
I'll be interested to see other responses.
Buen Camino

Edit: Santa María de Carbajalas.......that's in León.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Almost every church has a daily mass, but a specific "Pilgrim Mass" is less frequent. I went to about a dozen along the way that were billed as a Pilgrim Mass at the tourist office or albergue. About half included a language besides Spanish. Seven or eight o'clock in the evening were the most common times. As advised above, check locally.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Los Arcos you get a benediction after the mass, the priest will welcome you in your mother tongue and you will get a nice prayer card in your language

At most daily Masses along the Camino, whether officially for pilgrims or not (and the pilgrim Mass-going population can be limited at some spots), the priests seem able to sniff out the peregrino/a and get them to come up for a blessing.

In addition to Santiago, I remember attending pilgrim masses in Roncesvalles, Los Arcos, Viana, Carrion de los Condes, and Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and a blessing after Vespers(?) at the convent albergue in Leon. There may have been more but I can't remember offhand.

The most memorable for me was in Carrion where, following Mass, the priest took pilgrims into the Sacristy for a special service/blessing. It lasted more than 1/2 hour with groups of pilgrims saying prayers in their own language. It was the most emotional and inclusive blessing that I remember.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
try and go to the pilgrim mass in Belorado - the priest there will pull out pilgrims to stand beside him and repeat what he says in their language - the night I was there we had a French, German, English and dutch pilgrims up at the altar with the priest. He was very loving and kind too.
the same for the priest in Villafranca - he also will find a pilgrim to stand beside him and translate the reading. He has some wonderful sayings written on what appears like scrap paper on the walls of the little church too.
After you have unpacked and showered for the day, go for a walk to the local church and you will find the pilgrim mass listed on the notices outside.
cheers, Jane

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
This may sound like a stupid question but is there any problem with a Protestant attending these masses. I am a Lutheran and I suspect Lutheran churches are a little thin in Spain.

AJP
Victoria

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was pressed into service in Viana when the priest realized at dinner that I was conversing in both English and Spanish... he asked me if I would read a little something - no problem! But then he began ad-libbing and had me silumtaneously translating - that really threw me! After that I was a little more cautious when the priests asked me to "help". :lol:

There was a lovely "blessing of the feet" at the church in Puente la Reina - also in at least 4 languages... read from a sheet of paper, thank heaven!

And of course vespers at Rabanal with the Benedictine monks is special.

My first Camino, I never thought about a skirt - and frequently went to Mass in a pair of shorts as I had nothing else (except perhaps long pants, which I guess would have been preferable!) But anyway, ladies, it is a thought to pack a handy skirt for just such occasions.... I had one last year and it was actually nice to shower and "dress up" a bit after a long hot day. Obviously you are recognized as peregrinas and everyone knows that you have limited choices in evening wear.... :lol:

And last year we were fortunate to arrive at La Faba on an evening when a Franciscan monk from a neighboring town was making rounds and we had a wonderful ecumenical prayer service in la Iglesia de San Andrés there... simply a beautiful chapel.

To find them, you need to keep your ears open and ask... often there are Masses and services available... you just need to find out about them!
Buen Camino,

I think shorts are banned in the Burgos Cathedral & possibly Leon. It's best to wear long(er) pants or a skirt when attending mass or touring churches anyway. But skirts are not required for women pilgrims.

Kelly

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If we as pilgrims have intentions of entering cathedrals or any other place of worship, let us plan for and remember to be modest in our attire. If there is no desire to enter then the planning is completed and we can move on; but if there is a thought that maybe, then wear appropriate attire for a pilgrim. Some allowances are made, but we can still be respectful.

Mike

WolverineDG said:
I believe there is also one in Logrono. If the church still has its (very) small albergue, the priest holds a special "pilgrims only" service, sneaking you in after hours via the tunnel.

Kelly

Yes the church in Logrono still has an albergue, don´t know if it is the same one you mean Kelly.
I stayed at the municipal (great place) which filled up pretty quickly. When some of my friends arrived after me they were given the adress to the church albergue which is a donativo. They were served supper and breakfast and were very happy to get a place to stay. It was pouring down rain and thundering that night in Logrono.
Two bicyclists who arrived at 9 pm got in there, too.
annie PS (I don´t know about the tunnel)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well.. I'm sure the churches along the Camino are used to pilgrims in shorts.
I know wouldn't attend church in shorts out of respect.

Long pants, covered shoulders, and covered legs for ladies are traditional, especially if you plan on receiving communion. I've known Priests to pass you by if you aren't dressed respectfully. But if it's all you have, then I'd say take a chance. :wink:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is for walkers/pilgrims that want to walk into Catholic Churches perhaps during services. Just hang back in the church /monastery and show respect.Don't worry, someone will have spotted you and invite you forward.
If you have a pair of longer shorts or skirt, wear them.
Incidentally, don't forget to speak to all you meet.
The church is always open.

falcon269 What are Chadors?

A Spanish friend told me that tourists in shorts are not considerate and not admired, but pilgrims in shorts are permissible. Of course, that might have been his own perspective.

The most disappointing, frustrating, and unpleasant pilgrims mass on my Camino experience took place in Santiago! Thousands of people milling around, incredible numbers of people talking, taking pictures, sms and cell phones all going at once, many lost souls attempting to find their parties in loud voices, priests and wannabe priests attempting to make order-it was an absolute disaster! The most enjoyable mass took place in the small church at Uterga, a village just beyond Mt. Perdon, a spontaneous affair during Holy Week when the priest noticed that there was a pilgrim in the congregation (me). He immediately began a special mass, with warmest words of welcome, encouragement for the lonely piligrim who had left his home and family during Holy Week to endure the hardships along the way and of course wished me Buon Camino at the end. I thanked him for his kind words but did not have the heart or the courage to tell him that I am, in fact, Jewish.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've been to masses specifically for pilgrims in Rabanal, Triacastela, Carrion de los Condes, and Barbadelos. And Santiago of course. I loved Rabanal, where I was asked to read in English, but my absolute favourite was in the small chapel in the albergue in Bercianos (between Burgos and Leon) where we prayed for the pilgrims who had stayed there the previous night. This happens everyday, so if you stay there, then the following night someone will be praying for you. Again I was asked to translate here, which was a bit hairy but I muddled through.

My favourite was the 8 pm service at O'Cebreiro. I think that everyone there was a pilgrim and the priest had us all come up to the altar and read a prayer in all the languages of the pilgrims. It was tremendously moving and the woman reading the German prayer said afterwards that it really meant so much to her.

I fully agree with scruffy1 about the holy mass in Santiago.
Due to some works inside of the Cathedral, a large number of seats is made unavailable.
We walked twice to Santiago during non "holy years" and have no problem to attend mass in good conditions.
Was, last week , attending the 12 o'clock pilgrim mass after having completed our third pilgrimage (Via de la Plata) and was obliged to show my credential to enter the cathedral, and sit at the bottom of a pillar, as every seat was occupied by people who seemed to be waiting since a long time there.
Hundreds not to say thousands of people where patienting outside to enter the church. Those hundreds where people visiting Santiago on buses...
The Cathedral was overcrowded. Scruffy1 gives a realistic description of the "souk" atmosphere prevailing. Even, priest made two or three attemps to quiet people talking and phoning.
First time i attend a mass in Santiago without seeing anything of what is going on on the altar....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
scruffy1 said:
The most enjoyable mass took place in the small church at Uterga, a village just beyond Mt. Perdon, a spontaneous affair during Holy Week when the priest noticed that there was a pilgrim in the congregation (me). He immediately began a special mass, with warmest words of welcome, encouragement for the lonely piligrim who had left his home and family during Holy Week to endure the hardships along the way and of course wished me Buon Camino at the end. I thanked him for his kind words but did not have the heart or the courage to tell him that I am, in fact, Jewish.
It wouldn't matter to a Catholic Priest that you were Jewish. The Gospel is for ALL nations.
The priest would have had no idea what faith you were and to him it would not have mattered. He offered the Mass for you, a stranger, the most blessed grace God could bestow upon you in His church.
As you say you had "the most enjoyable Mass", with "warmest words of welcome" and was "wished Buon Camino" at the end. I am pleased you found such a heartening welcome in our Holy Catholic Church brother 'Scruffy' :) The courage you lack is perhaps because you as a Jew celebrated Mass?

Hola - Santiago has been really busy this year and that's why there are 4 pilgrim Masses every day at 10 am, 12 noon, 6 pm and 7.30pm - usually but not always the evening masses are quieter as there are fewer bus pilgrims.

Along the routes I've noticed that published Mass times can change quite a bit especially in rural areas - simply listen for the bell and usually that's when the priest is around.

As for dress - there are no "rules" which are enforced. I have only every enocuntered such a thing in Rome and at one or two sites in Jersusalem. People shouldn't get caught up in what is allowed and what is not allowed - common sense applies imho.

Though we did ask other pilgrims, locals and albergue staff as well as 'following the bells' to locate mass we also learned to be 'opportunistic communicants' and in fact 'crashed' any service, mass or otherwise, that we came across (including a baptism in Sarria where we were made very welcome)
We experienced great specifically pilgrim masses at Roncevalles, St Juan de Ortega, Los Archos, Carrion de los Condes (and prayers with sisters at the Albergue Santa Maria) and at Triacastela. And though we didn't get mass at O'Cebriero the appalling weather meant we had the chapel of Santa Maria Real to ourselves for over an hour........ and felt doubly blessed :)
Nell

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was blessed to attend a pilgrim mass in Ponferada. It helps that the beautiful chapel is on the same grounds as the albergue (donativo). I would encourage a pilgrim to attend mass even if you don't understand everything, you can feel something special at the masses.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.