• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims menu in Porto

lovelyshell

Time of past OR future Camino
October/November 2016
I’m staying two nights in Porto at the Lost Inn Hostel which I think might be more of a youth hostel rather than a place for pilgrims. That being said I’d like to connect with pilgrims - does anyone know of a place that serves pilgrims menu for dinner in Porto? It’s so different starting in a big city versus SJPDP like I did last time!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I’m staying two nights in Porto at the Lost Inn Hostel which I think might be more of a youth hostel rather than a place for pilgrims. That being said I’d like to connect with pilgrims - does anyone know of a place that serves pilgrims menu for dinner in Porto? It’s so different starting in a big city versus SJPDP like I did last time!
I very much doubt that any restaurant in Porto has a pilgrim menu.

Since the Lost Inn Hostel is only a few steps from the Porto cathedral surely you might see/meet other pilgrims nearby or when you get you first sello/stamp. Bom caminho!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Forget a pilgrims menu in Portugal. During my 5 Portuguese caminhos I only saw it once offered in Vila do Conde and it had an awfull quality what even the price of 5€ wasn't worth.
Go for a Menu do Dia , a 3 course menu during weekdays served for workers in excellent quality ,served between about 13 and 14h 30 in many restaurants .
It is originally from Spain and introduced by the former Spanish dictator Franco
Every worker deserves a decent meal for about 8 til 12 € was his motto ( at the time it was a certain price in the pesetas currency. Portugal adopted this system.
Last time I had it , it costed 8 € in Braga and there was soup as a starter or grilled sardines , a main course with meat or fish and a desert, fruit salad called Macedonia. And a drink , wine, water or soda . Menu do dia in Portugal and in Spain Menu del Dia

The caminho para Santiago is less popular in Portugal. The have their own pilgrimages and the most popular one is to Fatima.
So the infrastructure for pilgrims is not that developped there. Fatima pilgrims take the shortest route, eventually at the hard shoulders of motorways and national routes They consume menu do dia or take food with them from home

Last edited:
Hola

Connecting to other pilgrims may be possible at your hostal and most probably once you are out of Porto and on your way.

You could try to go to mass at the Cathedral, where a lot of pilgrims will be visiting, and approach someone and ask them if they would like to share a coffe :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Portugal as a country does not really care that much about Caminos that end up in Spain. They have their own Camino to Fatima which is walked only twice a year at specific times. There is no pilgrim menu tradition that I am aware of. People walk as villages together wearing reflector vests going on the side of highways towards the center of the country.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Portugal as a country does not really care that much about Caminos that end up in Spain. They have their own Camino to Fatima which is walked only twice a year at specific times. There is no pilgrim menu tradition that I am aware of. People walk as villages together wearing reflector vests going on the side of highways towards the center of the country.
Most of the Portuguese who go to Santiago are bikers from Porto They do this e.g . In the Semana Santa Week before Eastern in 4 days .Portuguese walkers are hardly find . Last time in 2019 I met one family with 2 young children just before Santiago .They live in Porto.

Futhermore on the trail from Lisbon once in a small hamlet we met an old Portuguese woman who asked us “ where are you walking to ? To Fátima? No we walk to Santiago ! Oh what a pity she said Anyway get God’s blessings 🥰

Last edited:
Hi,
When are you walking.
We are a party of 6, 2 women and 4 men.
We set off from Porto on the 16th May but will be eating in Porto on the evening of the 15th.

BC
Paul

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After my first Camino, in 2018, I spent a week in Porto. Across the street from my AirBNB was a small neighborhood family bar that had a 10 Euro menu del dia. The best part, after getting off the bus from SdC, was the half liter of cold, crisp white wine that accompanied it.

There are several local specialties that don't cost much. Francesinha is a multi-layered pressed sandwich filled with meat, covered with melted cheese and and tomato sauce, and is often accompanied with a fried egg and/or fries. It's enough calories to fuel your first day of walking!

The other local specialty is cachorrinha, a spiced portuguese pressed hot dog with melted cheese and a spicy sauce. It's cut into pieces and is enough to share for some people. It's served with fries and cold beer. Cevejeria Gazela where, I ate mine, was featured in Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown segment on Porto.

In 2018, the francesinho cost 8-12 Euros depending where you bought it. The cachorrinho was less.

Buen provecho. Have fun.

I am 77 and stayed a night there last month and l really liked it There is a mix of people some walking some tourists Close to Cathedral good eating options A lot cleaner than some Albergues Included a nice breakfast

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back