Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Pilgrims' office of SJPDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
The pilgrims' office is now open. On the first day of its reopening we received 53 pilgrims but only 19 who wanted to go to Santiago after having done a PCR test
That's interesting. I wonder why taking a PCR test put them off? I hope that they didn't all test positive!

Huub den Boer

Past OR future Camino
Hi,

Could you tell me what the openings hours are, and do you have a adress for me? And maybe your official site? Can’t find it online, at least I’m not sure I have the right one(s)

thanks in advance,

Huub

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Thank you!
I am assuming this is your first Camino. I know there are many really good albergues to stay in St Jean. May I recommend Beilari. It is right across from the Pilgrim office. Wonderful place. The owners are fantastic and the communal dinner is fantastic. Great place to meet new friends and be welcomed to the camino.

2021 Camino Guides
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Gar

Past OR future Camino
It is open from 7.30am to 12pm and from 1.30pm to 8pm (Friday and Sunday from 9.30pm to 10.30pm)
Hi am currently in Spain and have an Irish passport, are we allowed to go to France to start in SJPdP? I didn’t think we are but would love too start there, Any advice would be gratefully received. Planning on walking in the next 2 weeks. Don’t mind getting a PCR test for the 24 hours or so we will be in the country,
many thanks
Gar/

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017
I am assuming this is your first Camino. I know there are many really good albergues to stay in St Jean. May I recommend Beilari. It is right across from the Pilgrim office. Wonderful place. The owners are fantastic and the communal dinner is fantastic. Great place to meet new friends and be welcomed to the camino.
I heartily agree with It56ny's recommendation of Beilari. The owner and staff—knowing that for most of their guests this was the eve of a monumental first time journey across time, space, and mountains—calmed nerves as much as possible and provided psychological support in a warm and welcoming environment. Oh, yes, I will stay with them again in two years time. Buen Camino, Huub!

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I heartily agree with It56ny's recommendation of Beilari. The owner and staff—knowing that for most of their guests this was the eve of a monumental first time journey across time, space, and mountains—calmed nerves as much as possible and provided psychological support in a warm and welcoming environment. Oh, yes, I will stay with them again in two years time. Buen Camino, Huub!
I remember the second camino I did I walked from Le Puy. When I got to St. Jean my friend and I stayed in a room in someone's house near the pilgrim office. When we woke up that morning it was cold and pouring like crazy. I mean really hard. We looked at each other and said we aren't walking over the that mountain in this weather. Rest day! When it eased up a little we went to the Pilgrim office and asked about an albergue. Another pilgrim in the office suggested that we go directly across to Beilari. It was early we knocked on the door. They had some beds. They let us drop off our bags. That night of course we all sat around and everyone talked about why they were here. Had dinner and then there were only 3 of us who had walked before. There were some people with really heavy packs. We must have gone through 5 packs and "strongly" recommended the things that people should remove. There was one young woman who had 3 books that she wanted to read in the evening that must have weighed 4 or 5 pounds. It was amazing the things people had. Some people took our advice and the next morning (which was a glorious day to walk) we had breakfast and pleaded with some to lighten their loads and took off. I mentioned this before but after walking from Le Puy the walk up to Orison was like a Sunday stroll in the park! It's amazing what 700+K of walking in France will do for your endurance. Especially those first couple of weeks out of Le Puy. A camino not to be missed.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Huub den Boer

Past OR future Camino
I remember the second camino I did I walked from Le Puy. When I got to St. Jean my friend and I stayed in a room in someone's house near the pilgrim office. When we woke up that morning it was cold and pouring like crazy. I mean really hard. We looked at each other and said we aren't walking over the that mountain in this weather. Rest day! When it eased up a little we went to the Pilgrim office and asked about an albergue. Another pilgrim in the office suggested that we go directly across to Beilari. It was early we knocked on the door. They had some beds. They let us drop off our bags. That night of course we all sat around and everyone talked about why they were here. Had dinner and then there were only 3 of us who had walked before. There were some people with really heavy packs. We must have gone through 5 packs and "strongly" recommended the things that people should remove. There was one young woman who had 3 books that she wanted to read in the evening that must have weighed 4 or 5 pounds. It was amazing the things people had. Some people took our advice and the next morning (which was a glorious day to walk) we had breakfast and pleaded with some to lighten their loads and took off. I mentioned this before but after walking from Le Puy the walk up to Orison was like a Sunday stroll in the park! It's amazing what 700+K of walking in France will do for your endurance. Especially those first couple of weeks out of Le Puy. A camino not to be missed.
Thanks for sharing!

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017
A very nice vignette, It56ny. Thank you for sharing it.

Monasp

I'm a manager of pilgrims office in SJPP
Past OR future Camino
Camino in 2008.
Salut, je suis actuellement en Espagne et j'ai un passeport irlandais, sommes-nous autorisés à aller en France pour commencer au SJPdP? Je ne pensais pas que nous le sommes, mais j'aimerais aussi commencer par là, tout conseil serait reçu avec gratitude. Prévoyez marcher dans les 2 prochaines semaines. Cela ne vous dérange pas de faire un test PCR pendant les 24 heures environ, nous serons dans le

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
2021 Camino Guides
Past OR future Camino
The pilgrims' office is now open. On the first day of its reopening we received 53 pilgrims but only 19 who wanted to go to Santiago after having done a PCR test View attachment 100496
Greetings,
Great to hear you are open. Would you supply some more information on the COVID test please. How soon do we need one to travel over the Pyrenees? 72hrs? Are there places in St Jean to get one?? Are there people at the border crossing checking? More specific info would be great. Thanks so much for all you do.

Kathar1na

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
Spain to allow UK, Japanese and US citizens to enter without PCR test according to the BBC:
BBC News https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57199791
I would not rush to the conclusion that people from the UK who walk on foot from France to Spain are exempt from a PCR test !!! When you read the decree carefully you will see that people who live in the UK (or in Japan but NOT those who live in the USA) will be allowed to enter Spain as of Monday 24th May under the condition that they come directly from the UK and have not travelled through France.

The exact wording is: Residentes en los terceros países que figuran en el anexo siempre que procedan directamente de ellos, hayan transitado exclusivamente por otros países incluidos en la lista o hayan realizado únicamente tránsitos internacionales en aeropuertos situados en países que no constan en el anexo. (Orden INT/657/2020, updated on 21 May 2021). France is not on the list in the annex !!!

The decree about PCR tests for people who wish to cross the land border France-Spain applies to anyone older than 6 years with no exemption for pilgrims of any nationality.

Last edited:
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

lizlane

Small Town Girl, Small Town World
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
We will have to wait a couple of weeks to see if France and the rest of the EU follow suit.
I'm leaving in a couple of weeks FINALLY! I'm not willing to wait to do this pilgrimage after 8 years of it never being the right time just to start in SJPP so I can have "The Way" movie experience. I will happily submit a negative PCR test, I can do that.

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
I'm leaving in a couple of weeks FINALLY! I'm not willing to wait to do this pilgrimage after 8 years of it never being the right time just to start in SJPP so I can have "The Way" movie experience. I will happily submit a negative PCR test, I can do that.
Small town girl, big heart!

crhutch

Past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
Even if the person is fully vaccinated?

C clearly

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012. Hoping now for 2022.
Thanks @Monasp , for the information about the opening of the Pilgrim Office in St Jean Pied de Port! It is very happy news. Please keep us updated on what is happening there.

I am closing this thread now because it has wandered off that topic, and is now into discussion of requirements for PCR tests and other complexities of post-Covid travel. Those topics should be covered in threads in the Covid section of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances