• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Pilgrims office of SJPP is closed

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do we have an update on this? When they will open?

Do we have an update on this? When they will open?
According to their FB page of today: the pilgrims office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port will be open again on 1 July 2020.

That's nearly a month from now. These days, a month is a long time where things can quickly change for the better or for the worse ...

Avons-nous une mise à jour à ce sujet? Quand ils ouvriront-ils?
Selon leur page FB d’aujourd’hui : le bureau des pèlerins de Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port sera de nouveau ouvert le 1er juillet 2020.

C’est dans presque un mois. De nos jours, un mois est un long moment où les choses peuvent rapidement changer pour le meilleur ou pour le pire ...
vraiC’est
According to their FB page of today: the pilgrims office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port will be open again on 1 July 2020.

That's nearly a month from now. These days, a month is a long time where things can quickly change for the better or for the worse ...
It's right. We will hope to open 1st of july 2020

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I'm praying... I want to walk in 2020 I have my flights booked for July 24th

I'm praying... I want to walk in 2020 I have my flights booked for July 24th

There are a few things for us all to keep in mind:
  • Tourism, in general, needs to be open in all nations that will be visited. If starting the Camino Frances in St Jean Pied de Port, for example, both France AND Spain will have to be open to foreign visitors.
  • It is very possible that each nation, or the Schengen Area nations as a whole, will have a master list of countries whose citizens are NOT allowed to enter as tourists until a later date. It is likely that EU citizens will be able to freely visit each other's countries when tourism is initially allowed. Citizens from some other nations, outside of the EU and Europe, may not be allowed. Make sure that each nation you plan to visit is open to your country's citizens.
  • Testing. There are possibilities that each nation will have policies requiring entering international tourists to have evidence of their COVID-19 status. Iceland is looking at this right now.
  • If a negative test for COVID-19 is required, then three primary methods have been discussed:
    • Be tested prior to departure, but the test must not be older than 72 hours upon arrival. Acceptable formats for providing evidence of negative test results will have to include a date AND the time you were tested.
    • Be tested upon arrival. Iceland is prepared to have arrivals at Keflavik Airport to be tested at the terminal. The test used will produce results in a few hours. I do not know how this could be logistically handled at Frankfurt or Madrid or Charles de Gaulle Paris.
    • Testing upon arrival may not be a choice IF the international airlines, themselves, begin requiring proof of a negative COVID-19 test before boarding.
Outside of the specific daily epidemiological trends, those are the things I am watching for with regard to travel.

There are a few things for us all to keep in mind:
  • Tourism, in general, needs to be open in all nations that will be visited. If starting the Camino Frances in St Jean Pied de Port, for example, both France AND Spain will have to be open to foreign visitors.
  • It is very possible that each nation, or the Schengen Area nations as a whole, will have a master list of countries whose citizens are NOT allowed to enter as tourists until a later date. It is likely that EU citizens will be able to freely visit each other's countries when tourism is initially allowed. Citizens from some other nations, outside of the EU and Europe, may not be allowed. Make sure that each nation you plan to visit is open to your country's citizens.
  • Testing. There are possibilities that each nation will have policies requiring entering international tourists to have evidence of their COVID-19 status. Iceland is looking at this right now.
  • If a negative test for COVID-19 is required, then three primary methods have been discussed:
    • Be tested prior to departure, but the test must not be older than 72 hours upon arrival. Acceptable formats for providing evidence of negative test results will have to include a date AND the time you were tested.
    • Be tested upon arrival. Iceland is prepared to have arrivals at Keflavik Airport to be tested at the terminal. The test used will produce results in a few hours. I do not know how this could be logistically handled at Frankfurt or Madrid or Charles de Gaulle Paris.
    • Testing upon arrival may not be a choice IF the international airlines, themselves, begin requiring proof of a negative COVID-19 test before boarding.
Outside of the specific daily epidemiological trends, those are the things I am watching for with regard to travel.

What do you recommend as a resource for seeing if/when the Albergues and other businesses will be open along the Camino? I'm planning on walking from Madrid then connecting to the Camino Frances

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What do you recommend as a resource for seeing if/when the Albergues and other businesses will be open along the Camino? I'm planning on walking from Madrid then connecting to the Camino Frances

There will be no easy ability to do a quick look up for up-to-the-minute openings or closings, etc. Things are just too fluid right now.

Albergues and hostels are in the middle of sorting out the required changes that need to be made to their facilities. There is so much on their shoulders right now: Trying to decide what they can and cannot afford to implement. When there will be enough Pilgrims back on the Camino that will provide the income needed to open up. Albergues that want to open and plan to open, but then as they look at the requirements by government, suddenly realize that it is too difficult and expensive to do, and decide to shut down.

There are a lot of variables for these folks. . it must feel like they have a dozen balls to juggle and keep in the air right now.

For me, reluctantly I am not counting on, or planning on staying at alburgues or hostels for lodging at all. I will use whatever lodging is available: Casa rurals, hotels, hostals, etc. However, if I do find an alburgue that I like and is open for business, I will stay.

AirBnb, Booking.com, Hotels.com, etc will be one resource I'll use for finding lodgings. Sometimes albergues are listed, too. Not often, but sometimes.

I would suggest that you create a shortcut link to Gronze.com. As a resource, it will list various lodgings by towns and villages along the Camino. Often they will have a contact number of email address. I would not plan on any alburgue being available, until I had confirmed it with a phone call or email.

Check the 'Resources' section in the menu bar above for Camino Madrid.

There are resource guides and information in various Confraternities will have guides that contain lists of albergues. But as with Gronze, any listed albergue must not be assumed to be open until confirmed.

As the weeks pass, I will bet that there will be posts about albergues which are open for Pilgrims.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.