• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims Office of SJPP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pilgrim's Office and the albergue will inform you if the Napoleon route is open or closed. Last April it was closed the day I checked into the albergue. Found out the authorities were arresting pilgrims venturing past Orrison.
I find that very puzzling. The route reopens officially on 1 April. After that it is up to the personal discretion of the walker whether to attempt the route or not. What grounds would the police have for arresting people after April 1st?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I find that very puzzling. The route reopens officially on 1 April. After that it is up to the personal discretion of the walker whether to attempt the route or not. What grounds would the police have for arresting people after April 1st?
Are you asking the right question here? Shouldn't one ask: Found out from WHOM? ☺. Or: Does it matter if foreign pilgrims believe it?

Of course "the police" is not arresting pilgrims venturing past Orrison. The land being French and the law in question being Spanish is one of the reasons ...

What I find a bit dangerous is the often repeated claim that "the Pilgrim's Office and the albergue [or the locals] will inform you if the Napoleon route is open or close" throughout the year.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are we able to order your credentials for postage overseas @Monasp ?
They are so much better than the 'official' credentials from SdC.
Much more space for stamps!

If available, I'll take 10 :)

Oh No............. I see on your website you are now using the official SdC versions :(
Is this True? I loved your version............

View attachment 57380

This is the Credential I got from Ivar and my gosh, I love it!
It's much more sturdy with more spaces than the ones I'm used to.
I also have the one from SJPP, which is very nice, but this black one is special.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your security ! !

Your security ! !
Are you confirming that police have really arrested people in the past to prevent them from walking the Napoleon route in April? Police will actually detain people who have chosen to walk after the official closure is over? Clearly it would be unwise to walk in bad weather but I had never heard that French police have actually placed people under arrest in order to stop them doing so.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the grounds they had closed the Napoleon that day due to adverse weather past April 1st. Those pilgrims took that route abyways endangering themselves and rescue personnel. The day I began my Camino it was officially open but not recommended. We were warned that if we got into trouble we'd have to pay for any required rescue to get us off the mountain. So beware April 1st is not always the go / no go date. It's officially closed until then and afterwards it's day by day situation as the weather dictates.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
...Do I presume correctly that you want to start in St. Jean Pied de Port? Up to Pamplona this part of the camino was this year sort of a bottleneck concerning accommodation, because two albergues which could take up a lot of pilgrims were closed, still are, if I'm informed correctly and nobody really knows if or when they will open again, so it was quite difficult for some pilgrims to find a bed then.

Yes, we arrive in Paris 5/16, then SJPD on 5/17, the plan to leave Monday 5/18...

I have booked SJPDP for 5/17 and evening of 5/18 in Roncesvalles. Based on your advice I may book through to Pamplona.

I wonder how crowds will be affected by Corona Virus. We plan to go as long as they allow us to fly to France from the U.S.

Is anyone in SJPP or know anyone there? Not trying to start a covid discussion since there are other threads for that.

I'm just wondering if there are still pilgrims starting out every day? Or if its a ghost town in terms of new pilgrims arriving?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is anyone in SJPP or know anyone there? Not trying to start a covid discussion since there are other threads for that.

I'm just wondering if there are still pilgrims starting out every day? Or if its a ghost town in terms of new pilgrims arriving?
Last week 208 pilgrims started the Camino there. SJPP is not a ghost town. There is hostels open and shops too.
Pilgrims office is open too every day

Hello, I will start my journey on March 26th, from what I am seeing, will I have to follow Vancarlos? Even if the weather is good? Tks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, I will start my journey on March 26th, from what I am seeing, will I have to follow Vancarlos? Even if the weather is good? Tks
Yes, the Napoleon Route is closed until April 1st at the earliest.

The technical date is April 1, but at times of really bad weather they still close throughout other days of the year.

Yes of course the Napoleon Route is closed untill 1st of April. Maybe after you could not go by Napoleon Route it's depend of weather. Last week it was snowing a lot at Roncesvalles so so much on the top of the mountain

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Fred,
Cause coronavirus in Spain the hostels close so it's better don't start the way now.
Hello Monasp,
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I canceled my way. I hope you can go in October, too bad!

The pilgrims Office 39 rue de la Citadelle Saint Jean Pied de Port is open every day all year long from 7:30 am to 11pm. The volunteers can give you all you need to start your "Camino" (credenciale, informations, documentation, shell......). Don't forget to go there !
Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I wanted to confirm the hours that the hours that the office is currently open. I couldn't find the hours on their website, but I found this on Google. Is it correct?

Screenshot_20210706-092840_Firefox.jpg

The pilgrims Office 39 rue de la Citadelle Saint Jean Pied de Port is open every day all year long from 7:30 am to 11pm. The volunteers can give you all you need to start your "Camino" (credenciale, informations, documentation, shell......). Don't forget to go there !
Mahalo Nui Loa for all that the Pilgrim's Office does for everyone! See you in April!

Thank you for providing the information. It's also a good idea to post it on social media. I think more pilgrims can see it if you post it on the bulletin board of the pilgrim office site or https://www.compostelle.fr/forums/. Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back