• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims Office of SJPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monasp

I'm a manager of pilgrims office in SJPP
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino in 2008.
The pilgrims Office 39 rue de la Citadelle Saint Jean Pied de Port is open every day all year long from 7:30 am to 11pm. The volunteers can give you all you need to start your "Camino" (credenciale, informations, documentation, shell......). Don't forget to go there !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The pilgrims Office 39 rue de la Citadelle Saint Jean Pied de Port is open every day all year long from 7:30 am to 11pm. The volunteers can give you all you need to start your "Camino" (credenciale, informations, documentation, shell......). Don't forget to go there !
Thank you. We are on our way in two weeks. Linda.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you as well. Being novices, we’ll be there for an Easter start. Much appreciated

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Monasp Will you posting updates on the Route Napolean?

We'll use the alternate if still closed when we get there, but it's nice to get some updates :)
Agreed! Would love updates on Napoleon Route!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We shall see you on the 3rd May Vicky n Caz

I love the Pilgrim's Office volunteers. What a terrific group of people!!!! :D
So true!
I plan to apply for volunteering in that office next year - working all summer this year in spite of being retired. Hope you will all come then!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

€60,-
See you on May 17! How's weather? It is said that it is likely to rain and it rains around on 17, 18 of this month. My wife and I will start to walk at SJPP on in the morning of May 18. it is expected to be cloudy. Can we walk on Route de Napoleon?

Last edited:
Definitely will be stopping at the office when I arrive in June. Look forward to seeing everyone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be obtaining my passport in St Jean but can I also obtain one for a friend who will be joining me in Léon?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will be obtaining my passport in St Jean but can I also obtain one for a friend who will be joining me in Léon?

As @davebugg says, they are available in Léon. I got them there for my son and I at the Albergue Monasterio de Benedictinas when it became clear that the credencials we started with would fill up well before Santiago. As it turned out, two credencials each was exactly enough.

Yes, I will stop there for sure for check out information in June. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you! Can't wait to be there! (August 27th). My friend and I will be there around lunch time and then we will walk to Orisson in the afternoon and spend the night there - can't wait to meet all our fellow pilgrims along the way! After years of wanting to do this, it's finally happening!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Jzijzo no registration of any sort is required to walk the Camino. You just arrive and start walking. But if you want access to pilgrim only accommodation and/or a Compostela at the end, then you need a pilgrim passport, a “credential”, and those are obtainable from the Pilgrims Office in SJPDP. No need to notify the Pilgrim Office before, simply go there when you arrive in SJPDP. They are also a great source of information about the weather, which is important in deciding which route to take to Roncesvalles. And they also can help with accommodation.

@Jzijzo no registration of any sort is required to walk the Camino. You just arrive and start walking. But if you want access to pilgrim only accommodation and/or a Compostela at the end, then you need a pilgrim passport, a “credential”, and those are obtainable from the Pilgrims Office in SJPDP. No need to notify the Pilgrim Office before, simply go there when you arrive in SJPDP. They are also a great source of information about the weather, which is important in deciding which route to take to Roncesvalles. And they also can help with accommodation.
Thank you! I'm preparing for next June!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I highly recommend stopping at the Pilgrims Office. A very nice women (who’s name I have unfortunately forgotten) gave me handouts that listed many albergues, route altitude information etc...which became invaluable when I inadvertently left my guide book at a cafe in Azofra. I had arrived on a morning bus, due to a lost baggage situation at the airport, and this angel at the office reassured me me that I had enough time to reach Roncevalles. She stamped my passport and reminded me to chose a shell from the basket- ALL while I was just twitching to get started.
What a calming influence she was...

I highly recommend stopping at the Pilgrims Office. A very nice women (who’s name I have unfortunately forgotten) gave me handouts that listed many albergues, route altitude information etc...which became invaluable when I inadvertently left my guide book at a cafe in Azofra. I had arrived on a morning bus, due to a lost baggage situation at the airport, and this angel at the office reassured me me that I had enough time to reach Roncevalles. She stamped my passport and reminded me to chose a shell from the basket- ALL while I was just twitching to get started.
What a calming influence she was...
It's so good to know there is so much guidance out there. Did you do the full walk from St. Jean Pied Dr Port to Santiago Dr Compostela? In how many days?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It's so good to know there is so much guidance out there. Did you do the full walk from St. Jean Pied Dr Port to Santiago Dr Compostela? In how many days?
Yes, I did walk to Santiago in about a month. I stopped for a few days in Sarria, waiting to meet some friends, but 30-31 days is just about right, unless you run into bad weather or have medical issues- which I did not

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
What month of the year did you walk? I'm planning to walk from the 10th of June into July.

In 2008 I went to the pilgrim's office, then a little room in the back of the building, managed by an old lady. She was kind, talked a bit with each pilgrim, and delivered maps and leaflets. There were just four of us (it was around 10 AM, so not peak hour). The feeling was similar to the reception of any albergue.
Then, I came back two years ago, mid afternoon. I was impressed by the crowds of pilgrims (the queue started actually in the street), and how the office has become a modern, efficient operation, with a street front, capable and well organized room. The volunteers make a great job, are efficient and answer the usual questions in many languages. I profit from this thread to say thanks, again.
On the other side, I did not like the new hook scale, where you can weigh your backpack...:eek:

In 2008 I went to the pilgrim's office, then a little room in the back of the building, managed by an old lady. She was kind, talked a bit with each pilgrim, and delivered maps and leaflets. There were just four of us (it was around 10 AM, so not peak hour). The feeling was similar to the reception of any albergue.
Then, I came back two years ago, mid afternoon. I was impressed by the crowds of pilgrims (the queue started actually in the street), and how the office has become a modern, efficient operation, with a street front, capable and well organized room. The volunteers make a great job, are efficient and answer the usual questions in many languages. I profit from this thread to say thanks, again.
On the other side, I did not like the new hook scale, where you can weigh your backpack...:eek:
The room in the back of the building we use it only on winter

We are arriving tonight on the train from Toulouse via Bayonne at 2208 will someone be at the pilgrims office? Our flight was delayed so we missed our train and accommodations yesterday and just arrived here today . so have nothing booked
You can PM

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are arriving tonight on the train from Toulouse via Bayonne at 2208 will someone be at the pilgrims office? Our flight was delayed so we missed our train and accommodations yesterday and just arrived here today . so have nothing booked
You can email me at tanstey22@gmail.com
I just email you

Dear Monasp, I agree! I started my first Camino in January this year and, like every other 'camino virgin', I was excited but also apprehensive. I stepped into the Camino office on that cold and rainy Thursday morning, and was greeted by the smiling faces and quiet competence of the two volunteers working there. It was just what I needed: it was almost like an 'informal ceremony' to welcome us to the Camino and to wish us good luck (and to ensure that we used the road route to get to Valcarlos!). It was this emotional warmth that I remember most about the lovely people at the SJPdP office.

Dear Monasp, I agree! I started my first Camino in January this year and, like every other 'camino virgin', I was excited but also apprehensive. I stepped into the Camino office on that cold and rainy Thursday morning, and was greeted by the smiling faces and quiet competence of the two volunteers working there. It was just what I needed: it was almost like an 'informal ceremony' to welcome us to the Camino and to wish us good luck (and to ensure that we used the road route to get to Valcarlos!). It was this emotional warmth that I remember most about the lovely people at the SJPdP office.
Thank you so much. I'll say that to all of volunteers

Starting my 2nd Camino on April 10th, 2019 from SJPP. So far I am a solo trekker. Walked the Via de la Plata last spring (2018) from Seville 》Astorga 》Santiago in 39 days with my cousin.

Anybody starting out on that date? The Napoleon route is closed until March 31, and if weather is bad I'll just take the alternative.

johnross@gci.net

Tremendous service provided at the office, put me at ease within seconds before setting off in July this year. Kind, knowledgeable and full of smiles. Thank you.

€60,-
Starting my 2nd Camino on April 10th, 2019 from SJPP. So far I am a solo trekker. Walked the Via de la Plata last spring (2018) from Seville 》Astorga 》Santiago in 39 days with my cousin.

Anybody starting out on that date? The Napoleon route is closed until March 31, and if weather is bad I'll just take the alternative.

johnross@gci.net
I started this year on April 13th from SJPP. Lots of mud and rivers were high so be prepared. This was an abnormally wet spring from what I understand but people one to two weeks before me couldn't take certain routes due to flooding. Was advised by pilgrim's office NOT to take Napoleon route (people travelled two days later than I did so without incident). Valcarlos route was pretty rough and I barely made it. If I were to do again would probably break the trip to Roncesvalles up into two days rather than try it all at once. The rain and mud made the ascent really hard and the route I took had much of the elevation towards the second half (which in my case was not a good thing as I was really tired). I gather the Napoleon route has a steeper initial ascent and less steep in second half (and many break up the day going to Roncesvalles by staying in Orisson). Good luck!!!!

johnross@gci.net
When you arrive at SJPP you have to go to the pilgrims office, there the volunteers will explain you all things you need to start your Camino (forecast, if you can go by the "route Napoleon" or no.......) because in April maybe in mountain it will be a lot of snow. The volunteers will give you a lot of advices.

Hola!

Tell me the dimensions of the credential, please (folded, not expanded).

Tomás

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hace 17,5 x 10

Are we able to order your credentials for postage overseas @Monasp ?
They are so much better than the 'official' credentials from SdC.
Much more space for stamps!

If available, I'll take 10 :)

Oh No............. I see on your website you are now using the official SdC versions :(
Is this True? I loved your version............

Last edited:

Oh No............. I see on your website you are now using the official SdC versions :(

View attachment 57380

View attachment 57380
No we use our credencial not the official SdC

I'm sorry we don't send credenciales, we only give it in pilgrims office in face to face

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks I'm starting the first of Sept. For the first time

Robo
The latest version from the SdC Pilgrims Office has 8 outlined rectangles per page and an extra page for sellos on the reverse. It's an improvement but I also prefer the French version.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi! It is safe to assume that there will always be credenciales available at the Pilgrims Office? I arrive on the 18th Sept and would be bummed if its unavailable...

Greetings from Ukraine, I hope we meet soon, the 2-nd of October:)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Don't be afraid we have a stock of credenciales !
HI Monasp

Are we able to buy a shell (with string?) from the Pilgrims office in SJPDP?
We start our Camino next week (Aug 3!)
Thanks

Davybhoy

Are the any days of the week in the "busy season" that seem less crowded to start? We intend to go May of 2020 - around the 22nd (Fri) to 25th (Mon) and can be flexible to start...

€83,-
Thursday, 21st of May, 2020 is a legal holiday (Christi Himmelfahrt / L'Assomption) for instance in France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany. Friday is in that case often used as a "bridgeday" to get a prolonged weekend, start a longer vacation or maybe the camino. Might very well be that lots of people start walking then.

So if you're a flexible about your starting dates I'd try to start walking monday, tuesday or latest wednesday, 20th of May, to avoid crowds. If starting on thursday, book your accommodations for the first couple of nights until Pamplona, if you don't want to start with a bedrace.

Last edited:
@sugargypsy Great advice! Thank you. What about the following week? Like Monday 5/25 through Friday 5/29 - is it full on busy season then?

Sorry for the questions - I'm taking my two teenage sons (14 & 16) with me and earlier may conflict with school.

Last edited:
What about the following week? Like Monday 5/25 through Friday 5/29 - is it full on busy season then?
Yes, because Sunday 31st of May, and Monday, 1st of June are also official holidays - Pentecost / Pfingsten - in the same countries mentioned above, so there might also be some pilgrims using those days to start their pilgrimage (in my country there are holidays, so that time lot of pilgrims start their camino then).

Generally May is a favorite month for a lot of pilgrims to walk the Camino, I did walk this year myself in May and June. I never had any problems getting a bed, but it's always easier to get one bed than three in the same place.

About crowds when walking, if you start early in the morning, then it can be quite crowded when you start walking. I usually was the last or almost last pilgrim to leave the albergue, so after a while, usually by 11 o'clock I was often walking on my own, because a lot of pilgrims start very early, around 6 or 7, to arrive at the next albergue by 12 or 1 o'clock.

Because of that, if you walk in the afternoon you will have the Camino almost to yourself. I really enjoyed that. But when I knew I'd be arriving later than three o'clock, more like four or five o'clock in the place I wanted to stay, I booked ahead, because by then it can sometimes get difficult to find an accommodation.

Do I presume correctly that you want to start in St. Jean Pied de Port? Up to Pamplona this part of the camino was this year sort of a bottleneck concerning accommodation, because two albergues which could take up a lot of pilgrims were closed, still are, if I'm informed correctly and nobody really knows if or when they will open again, so it was quite difficult for some pilgrims to find a bed then.

You'd better check on that issue next year in April here in this forum and decide then, wether you want to book ahead or not. If you want to stay in Orisson, it's going to be necessary to book ahead in any case, since they don't have a lot of bunks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, i’m walking as far as I can in 3 weeks on the Camino Frances late September. I just want to double check the opening hours of the pilgrims office. You say 11pm. Does that include Saturdays? The website says 7pm. I won’t get to SJPP until 7pm ish. My dilemma is, do I get my pilgrims passport here in the uk or the pilgrims tourist office?

Monasp, can you give general information about volunteeering at SJPDP Pilgrim office? how it works and what's required:
  • criteria or experience required?
  • languages needed?
  • assignment is 1 week, 2 weeks, as long as you like?
  • what time of year?
  • daily shift?
  • accomodation provided?
  • when to apply? how?
I am interested to volunteer there..with this info then I can plan for it better when I do my next camino.

Also your volunteers are FANTASTIC.. settled my nerves and gave me the confidence I needed when I unexpectedly had to walk alone in Sept2018. she met with me for 1.5 hours! (I realize most pèlerins sit for only 5-10 minutes!) answering all my questions ....with such patience..she was in many ways my Camino Angel...and I hadn't even started to walk yet!

Monasp, can you give general information about volunteeering at SJPDP Pilgrim office? how it works and what's required:
  • languages needed?
  • what time of year?
  • daily shift?
  • accomodation provided?
  • when to apply? how?
I am interested to volunteer there..with this info then I can plan for it better when I do my next camino.

Also your volunteers are FANTASTIC.. settled my nerves and gave me the confidence I needed when I unexpectedly had to walk alone in Sept2018. she met with me for 1.5 hours! (I realize most pèlerins sit for only 5-10 minutes!) answering all my questions ....with such patience..she was in many ways my Camino Angel...and I hadn't even started to walk yet!
Maria at the SJPP PO was an incredible help to us a few days ago! She even walked me to the odd spot where the bus picks up, to make sure I knew exactly where it was.

Thank you volunteers!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
  • languages needed?
  • what time of year?
  • daily shift?
  • accomodation provided?
  • when to apply? how?

The answers to these questions would be a great thing to post in the "Looking for volunteers, interested in volunteering" forum.

I’ll be there on 15 March 2020!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I was there they took a lunch break from noon to 1400
@MisterH, where and who are "there" and "they"? Pilgrims Office in SJPP or Tourist Office in SJPP? Different entities with different opening hours.

As far as I can tell, simply by reading the first message in this thread posted by the manager of the Pilgrims Office herself, the Pilgrims Office is open non-stop throughout the day, while the Tourist Office closes over lunchtime from 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm according to their website.

Last edited:
@MisterH, where and who are "there" and "they"? Pilgrims Office in SJPP or Tourist Office in SJPP? Different entities with different opening hours.

As far as I can tell, simply by reading the first message in this thread posted by the manager of the Pilgrims Office herself, the Pilgrims Office is open non-stop throughout the day, while the Tourist Office closes over lunchtime from 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm according to their website.
When I was there on may 12th in 2016, the pilgrim office closed the door behind me at 1200 and didn't reopen until 1400. I assumed that that was normal operation.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll be back there in May! :D

Will by a new map there and my 1st compostella for this next Camino.

I'll be back there in May! :D

Will by a new map there and my 1st compostella for this next Camino.
I think you mean credential for the stamps as a compestella is given at the other end in the Santiago office on completion of your walk..
Love

johnross@gci.net
Hi how did it go for you last year? i am a first-timer leaving St Jean PP on April 11th this year. Just wondering how it went and if you have any comments on sleeping bag vs liner or any other notes that would be great- i realize the weather will be different but every bit of info helps!
:) thanks

It was a good camino. Typical spring weather in Spain. Sunshine or wind / rain / snow. Did it in 32 days. I carry a sleeping bag liner. Use it infrequently but when you need it you need it. I put it in a ziplog bag to keep it dry. Look at my comments on a reply to Pscarmen in the thread titled Camino (Francés?)

It was a good camino. Typical spring weather in Spain. Sunshine or wind / rain / snow. Did it in 32 days. I carry a sleeping bag liner. Use it infrequently but when you need it you need it. I put it in a ziplog bag to keep it dry. Look at my comments on a reply to Pscarmen in the thread titled Camino (Francés?)

Nope, just titled Camino

I'm leaving for the Camino in 9 days!! I won't arrive in SJPP until March 6th, but when I do, I'll definitely stop in to the Pilgrim's Office for my credential and to find out if the Napoleon Route is open. I am so excited to begin.

I'm leaving for the Camino in 9 days!! I won't arrive in SJPP until March 6th, but when I do, I'll definitely stop in to the Pilgrim's Office for my credential and to find out if the Napoleon Route is open. I am so excited to begin.
The Napolean route is officially closed until April 1st, and then is evaluated in early spring on a daily basis after April 1st to see if travel is safe. Buen Camino...excited for you :)!

Welcome to the pilgrims office !

€60,-
I was wondering if this information is still up to date because the information that I got on e-mail from them was:
pilgrim's office (39, rue de la Citadelle - St Jean Pied de Port) working all year / every day/, from 7:30 am till 12:00 am, and from 1:00 pm till 8:00 pm) (10.30 pm friday and sunday, until last train's arrival !)

The Pilgrim's Office and the albergue will inform you if the Napoleon route is open or closed. Last April it was closed the day I checked into the albergue. Found out the authorities were arresting pilgrims venturing past Orrison. The day I left it was officially open, but not recommended. I took the Vacarlos route. Tough climb at the end of the stage and descent into Roncesvalles. It rained and then sleeted on us. Those that took the Napoleon route that day told me it was rainy, and too foggy to see much.

I will be in SJPP tomorrow, March 3rd, as soon as I find a way to get from Pamplona to SJ...
Go to the bus station early. You should find ALSA going to SJPdP and PLM going to Pekotxeta (on the border with Arneguy, France) which you can walk to either SJPdP or Valcarlos in a few hours. (That PLM service is Tuesday and Friday only by the way).

I bought my passport online! Do I still need to go to this office before I start in SJPdP?

€83,-
I bought my passport online! Do I still need to go to this office before I start in SJPdP?

You don’t need to go there – but it is a good place to get the first stamp in your credential, get current information on the route and local weather and meet other pilgrims (assuming you are referring to the Pilgrim's Office).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back