• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pilgrim's office

andy.d

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
Where is the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago? I know it moved to new premises for the Holy Year,

thanks

Andy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It didn't really move Andy. It is still through the same door in Rua do Vilar but now there is a courtyard downstairs, a luggage holding room and an office up a flight of steps.

I tried to add two photographs but they won't attach.

Thanks Sil. That's good - I know where it is! Are you allowed to take rucksacks into the Cathedral now?

Andy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes - no problem with packs or poles in June or last week.
The Botafumeiro swung on Thursday at pilgrims' mid-day mass and again at the 10am mass on Friday. That caught a few people off guard who thought it only swung at mid-day mass.

Well....the door up to the Pilgrim's Office is down another door from where it used to be--at least it was a week ago! But certainly right there so if you know where it was, you are 99% there already! The new courtyard is lovely.

Yes, packs and poles caused no comment. In fact tourists took lots of pictures of ours (we had just arrived in town) stacked up around one of the pillars. They did not particularly care to sit around us, however! The Botafumeiro did not swing for our Pilgrim's Mass or for the next day's, but it did at the 10:30am service the following day (Sat, Sept 24) and again that evening for Mass at 8 pm. We had just concluded our roof top tour and seeing it swing was a perfect ending to our last night in Santiago.

Thanks - that's helpful. Last time, I arrived at 10 to 12 (and I suspect it could be similar timing in 4 weeks time) so it is good to know we can go straight in

Andy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2010 I caught a "trifecta" for the botafumeiro -- 10 am, Noon, and 1800 masses all swung it. It just depends on having a group pay the fee. Officially, it swings for free just 12 times a year:
Esta es una tabla orientativa de los días que se puede ver el Botafumeiro en alguna de las misas en el Altar Mayor:

Epifanía del Señor 6 de Enero
Domingo de Pascua de Resurrección Semana Santa
Ascensión del Señor 40 días después de Pascua
Fiesta de la aparición del Apóstol
Pentecostés 50 días después de Pascua
Martirio del Apóstol Santiago 25 de Julio
Asunción de la Virgen María 15 de Agosto
Todos los Santos 1 de Noviembre
Cristo Rey 5º domingo antes de Navidad
Inmaculada Concepción 8 de diciembre
Natividad de Nuestro Señor 25 de Diciembre
Traslación de los restos del Apóstol 30 de Diciembre

In fact the Botafumeiro is used during a number of other services throughout the year - for example recently at an evening Mass when there were visitors from the Orthodox Church.

The Botafumeiro is not only used at the 12 noon Pilgrims' Masses but at many other times in the year.

Generally there are two different uses for the Botafumeiro:

On major feasts such as Easter Day etc the Botfumeiro is used to incense the altar and the people with the same significance as when the priest uses a hand held incensor. At these times the Botafumeiro can be used at different times such as at the start of the Mass. This is what the Cathedral would term its liturgical use - i.e as an integral part of the Mass.

This liturgical use of the Botafumeiro is paid for by the regular congregation who attend the Cathedral and put their money in the offering basket. In the same way as their donation is used for the up keep of the cathedral etc.

There are times when pilgrim groups or tourist groups simply want to see the Botafumeiro in action - the cathedral would call this its tourist rather than liturgical use that is why it is used when the Mass has effectively ended - and if tourists want to see it they have to pay for the 8 men it takes to operate it. Currently the fee is 300€ I understand. Much less than 8 organists would charge for playing! :D

Regards

John

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.