Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims Passport and Albergues (Lugo->Santiago)

Mattias Johansson

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to do my first walk this year (2017)
Hi All,

Looking into doing my first pilgrim walk starting in Lugo in October.
Have a few questions that I'm looking for guidance on:

1) Pilgrim Passport. Is there any place to get one in Lugo. If so Where/How?
2) Albergues. is there any good updated lists for Lugo->Santiago. And will mid/end of October cause any changes?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,

2) Albergues. is there any good updated lists for Lugo->Santiago. And will mid/end of October cause any changes?

Hello Mattias,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't be certain because it was some time ago, but I have a vague recollection (real or imagined?) of seeing Pilgrim Passports for sale in Lugo cathedral when I got a stamp there.

To be on the safe side take away the worry of getting one, have youconsidered getting one from Ivar on this site. You'll find a link to his Camino Forum Store on the home page.

Buen (passport finding) Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi All,

Hi, Mattias, Welcome to the forum. I agree with Falcon's recommendation of Gronze.com. This summer I was surprised to find that it had listings of albergues that had opened in the last day or so!

I have walked the Primitivo in October and everything was open, and this was 10 years ago before there were many people there. So I assume you will be fine. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi All,

I think Lugo is now considered less than the 100 km required for the Compostella. So if that is a consideration you should start your Camino somewhere before Lugo and avoid dissapointment in SDC. This is mentioned in other parts of this forum. Check it out. Good luck

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gronze.com currently reports Lugo as 99.3km from Santiago on the traditional Primitivo route via Melide. Other guides may vary. The Pilgrims Office would no doubt advise whether they consider Lugo as a valid starting point for those wishing to obtain a Compostella. Though walking from the Cathedral to the Pilgrims Office should provide the extra 700m required ;)

Assuming that you arrive in Lugo by bus or train, if not on foot, then a stamp from either of these would add the needed few metres. Otherwise the first cafe-bar before you go through the walls into the town should also help. If you already have your credencial from Ivar then that is easily done. I think that the new distance is maybe from the gate in the walls as you exit Lugo.
Perhaps @JohnnieWalker or Ivar know more about this and can post it here.

Gronze.com currently reports Lugo as 99.3km from Santiago on the traditional Primitivo route via Melide. Other guides may vary. The Pilgrims Office would no doubt advise whether they consider Lugo as a valid starting point for those wishing to obtain a Compostella. Though walking from the Cathedral to the Pilgrims Office should provide the extra 700m required ;)
Checked with pilgrims office and they still consider this as 101 km

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is also an albergue on the outskirts of Lugo on the way into town on the Primitivo that is more than 100km away according to the distances on the way-markers, so you could get a stamp there to be extra sure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
would it be advisable to walk the Primitivo from Lugo starting Jan 21st for 5 days?

would it be advisable to walk the Primitivo from Lugo starting Jan 21st for 5 days?

Personally, I felt that the part after Lugo was the least interesting part of the Primitivo. And for the final two days, you'll have merged with the Francés anyway. The Primitivo from Oviedo can be done in ~13 days anyway, so if there's the possibility of waiting until you have a bit more time to be able to do the whole thing, I'd do that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Heading off tomorrow from Western australia to start from lugo on Sat or sun depending how connections go and all the way to finisterre ... long way to go for a walk ...lol

Buen camino....in June 2018, I loved the walk to Muxia then Finisterre. The first 2 days walking was about deciding either to go to Muxia or Finisterre first. I'm so glad I did it that way as Finisterre is the grand finale ....
Cheers
Miki Goldie

Hi All,

Hi Mattias - I'm just back from the Lugo-Santiago route. There seems to be two main tourist info sources in Lugo, both very helpful, but the most thorough info can be gained from the main office which I believe is at the Museum. They have info and maps, so check them both out. I think you can get a pilgrim passport at the main museum office, just ask, they are all very helpful. Enjoy. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back