• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims Passport - Baptism Required?

sallygardens

Hi
I am not religous but I am spiritual and wish to walk the Camino soon. Can I still get a Pilgrims Passport or is evidence of baptism required?
Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Baptism is not required. You can get a free credential from the link below.

Actually, nothing is required to obtain a credencial. The only question asked is where you are starting and if you are going on foot or bicycle or horse. There are No requirements.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sally, I have been walking the Camino since 1998. This is the first time anyone has raised this issue.

It is a good question to ask and the replies so far are correct.

You may be aware that a question linked to this is whether it is acceptable for a non-Catholic to take the Mass on the Camino? This has caused considerable debate in other posts with some intense discussion taking place. If you are interested type in "Mass" in the search engine.

However, you might wish to know - though you may already do so as you live in Ireland - that the Catholic church requires that all who take the Mass should be baptised. They do recognise that anyone baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in a non-Catholic church has undergone valid baptism.

Whether as a non-baptised person you would wish to go to Mass and receive the bread is a question you might want to consider.

Being baptized is not necesary for making the Camino de Santiago. Many walkers are non-Christians or atheists/agnostics and we love them as our brothers and sisters.

As to attending Mass along the Camino, I say go for it. My one bit of advice would be to refrain from receiving Eucharist (bread and wine) unless you're Catholic. For us, the bread and wine are trans-substantiated into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. The Eucharist is the ultimate manifestation of our faith and it is extremely sacred by its very nature and institution by Christ Himself. If you feel drawn to the altar during Communion, cross your arms over your chest ( thin Egyptian mummy) and the priest or deacon will give you a blessing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi All!

Yes, the issue of non-Catholics attending Mass was tested to destruction last year so I'd suggest not starting it up again. It was all my fault for sparking the debate, but I think it got slightly unpleasant at times. If you want to read what happened you can find it here.
el-camino-frances/topic11482.html

Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
Hi All!

Yes, the issue of non-Catholics attending Mass was tested to destruction last year so I'd suggest not starting it up again. It was all my fault for sparking the debate, but I think it got slightly unpleasant at times. If you want to read what happened you can find it here.
el-camino-frances/topic11482.html

Buen Camino!

It would be a VERY good idea not to re-visit the Mass conversation again in this thead. Look at the thread posted by tyrrek if interested.

tested to destruction.

I think that is the most apt phrase I have read on this forum in a long time.

Good one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You do not have to be baptised to get the passport, but to get the Compostella at the conclusion of the pilgrimage you have to have completed the walk "pietatis causa" (pious cause) - that is with a "spiritual intent." So long as you have undertaken the pilgrimage with a spiritual intent - you don't have to be baptised to have a spirtual intent - you are entitled to the Compostella. In other words a tourist - who undertook the walk for non-spiritual motives but just to see the countryside or enjoy the walk and the culture and the buildings - would not be entitled to a Compostella, but a "true" pilgrim - who undertook the journey with a spiritual motivation - would .

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Those who do not walk for spiritual purposes can obtain a different sort of certificate which is issued by the pilgrim office in SdC.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back