• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims refuge at León definitely closed

Jochen_Schmidtke

RIP 2016
Time of past OR future Camino
3 times Camino Francés
Hello.
In mailed to the youth hostel which is in the same building this text:
> Good morning.
> In the internet are rumors that the Albergue de Peregrinos of León
> Campus Gótico is closed permanently. Is that true?

Here is the answer:
Hi
True, the municipal shelter pilgrims the city of Leon has been closed since June 20, 2012.
a greeting

Sad, but true
Jochen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh no :( I'm planning to start in Leon, so I was going to get my Credential there.

Could somebody please advice me, should I maybe book a hostel then? I will arrive to Leon after 6pm.

There were two albergues in Leon. The one closer to the cathedral is still open, and has credentials. There may have been a second albergue that opened recently, but I cannot find the reference. There are a lot of small, inexpensive hostales in Leon if the remaining albergue is full.

Los Albergues: Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Sta María de Carbajal)
(246 votos) ¡Me gusta! 118 comentarios
Fotografía del Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Sta María de Carbajal)
Dirección: Plaza Santa María del Camino
Localidad: León
Teléfono de contacto: 987 25 28 66, 680 64 92 89
Email: sorperegrina@hotmail.com
Propiedad del albergue: Comunidad de Benedictinas
Institución o administración encargada de los costes de mantenimiento: Comunidad de Benedictinas
Persona encargada de atender el albergue: Sor Ana María

Impresión general:
Estado de conservación: Muy bien
Disponibilidad del albergue: Desde el 1 de febrero al 15 de diciembre. En Navidades también abre los días festivos
Precio: 5 euros. Dan también desayuno.
Plazas
Plazas totales: 132
Nº de plazas en litera: 132
Nº de plazas en suelo:
Nº de colchones en suelo:
Nº de camas:
Descripción de habitaciones: 4 habitaciones
Reserva de plaza en el albergue: No
Condiciones de admisión para acceder al albergue: Peregrino con credencial. Se dan credenciales en el albergue
Hora de apertura: 11:00. Salir antes de las ocho de la mañana
Hora de cierre: 21:30
Posibilidad de salir o no cuando se cierra: No

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great! Thank you for so fast reply! :)

Hopefully I can get the Credential in the evening when I come and then I can sleep in any hostel.

There's a tourist information office on the square opposite the cathedral, who suggested very suitable accommodation for us. It was kind of half way between an albergue and a hostal, so a room with bunk beds but a private bathroom. I can't remember its name unfortunately.

I'm not sure if the tourist office issue credentials as well.

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
:) Thank you!
I'm getting so nervous, my first Camino, nothing is ready yet, alone and I don't speak any Spanish! i know that it's stupid to worry about all this, but I can't help!

View it as anticipation and not anxiety! You will meet a hundred pilgrims in Leon, one of whom will help you for a few hours or a few days. Lots of us speak no Spanish. Find a translator early, but learn how to use smiles, gestures, and a few Spanish words to get around. Don't expect the Spanish to speak English (or Finnish), and louder is not better. Almost everyone will be extremely helpful and friendly if you treat them with respect (which I am sure you planned do). Stay relaxed and have fun!

Buen camino!

P.S. A few years ago, Toivo from Finland was an excellent Camino buddy for a couple of weeks. He was a retired flight attendant, so handled languages easily.

:) Thank you for your kind advice!

I'm sure I will meet great people and will have great time! A bit nervous because I have never done anything like this before.

This is interesting about Toivo, so he's been flying all his life, and now he enjoys walking on the ground :) Toivo is a beautiful name, it means "hope".

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
ugggla said:
A bit nervous because I have never done anything like this before.
You will certainly not be alone as a first time peregrina! The worst walking partner I had on my first Camino was someone who HAD done it before! He managed to get us completely lost around Larrasoana. :?

Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back