• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD 'Pilgrims return to Spain’s ‘El Camino’ paths after pandemic' AP News

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the middle of winter everyone is freezing, walking around in overcoats and scarfs, while the shops are full of next summer's bikinis. Some of the news about pilgrims returning now to walk the camino feels similar to me - sitting here in Australia.

I had no idea the decline in pilgrims was so severe. "Over 340,000 people from all over the world walked “El Camino” in 2019. Only 50,000 walked it last year."

So in 2022, I wonder if, in addition to returning to the 340,000 level, we'll get two years of make-up walkers?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had no idea the decline in pilgrims was so severe. "Over 340,000 people from all over the world walked “El Camino” in 2019. Only 50,000 walked it last year."
„Only 50,000 walked it last year“ refers to the year 2020 when, from March onwards, those who make up the overwhelming majority of walkers, namely Spaniards and other Europeans, were in lockdown for much of the year and could not travel or even walk anywhere.

Last year, namely in 2021, the total number was already an astonishing 180,000.

That was as many as in 2012, btw, and some people even think that 180,000-200,000 is more than enough.

Last edited:
So in 2022, I wonder if, in addition to returning to the 340,000 level, we'll get two years of make-up walkers?
I doubt it. Although travel restrictions are being eased a lot of people are still cautious about committing themselves to foreign travel when the situation can change at short notice. I think that 2022 will be much busier than 2021 but still a long way short of 340,000. I am planning to walk the Via de la Plata quite soon. The relatively low numbers just now almost persuaded me to try the Frances again - a route I have mostly avoided in recent years.

Last edited:
That was as many as in 2012, btw, and some people even think that 180,000-200,000 is more than enough.
I walked my second Camino in 2002. I was amazed at the increase in numbers since my first walk and thought that it must be getting close to the upper limit then. There were 68,952 Compostelas issued that year. No one has ever offered me a job as a racing tipster or a political pollster :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back