• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims told not to poo on Spain pilgrimage route

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
it's a sad plight when the "obvious" has to be spelled out...
in my observation/experience i concluded that the ones who lacked care, consideration and conscientiousness on the camino were most likely the same who lacked those attributes 'back home'. - and most likely won't be reading forums that encourage said care, consideration and conscientiousness while traveling across far distance.

"Maybe that's what some pilgrims lack: a little bit of care and conscientiousness. But there's no way we can put a toilet every two miles along the route." quoted in the article ...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Should be for "emergencies" only.
Otherwise wait. ;)

If ya gotta go, ya gotta go.
But, be considerate. Get as far away from the trail as possible. I'd say at least 100 meters (don't worry, nothing in those woods that can hurt you, probably ;)). Dig out a hole with your boot. Do your business and cover up the hole and your mess.
As simple as that sounds there are those inconsiderate pilgrims out there that think it's too difficult, or maybe they are just plain lazy and rude.

it's a sad plight when the "obvious" has to be spelled out...
in my observation/experience i concluded that the ones who lacked care, consideration and conscientiousness on the camino were most likely the same who lacked those attributes 'back home'. - and most likely won't be reading forums that encourage said care, consideration and conscientiousness while traveling across far distance.
"Maybe that's what some pilgrims lack: a little bit of care and conscientiousness. But there's no way we can put a toilet every two miles along the route." quoted in the article ...
Come on, @amorfati1 and @Ahhhs, you cannot seriously believe that pilgrims squat for any other reason than dire emergency! In fact it is a disgrace that pilgrims are not given a decent alternative to the humilation of «au nature».
I have given my opinion on the subject a while ago:
Spain, the provinces and communes along the «UNESCO's World Heritage Site» should feel responsible to install facilities; these can vary from very simple basic sanitary bag dispensers (1) commonly used for dog-droppings to portable cabins (2) and in some strategic spots with mobile toilets (3). The cost should be charged to the peregrinos by ways of a "Infrastructure-tax" collected when issuing the credencial (another certification sello). With a quarter million peregrinos a year, the individual tax cannot be that much and the logistics will create jobs.
And a word to the ladies: Most of the tissue paper along the camino is dropped by you, it's a fact and not gender discriminative! Please collect and dispose of it responsibly!
Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 20.09.15.png Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 20.15.25.png Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 20.16.52.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How about taking a personal garden trough. I'm used to using this for a cat hole and pack out t-paper on back country camping trips. Just purchased a u-dig-it small collapsible digging tool and reading How to Sh-- in the Woods. TMI - I'm pretty regular in the early morning. Have wondered about how going through 6 or 7 time zones effects bio-rhythm and how pilgrims handle this issue- take off in am only after certain bodily functions? eating low fiber? Lomotil?

How about taking a personal garden trough. I'm used to using this for a cat hole and pack out t-paper on back country camping trips. Just purchased a u-dig-it small collapsible digging tool and reading How to Sh-- in the Woods. TMI - I'm pretty regular in the early morning. Have wondered about how going through 6 or 7 time zones effects bio-rhythm and how pilgrims handle this issue- take off in am only after certain bodily functions? eating low fiber? Lomotil?

I did. Then I went through my pack and got rid of items that weren't being used. During 50 days on the camino I had to use the non-existent facilites once ... So carrying a spade is not bang for the buck.

I did. Then I went through my pack and got rid of items that weren't being used. During 50 days on the camino I had to use the non-existent facilites once ... So carrying a spade is not bang for the buck.
OK, whariwharangi, you had 1 occurrence, I had maybe 4 or 5, lets take an average of 3 per pilgrim, that's about 660'000 «bangs» a year and over a distance of 800 km, pretty sh..y math. :D

If you can, give yourself a day after flying before walking?
Buen Camino

It doesn't matter. My last two trips into the woods I didn't have to use my plastic trowel once. Parks Canada provides facilities at all back country campgrounds. But on my first back country trip last summer, I did need the trowel and it was there, as always, to use. I prefer to be responsible and to care for the beautiful places that I am privileged to visit.

Come on, @amorfati1 and @Ahhhs, you cannot seriously believe that pilgrims squat for any other reason than dire emergency! In fact it is a disgrace that pilgrims are not given a decent alternative to the humilation of «au nature».
I have given my opinion on the subject a while ago:
Spain, the provinces and communes along the «UNESCO's World Heritage Site» should feel responsible to install facilities; these can vary from very simple basic sanitary bag dispensers (1) commonly used for dog-droppings to portable cabins (2) and in some strategic spots with mobile toilets (3). The cost should be charged to the peregrinos by ways of a "Infrastructure-tax" collected when issuing the credencial (another certification sello). With a quarter million peregrinos a year, the individual tax cannot be that much and the logistics will create jobs.
And a word to the ladies: Most of the tissue paper along the camino is dropped by you, it's a fact and not gender discriminative! Please collect and dispose of it responsibly!
View attachment 17678 View attachment 17679 View attachment 17680
It's not what I "believe" that i wrote about, but: "..in my observation/experience..." ...on the camino, and as well as while living in a small, gorgeous, very popular village (in CH) that was 'flooded' by visitors/tourists. we, as people who lived there, were appalled at what visitors/tourists left behind during their ongoing episodes of mind- and/or care-lessness.
"communes along the «UNESCO's World Heritage Site» should feel responsible to install facilities" ... --- we installed and provided facilities alright, but we are unable to install common-sense.
and that's what is required here/there.
I dare say that more than 'communes along the «UNESCO's World Heritage Site» should feel responsible to install facilities' ... I as a visitor/pilgrim/tourist should feel responsible to have 'commons sense and courtesy' installed in my actions and behaviour.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's not what I "believe" that i wrote about, but: "..in my observation/experience..." ...on the camino, and as well as while living in a small, gorgeous, very popular village (in CH) that was 'flooded' by visitors/tourists. we, as people who lived there, were appalled at what visitors/tourists left behind during their ongoing episodes of mind- and/or care-lessness.
"communes along the «UNESCO's World Heritage Site» should feel responsible to install facilities" ... --- we installed and provided facilities alright, but we are unable to install common-sense.
I dare say that more than 'communes along the «UNESCO's World Heritage Site» should feel responsible to install facilities' ... I as a visitor/pilgrim/tourist should feel responsible to have 'commons sense and courtesy' installed in my actions and behaviour.
Just wanted to point out some of the Authorities are not only aware of the problem, but actually doing something about it. Last year along the Le Puy route there were brand new composting toliets worked by a foot pump. Very environmental, very clean, and placed far from any regular facilities. I have found nothing as nice or sensible in U.S. parks.

You are absolutely right and we don't have an argument :). My point, respectfully-, is that the honor of having a UNESCO's World Heritage Site also bears some burden (of merely organizing and charging the waste producers). And this particular thread is about calls of nature that are beyond control; daily walks of 20-30km over 800km happen to enhance bowel movement. The sheer and ever increasing number of pilgrims merit consideration in regards to this unappetizing matter.

PS to DLJ: absolutely positive, but in France....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If ya gonna drop a log then, try to dig a hole for it and the paper first of all, bury the beast !

If ya gonna drop a log then, try to dig a hole for it and the paper first of all, bury the beast !
Exactly.
I don't think it's the government's job to build outhouses, and honestly if one has ever experienced doing the old #2 in a small, hot, poorly ventilated enclosed structure that has been used by several people ahead of you for the same thing, you will quickly realize that the great outdoors is a much more pleasant location.

One can wish though. I realize every country has differing resources and right now the Spanish economy probably doesn't put camino facilities high on their priority. Just saying, though, the present condition can't be good for the inhabitants of towns along the camino. Change is going to have to come from Pilgrims, for now, whether it's by digging a cat hole or carrying out wastes like it's done with our pets. I'm wondering what the jubilee year recently declared by Pope Francis will mean for the camino and the waste that comes with the increased numbers of pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
See my posted photo 'Let's Respect the Spaces Along the Camino'. I recall the toilet paper along the sides of the trail actually being useful in the dark of an early start when the 'white blossoms' would illuminate in my headlamp like trail markers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Galuh, and for thousands of years there's been dysentry, cholera, hepatitis, giadiosis, and typhoid fever. And if it doesn't get to that extreme there are sometimes subclinical symptoms lasting for a few days of "unknown" origin that could be affecting not just the Spaniards but also pilgrims themselves.

Tell me what you think if you every day have to remove poo and toilet paper just outside your door steps, in the street you live along or in other close neighborhood?
Who is responsible?

Last edited:
Pooing in the land is not the biggest problem, having nowhere to wash yourself after the deed and then chewing a toffee for 30 kms or more is a big problem.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We all get caught short. But yes, go off trail please. I could not believe the amount of toilet paper and "other" right in the middle of the path. Not only revolting for everyone following, but a bit embarrassing to be caught with your pants down if you have not sought out some cover.

How about portable pay toilets every 5km in rural stretches?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How about portable pay toilets every 5km in rural stretches?
Firstly, no one would pay! Then secondly, the trash accumulation around said pay toilet would be akin to what one sees at an overfilled dumpster because everyone would unfortunately assume "someone" is going to show up to take care of the site. Just look after your own .......!

When walking out of Burgos, I thought that I would find a café along the road. Alas, not so! – Walking down that long avenue along the Universities on one side and a walled park on the other side, I came in dire need (only a # 1). I even thought of invading one of the university buildings. But then lo and behold, along the avenue there was a toilet shed! – Problem: coin operated. So I had to accost a Spanish gentleman asking to change into coins. What a relief!

However, the next morning when I started walking very early from a hostal, I had a sudden severe attack of stomach cramps where I knew I would need to go there and then … - and immediately! (first and only time on my camino). I was fortunate there was a ditch beside the path – and absolutely no one in sight.
Certainly not my best moment …

annelise

When walking out of Burgos, I thought that I would find a café along the road. Alas, not so! – Walking down that long avenue along the Universities on one side and a walled park on the other side, I came in dire need (only a # 1). I even thought of invading one of the university buildings. But then lo and behold, along the avenue there was a toilet shed! – Problem: coin operated. So I had to accost a Spanish gentleman asking to change into coins. What a relief!

However, the next morning when I started walking very early from a hostal, I had a sudden severe attack of stomach cramps where I knew I would need to go there and then … - and immediately! (first and only time on my camino). I was fortunate there was a ditch beside the path – and absolutely no one in sight.
Certainly not my best moment …

annelise
But maybe it was a good "movement." I couldn't resist the play on words, sorry:D!

Last edited:
Firstly, no one would pay! Then secondly, the trash accumulation around said pay toilet would be akin to what one sees at an overfilled dumpster because everyone would unfortunately assume "someone" is going to show up to take care of the site. Just look after your own .......!
Firstly, most would pay - I'm thinking it would be a modest fee. Secondly, the idea is that pay toilets would compensate the maintenance of the facility. It would be much more pleasant than the 'nuisance ground' behind those massive straw blocks along the Way in autumn.

I recall a similar thread in this forum a couple years ago. There are ways of dealing with the situation that are not going to affect the environment as much as others. Read a book or watch a tutorial about how to poop while hiking. Also for women...there are other feminine needs that sometimes need to be disposed of...take them with you in baggies and throw them away when you get to the next garbage disposal. We can all be courteous and conscientious. I mean in Canada at least, you can't take your dog for a poop without cleaning it up so what is the difference for us exactly. It may not be the most enjoyable part of a pilgrimage but make it part of your planning for your walk. Cleanliness is next to Godliness so just make sure you are doing what you can to keep your poop to yourself! lol.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Plan your day (as far as possible); carry a small digging tool - (most weigh less than 500 gm); when you need to go - yes get as far of the trail as possible, dig a hole and then cover up. As for what to do with the paper - if the hole is large enough and its safe to do so - burn it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Plan your day (as far as possible); carry a small digging tool - (most weigh less than 500 gm); when you need to go - yes get as far of the trail as possible, dig a hole and then cover up. As for what to do with the paper - if the hole is large enough and its safe to do so - burn it.

Or find a good patch of stinging nettle. :) Burn something along the trail, Probably not good idea. biggest offenders of tp depositors were women.

Kev, that was hysterical!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I admit to having a pee in the bushes whilst out hiking but never a poo.....it has often been mentioned on this forum that this is not a wilderness walk.....with Albergues and villages every few kilometres.....what if any are the problems (apart from maybe a dodgy stomach.....and being incontinent of faeces....for which there are pads available) in waiting until you get to a public toilet/cafe/bar.....I was taught as a child to respect the countryside....."Take only pictures.....leave only footprints....kill nothing but time"..... with regard to litter.....if as a child I dropped litter my parents made me go back and pick it up......oh the good old days....

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back