• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims way - England

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
View attachment 115411

Very ethereal on Ranmore Common Surrey. A very meaningful communion service at St Barnabas church on the Pilgrims Way this morning.
I grew up a few miles from there and from where I grew up (Gomshall) to the next village (Shere) there was a footpath called the Pilgrims' Way, presumably the same path. But I have always wondered where the pilgrims were going and where they'd come from. Do you know?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Canterbury, surely?
🤔

That was my idea also.

Wow found this about St Barnabas.Fascinating.

Canterbury, surely?
🤔
Not necessarily, and certainly not if they started in London, wrong direction entirely. There were sites of pilgrimage all over England - Walsingham, Glastonbury, and Canterbury were just the most prominent ones. But heading along the line of the North Downs, where to or from? Anyone know or care to hazard a guess?

Not necessarily, and certainly not if they started in London, wrong direction entirely. There were sites of pilgrimage all over England - Walsingham, Glastonbury, and Canterbury were just the most prominent ones. But heading along the line of the North Downs, where to or from? Anyone know or care to hazard a guess?
The North Downs Way does go to Canterbury, I walked it to reach Dover. 🙂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dick Bird you're correct when you say there are pilgrimage routes all over the UK.
The Pilgrims Way from the Cathedral town of Winchester continues to Canterbury and onwards. It passes through Guildford to St Martha's and on to Shere, to Ranmore (nr. Dorking) In parts it merges with the North Downs Way.

Dick Bird you're correct when you say there are pilgrimage routes all over the UK.
The Pilgrims Way from the Cathedral town of Winchester continues to Canterbury and onwards. It passes through Guildford to St Martha's and on to Shere, to Ranmore (nr. Dorking) In parts it merges with the North Downs Way.
Thank you, that answers my second question 'where were they coming from?' Travelling from one shrine to another was a common practice, I believe, so Winchester to Canterbury makes a lot of sense. But it raises an intriguing possibility - an English camino. Winchester to Canterbury would be a fantastic walk.

Thank you, that answers my second question 'where were they coming from?' Travelling from one shrine to another was a common practice, I believe, so Winchester to Canterbury makes a lot of sense. But it raises an intriguing possibility - an English camino. Winchester to Canterbury would be a fantastic walk.
It is a great route, so far I've only walked short sections, close to home. I believe it's possible to obtain a credential type document .from St Catherine's nr. Winchester . Others will have more information than me.
On her BBC Ramblings programme Clare Balding accompanied a pilgrim on the Surrey section of the walk.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Winchester to Canterbury would be a fantastic walk.
It is something I was considering for 2020, which of course never happened. But my oh my so many good suggestions from people here. ❤
You inspired me to revisit this thread full of wonderful ideas.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Interestingly, I grew up on a village just off the North Downs Way - Gomshall. Between there and the next village of Shere was a path known as 'The Pilgrim's Way', except it didn't follow the North Downs Way but ran along the south side of the Tillingbourne valley. I would imagine genuine medieval pilgrims were less attracted by the scenic beauty than we are.

Interestingly, I grew up on a village just off the North Downs Way - Gomshall. Between there and the next village of Shere was a path known as 'The Pilgrim's Way', except it didn't follow the North Downs Way but ran along the south side of the Tillingbourne valley. I would imagine genuine medieval pilgrims were less attracted by the scenic beauty than we are.
I bet they went for the shortest way ! Never mind the views 😁
i’ll have a look at the maps (tomorrow cos it’s late) 🙂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
....Winchester to Canterbury would be a fantastic walk.

Hi there, @dick bird and others...
I set off in a blizzard one winter's day in 2006 aiming for Canterbury Cathedral. I followed the St Swithun's Way from Winchester to Farnham then the North Downs Way to Canterbury Cathedral finishing a day or two later at the white cliffs of Dover.

What an exhilerating walk it turned out to be. The b&bs along the trail were interesting, too, sometimes centuries old: half-timbered dwellings, a tudor mansion, old beams and diamond-paned windows, a converted barn or two...I was a bit of a magpie back then and couldn't resist stuffing my pack with tourist brochures, postcards and souvenirs. I carried Chaucer's Canterbury tales in my pack but have yet to finish it....

20220907_125325489.jpg 20220907_130535118.jpg
20220907_122729044.jpg 20220907_134359442.jpg
Souvenirs...

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back