A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Pilgrims with Multiple Sclerosis on the Camino

turkeyneck

I'm planning to take my pilgrimage to Santiago next year. Currently, I walk with a brace and sometimes need the assistance of a cane. My partner is on her second Camino and provides me with much wisdom on the nuts and bolts of the Camino. However, I'm tired of being on the sidelines. I know, with effort, that I can make 8-10km per day. Plus, I really have to go when the weather is cooler - not hot. If there is any other person on this forum who is familiar with these types of issues, please reply.
Timeline: Late March through May.
I've been in the military and have had to carry heavy loads over long distances. Additionally, I was a power-lifter and trained for a marathon (that's when MS hit me).
Mentally: Military veteran, avid Zen practitioner.
Dealing with pain is not an issue for me, however, I would like to know if someone in a similar situation has done this. I know someone has and more than once. Thank you for your replies.

Penny Kingma

M.S. Can't Stop Me !
Camino(s) past & future
May 29th to July 4th 2016
SJPDP to Santiago
And many, many more I pray
Hello Turkeyneck
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in June 2015. I decided to walk the Camino from SJDP to Santiago from May 28th 2016. I did so completing in its entirety in 35 days. We sound very familiar in personalities. I’m a happily married mother of 5 and grandmother of 6. I was a fitness competitor up until my health plummeted after a shoulder dislocation in 2005. I carried my pack each and every step of the way. I rarely prebooked...I found the days I did the hardest because then I had to walk that far. I found it best to STOP when my body told me to not when my mind planned me to. I rested several times per day...walked slow...started early to beat the afternoon heat. Removed my sandles and socks to rest my feet several times per day...and took advantage of cold streams to soak them every time I could.
Buy two walking sticks and use them....ALWAYS it saves the knees...
Most emportantly, enjoy yourself, talk to everyone, smile, laugh and take an MP3 player with great upbeat music to get you through the rough times....and there will be. My hubby filled mine with a crazy mix. I was in so much pain with no towns in sight...it was hot and I was tired....then If I had a million dollars sung by the Bare naked ladies came on ...I just started laughing and forgot the pain....Only problem was I then craved Kraft Macaroni and cheese ( if you don’t get that listen to the song). And SMILE no matter how much it hurts....The Worlds a better place when you lead with a SMILE....and you just feel better.
Good Luck...and Buen Camino

Attachments

turkeyneck

Hello Turkeyneck
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in June 2015. I decided to walk the Camino from SJDP to Santiago from May 28th 2016. I did so completing in its entirety in 35 days. We sound very familiar in personalities. I’m a happily married mother of 5 and grandmother of 6. I was a fitness competitor up until my health plummeted after a shoulder dislocation in 2005. I carried my pack each and every step of the way. I rarely prebooked...I found the days I did the hardest because then I had to walk that far. I found it best to STOP when my body told me to not when my mind planned me to. I rested several times per day...walked slow...started early to beat the afternoon heat. Removed my sandles and socks to rest my feet several times per day...and took advantage of cold streams to soak them every time I could.
Buy two walking sticks and use them....ALWAYS it saves the knees...
Most emportantly, enjoy yourself, talk to everyone, smile, laugh and take an MP3 player with great upbeat music to get you through the rough times....and there will be. My hubby filled mine with a crazy mix. I was in so much pain with no towns in sight...it was hot and I was tired....then If I had a million dollars sung by the Bare naked ladies came on ...I just started laughing and forgot the pain....Only problem was I then craved Kraft Macaroni and cheese ( if you don’t get that listen to the song). And SMILE no matter how much it hurts....The Worlds a better place when you lead with a SMILE....and you just feel better.
Good Luck...and Buen Camino
[/QUOT
I really cannot do much distance in a day. I live in MT and have done hikes where I cannot do more than 10km and those were without a load. If I rest often and take my time, I could do my stated distance without injury. I was diagnosed in 2006.
I'll just do what is necessary: Train with a load; Develop a walking plan based on my ability; Finally, just do it. I don't care if it takes 45 or 100 days.
My walk will be for spiritual purposes not for other reasons. What is most important is that I know I will enjoy my time on the Camino and meeting new people. Whenever, wherever I have traveled, I have always enjoyed trying new cuisine and the sights.
Thank you :)

turkeyneck

After research and speaking with experienced pilgrims from MT, I think I'll walk the low route from SJPD starting in mid-March. I'll concentrate on slow and easy. Living in MT, I have plenty of experience with mountain weather conditions and have had some cold weather training in the military. Plus, I already have much of the required gear. Just need a new pack and a good pair of hiking boots. Layers and ensure everything is waterproof!

Bob from L.A. !

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Go forward and let no "mountain" stop you ! Good luck and please keep us posted on your journey. Very inspirational.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 154 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 24.9%