• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims with Multiple Sclerosis on the Camino

turkeyneck

I'm planning to take my pilgrimage to Santiago next year. Currently, I walk with a brace and sometimes need the assistance of a cane. My partner is on her second Camino and provides me with much wisdom on the nuts and bolts of the Camino. However, I'm tired of being on the sidelines. I know, with effort, that I can make 8-10km per day. Plus, I really have to go when the weather is cooler - not hot. If there is any other person on this forum who is familiar with these types of issues, please reply.
Timeline: Late March through May.
I've been in the military and have had to carry heavy loads over long distances. Additionally, I was a power-lifter and trained for a marathon (that's when MS hit me).
Mentally: Military veteran, avid Zen practitioner.
Dealing with pain is not an issue for me, however, I would like to know if someone in a similar situation has done this. I know someone has and more than once. Thank you for your replies.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Turkeyneck
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in June 2015. I decided to walk the Camino from SJDP to Santiago from May 28th 2016. I did so completing in its entirety in 35 days. We sound very familiar in personalities. I’m a happily married mother of 5 and grandmother of 6. I was a fitness competitor up until my health plummeted after a shoulder dislocation in 2005. I carried my pack each and every step of the way. I rarely prebooked...I found the days I did the hardest because then I had to walk that far. I found it best to STOP when my body told me to not when my mind planned me to. I rested several times per day...walked slow...started early to beat the afternoon heat. Removed my sandles and socks to rest my feet several times per day...and took advantage of cold streams to soak them every time I could.
Buy two walking sticks and use them....ALWAYS it saves the knees...
Most emportantly, enjoy yourself, talk to everyone, smile, laugh and take an MP3 player with great upbeat music to get you through the rough times....and there will be. My hubby filled mine with a crazy mix. I was in so much pain with no towns in sight...it was hot and I was tired....then If I had a million dollars sung by the Bare naked ladies came on ...I just started laughing and forgot the pain....Only problem was I then craved Kraft Macaroni and cheese ( if you don’t get that listen to the song). And SMILE no matter how much it hurts....The Worlds a better place when you lead with a SMILE....and you just feel better.
Good Luck...and Buen Camino

Attachments

• 6667EBD8-E46B-461D-830A-BEB9F14FD6AE.jpeg
    6667EBD8-E46B-461D-830A-BEB9F14FD6AE.jpeg
    445.7 KB · Views: 32
Hello Turkeyneck
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in June 2015. I decided to walk the Camino from SJDP to Santiago from May 28th 2016. I did so completing in its entirety in 35 days. We sound very familiar in personalities. I’m a happily married mother of 5 and grandmother of 6. I was a fitness competitor up until my health plummeted after a shoulder dislocation in 2005. I carried my pack each and every step of the way. I rarely prebooked...I found the days I did the hardest because then I had to walk that far. I found it best to STOP when my body told me to not when my mind planned me to. I rested several times per day...walked slow...started early to beat the afternoon heat. Removed my sandles and socks to rest my feet several times per day...and took advantage of cold streams to soak them every time I could.
Buy two walking sticks and use them....ALWAYS it saves the knees...
Most emportantly, enjoy yourself, talk to everyone, smile, laugh and take an MP3 player with great upbeat music to get you through the rough times....and there will be. My hubby filled mine with a crazy mix. I was in so much pain with no towns in sight...it was hot and I was tired....then If I had a million dollars sung by the Bare naked ladies came on ...I just started laughing and forgot the pain....Only problem was I then craved Kraft Macaroni and cheese ( if you don’t get that listen to the song). And SMILE no matter how much it hurts....The Worlds a better place when you lead with a SMILE....and you just feel better.
Good Luck...and Buen Camino
[/QUOT
I really cannot do much distance in a day. I live in MT and have done hikes where I cannot do more than 10km and those were without a load. If I rest often and take my time, I could do my stated distance without injury. I was diagnosed in 2006.
I'll just do what is necessary: Train with a load; Develop a walking plan based on my ability; Finally, just do it. I don't care if it takes 45 or 100 days.
My walk will be for spiritual purposes not for other reasons. What is most important is that I know I will enjoy my time on the Camino and meeting new people. Whenever, wherever I have traveled, I have always enjoyed trying new cuisine and the sights.
Thank you :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After research and speaking with experienced pilgrims from MT, I think I'll walk the low route from SJPD starting in mid-March. I'll concentrate on slow and easy. Living in MT, I have plenty of experience with mountain weather conditions and have had some cold weather training in the military. Plus, I already have much of the required gear. Just need a new pack and a good pair of hiking boots. Layers and ensure everything is waterproof!

Go forward and let no "mountain" stop you ! Good luck and please keep us posted on your journey. Very inspirational.

I know this is an old thread but I was searching for Multiple Sclerosis and it came up. I am doing my Camino starting April 15 and I wondered if there is anyone else out there besides these 2 people who have done it and how it was for them. MS has not limited my mobility other than it affects my balance but I will have poles to help deal with that. It does affect my endurance. I am easily fatigued especially if the weather is too warm. That's why I planned a spring Camino. I hope I will finish before the hot weather hits. I will have to do rather short days most likely. If I hit a rough spot I will just have to check in a hotel or somewhere and rest a few days. Just wondering how others might have managed while doing it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ladydigs
In 2015 I was wrongly diagnosed with M.S.
I walked the full Francis in 2016.
After I got home I was correctly diagnosed with 4 Lyme diseases.
I explain this as symptoms you describe are very simular and i have many many more.
its very important to listen to your body. Let it dictate your stops. Pack a lite to either attach to your pack ( I prefered this type) or wear on your head. this way you can leave earlier when its hot. I'd start walking at 530...its beautiful watching the sun come up. Its going to be painful if you suffer from neuropathy. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare. It's not a race ! Go slow....you'll get there. Initially you'll question why your putting yourself through this ... don't give up !!! If you need to take a day .... then do. Don't try to keep up with others . It was one of the hardest accomplishments in my life. I questioned those first days. I was in tears at times....yet I'm returning to walk again in just 18 days from now.
Buen Camino ❤️

Hi Ladydigs
In 2015 I was wrongly diagnosed with M.S.
I walked the full Francis in 2016.
After I got home I was correctly diagnosed with 4 Lyme diseases.
I explain this as symptoms you describe are very simular and i have many many more.
its very important to listen to your body. Let it dictate your stops. Pack a lite to either attach to your pack ( I prefered this type) or wear on your head. this way you can leave earlier when its hot. I'd start walking at 530...its beautiful watching the sun come up. Its going to be painful if you suffer from neuropathy. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare. It's not a race ! Go slow....you'll get there. Initially you'll question why your putting yourself through this ... don't give up !!! If you need to take a day .... then do. Don't try to keep up with others . It was one of the hardest accomplishments in my life. I questioned those first days. I was in tears at times....yet I'm returning to walk again in just 18 days from now.
Buen Camino ❤️
Thank you so much for the encouragment and inspiration Penny!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh and Buen Camino on your upcoming walk!!! Which route are you taking?
I'm walking the Portuguese Central. Then I hope to travel to the northern transitioning into the primitive. Finishing in Finisterre and Muxia around July 7th. I've given myself 3 months to accomplish it. These are my hopes and dreams ... my reality will be that of my body's choosing.

"my reality will be that of my body's choosing." I totally get that part and 100% agree. I hope you have a most enjoyable walk. And you never know, our paths may cross.

Just the fact that you, with this disease, are undertaking this walk is truly inspirational.
I commend your determination and bid you a Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back