• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pillow/bathing suit

marniedent

Time of past OR future Camino
I noticed a couple of people had mentioned places to swim along the way- Fromista and somewhere else. I hadn't given any thought to taking a bathing suit and have not seen it mentioned on any of the packing lists. Any thoughts on this? Also saw somewhere the mention of pillows at some albergues which I didn't expect. Are there generally pillows provided?

Five weeks to go and the reality is setting in, as is the excitement!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi!
Generally pillows were provided. On the few occasions where there wasn't one, my fleece did nicely.

I did not take a swimsuit, but there was a pool at Viana, Boadilla, the river at Ribadiso and of course, Fisterra. I found that I was happy with wading in shorts, but in Spain you could get away with a top of a two piece and shorts. Remember everything weighs something......

Buen Camino,

With regards to swimming costumes..

I take two sets undies to wash and wear on alternate days and one of those sets is actually a comfortable cotton two piece swimsuit. This means that if I have the opportunity to swim I know what I am wearing won't become transparent the minute I get in the water!

Having said that, after a couple of weeks of staying in albergues then you soon lose whatever modesty you set out with and I'm sure the folk along the camino are quite used to seeing pilgrims in all kinds of improvised swimwear so you won't look out of place in whatever you use.

Whatever you take chose it for weight rather than style factor!

Kind regards, Laura

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
it's very rare to find somewhere you can swim, so I would say don't take a swimsuit, girls can always swim in a t-shirt with undies underneath, or underpants for the fellas.

You almost never find a hostel without a pillow, but they can be very grubby, so take a small piece of sheet or a pillow case to put over. Spanish pillows are a strange shape: longer and narrower than in the UK.

My hiking shorts with built-in liner work great for walking, sleeping, or swimming.

I have a small camp pillow that I like, but I was never in an albergue that did not have a pillow. My sleeping sack has a pouch that fits European pillows. One commercial sleep sack at just 5 oz. is the Travel Hammock Silk Sleep Sack available on Amazon.com.

Well, I'm going in November so I think there's little point in taking a bathing suit...
However, wouldn't it be nice to swim along the way if it was warm enough? Maybe one day I'll go in summer and then dive into the sea at Finisterre... (Off the end of the word!) Or maybe not.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Swimming pools are available in most of the large cities (including across from the albergue in Burgos) for the addict, so a swimsuit would be useful there. In other spots, near Mansilla las Mulas, or in the Canal de Castilla, people are as informal or as formal as they please. While there is no law against swimming or sunning in the buff in Spain, it would be better that pilgrims were demure in a place like Mansilla, where there is a riparian pool when the bridge crosses into the pueblo.

The only time I found mine useful was in Catalonia and central Aragon, where the September heat made the pools at some of the casas rurales very attractive, although the Spanish were horrified that anyone would want to swim when it was only 25°C. Los canadienses locos, they would mutter.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.