• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pillow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jillianbausch

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2022-23
Finistere-Muxia 2023
Hi! I will be starting my first Camino in Pamplona in late September and plan on staying in the albergues. I find I can't sleep without at least one pillow. Are pillows provided? Should I pack a pillowcase?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On my first camino (long before supplied pillow cases were a "thing") I took a stretchy infinity scarf, because my sleeping bag did not have a hood. The infinity scarf was a jersey type material, wonderfully soft, and could stretch to handle any shape of pillow. It turned out to be one of my favourite pieces of kit on that camino.

Almost all places provide a pillow. Many places provide disposable sheets and pillow cases, so you might just keep one to carry with you. They are very lightweight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just use a scarf as a pillowcase when one isn't provided. Many albergues have pillows. A few where you sleep only on mats on the floor do not have pillows. My husband always takes an inflatable camp pillow or two for a knee pillow and to elevate his albergue provided pillow.

Hi! I will be starting my first Camino in Pamplona in late September and plan on staying in the albergues. I find I can't sleep without at least one pillow. Are pillows provided? Should I pack a pillowcase?
Hi Jillian pillows are supplied in all the Albergues I’ve slept in in four Caminos but absolutely take a pillow slip, like most of Spain the pillows are the long ones it’s worth the comfort at night for a fraction of the additional weight. I’ve taken one on my last three Caminos it was heaven. Keith from Norfolk Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will say that our pillows at Canfranc this summer were kind of uncomfortable. Too hard and made my neck hurt worse than without one. @jillianbausch, if you need need a pillow to sleep you might consider trying some travel ones that you find comfortable.

Hi Jillian pillows are supplied in all the Albergues I’ve slept in in four Caminos but absolutely take a pillow slip, like most of Spain the pillows are the long ones it’s worth the comfort at night for a fraction of the additional weight. I’ve taken one on my last three Caminos it was heaven. Keith from Norfolk Buen Camino
Will a queen size 30” pillow case long enough?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is no need. Every alberque I have ever stayed in has provided pillows and pillow cases. Even May/June this year post covid.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On my first camino (long before supplied pillow cases were a "thing") I took a stretchy infinity scarf, because my sleeping bag did not have a hood. The infinity scarf was a jersey type material, wonderfully soft, and could stretch to handle any shape of pillow. It turned out to be one of my favourite pieces of kit on that camino.
Such great ideas!

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I decided to buy a silk case with a zipper since I was told they dry very quickly and don't weigh much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m with you. I can’t really sleep without a pillow!

On my first Camino, I didn’t realize this about myself until several weeks in. Then, at one albergue, they provided “disposable” pillows and pillowcases. The pillow was made out of that basically paper fabric that is not designed to last more than a week in light use. It was filled with polyester fluff.

I finally had a decent night’s sleep with this “pillow.”

Knowing it was disposable and no one else was ever going to use it, I took it with me.

It crushed down to nothing and weighted next to nothing. I squeezed it into a small zip loc baggie I brought with me on the Camino (one of the items I put on my equipment list) and was able to use it, in the baggie, wrapped in a piece of clothing, towel or similar, for the rest of the Camino.

That 2 inches off headspace made a comfortable difference.

Now, 9 years later, I still have that pillow and still use it when I camp.

I suggest either taking a self-inflating SMALL camping pillow or wait for serendipity to bring you sweet dreams in the form of a tiny disposable pillow.

Buen Camino, pilgrim. Comforts are few on the Camino, don’t deny yourself (too much, wink, wink).

I have a combination of conditions which I address by bringing two inflatable Exped pillows. The larger one is 105 gm in its pouch, the smaller 50 gm. This 155 gm is an impost, but it also goes some way to ensuring that I can get a reasonable nights sleep.

This year on the CP, there were pillows and pillowslips in every albergue at which I stayed. Almost all the pillows provided were too soft for me - I would have loved to have been given one of the hard pillows that people have been talking about earlier in the thread.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m with you. I can’t really sleep without a pillow!

On my first Camino, I didn’t realize this about myself until several weeks in. Then, at one albergue, they provided “disposable” pillows and pillowcases. The pillow was made out of that basically paper fabric that is not designed to last more than a week in light use. It was filled with polyester fluff.

I finally had a decent night’s sleep with this “pillow.”

Knowing it was disposable and no one else was ever going to use it, I took it with me.

It crushed down to nothing and weighted next to nothing. I squeezed it into a small zip loc baggie I brought with me on the Camino (one of the items I put on my equipment list) and was able to use it, in the baggie, wrapped in a piece of clothing, towel or similar, for the rest of the Camino.

That 2 inches off headspace made a comfortable difference.

Now, 9 years later, I still have that pillow and still use it when I camp.

I suggest either taking a self-inflating SMALL camping pillow or wait for serendipity to bring you sweet dreams in the form of a tiny disposable pillow.

Buen Camino, pilgrim. Comforts are few on the Camino, don’t deny yourself (too much, wink, wink).
You have convinced me to take the airline pillow I have which sounds so much like your camping pillow! It's just fluff and weighs nothing. I have plenty of room in my pack since I'm keeping my overall weight down. Thanks for your post!

You have convinced me to take the airline pillow I have which sounds so much like your camping pillow! It's just fluff and weighs nothing. I have plenty of room in my pack since I'm keeping my overall weight down. Thanks for your post!
If you are like me, you'll be much happier with the pillow than not.

I just flew from Hawaii to Germany, so my ears perked up when you mentioned an airline pillow. Is it the kind you keep around your neck when you are seated on an airplane but trying to get some sleep anyway? The kind that keeps it's shape even when you put pressure on it (the purpose of the pillow on the airplane, of course).

If it is, it is like my airplane pillow, and I would suggest you NOT take it.

It is too . . . "solid" , too bulky to carry in your backpack. It takes up too much space, even if lightweight. If it is a good blow up camping/backpack pillow, by all means, use it (try it out at home first).

I won't second guess your judgement on taking your pillow. I don't know what yours is like, and if yours checks all the boxes, go for it!

In fact, every pilgrim is entitled to bring one "luxury" item with them. It might be a package of chocolate, a pillow, skin cream, whatever. If this is your luxury item, even if it is a bit heavy and bulky, you can make it work. A soft pillow at the end of the day can help your dreams drown out all the snorers around you.

Buen Camino, pilgrim!!!! 👣

😴👍

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just flew from Hawaii to Germany, so my ears perked up when you mentioned an airline pillow. Is it the kind you keep around your neck when you are seated on an airplane but trying to get some sleep anyway? The kind that keeps it's shape even when you put pressure on it (the purpose of the pillow on the airplane, of course).
It's my guess that it's one of the small rectangular pillows that you find on your seat along with a blanket on the plane. Basically a mini standard pillow.

It's my guess that it's one of the small rectangular pillows that you find on your seat along with a blanket on the plane. Basically a mini standard pillow.
Ahh, that makes sense. Yes, I should have snagged one of those from one of my last flights, hahaha!! Yes, one of those would be perfect! Thanks for making it clear for me.

If you are like me, you'll be much happier with the pillow than not.

If it is, it is like my airplane pillow, and I would suggest you NOT take it.

It is too . . . "solid" , too bulky to carry in your backpack. It takes up too much space, even if lightweight. If it is a good blow up camping/backpack pillow, by all means, use it (try it out at home first).

I won't second guess your judgement on taking your pillow. I don't know what yours is like, and if yours checks all the boxes, go for it!

In fact, every pilgrim is entitled to bring one "luxury" item with them. It might be a package of chocolate, a pillow, skin cream, whatever. If this is your luxury item, even if it is a bit heavy and bulky, you can make it work. A soft pillow at the end of the day can help your dreams drown out all the snorers around you.

Buen Camino, pilgrim!!!! 👣

😴👍
It is an airline issue pillow. I got it when they used to hand them out on flights. I'm with you on those horseshoe shape pillows. They are too hard to do any good around my neck or under my head. I have one I only used once! I just packed and my pack is at 13 pounds. No room for extra weight! Really excited! Thanks for the advise!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Snoring - Extra pillow remedy : I am a snorer and might snore when I am very tired. Thank you for the invalueble info here. You guys are geniuses ! I am now bringing my own small light weight pillow as well. Then I put the albergue issued pillow, underneath my mattrass to prop/elevate my head way up.This reduces snoring by at least 60 % or more. I can even perhaps ask the albergue if they can spare me an extra pillow, to prop my head up even more, for the sanity of my fellow room mates. I will be on a very tight budget and will have to sleep every night in the albergues and will be almost too afraid to fall asleep,every night, too worried, I will make a nuisance of myself with snoring possibly.

As others have mentioned, the size of the typical Spanish pillow is very different from the US (I see that’s where you’re from). What I would do is go into what is called a “tienda de chinos” (Chinese stores — so called because they are operated by Chinese people), which are everywhere. I’ve attached a screen shot that shows at least ten in central Pamplona.

They sell just about everything, and I have bought pillowcases there for about a euro. The problem is that I inevitably forget to take it off my pillow, usually after four or five days, and then I’m back to square one. That might make it a more sensible idea to wrap a sarong around it, especially if it’s brightly colored.

The one thing I would never buy in a tienda de chinos is anything electronic — chargers, etc. I have it on good authoritiy that the stuff they sell is usually not the real deal, even though it always has the C€ sticker on it.

Attachments

• DCB8F354-EEE3-4E76-B902-ED980C98FF29.png
    DCB8F354-EEE3-4E76-B902-ED980C98FF29.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 3
I will say that our pillows at Canfranc this summer were kind of uncomfortable. Too hard and made my neck hurt worse than without one. @jillianbausch, if you need need a pillow to sleep you might consider trying some travel ones that you find comfortable.
Did you see my comment above this one that you wrote?? This is why when I get to Canfranc on October 21st I will be pulling my little pillow out of my pack and enjoying my first "official" night of my 2022 Camino!!!! :):)Can't wait!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back