• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pillowcase sizes

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Hiya, last time I took a UK pillowcase and found it didn't fit the long thin pillows you get in Spain very well. This time I want to make a pillowcase to take, can anyone remind me the dimensions of a typical spanish pillow? I've looked all over the internet but can't find out! Many thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Make an open ended pillowcase. A 1m ( 3ft long) tube open at both ends should be OK.

Or else take a light sarong and wrap it around the pillow ! I did, and then you've got an item with multiple uses :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
fortview said:
Or else take a light sarong and wrap it around the pillow ! I did, and then you've got an item with multiple uses :)
Exactly! I have used an Arab headscarf for years now. During the day, I wrap it around my neck for protection - against cold in the morning or sunburn later in the day. At night, I wrap it around my pillow! Anne

notion900 said:
Hiya, last time I took a UK pillowcase and found it didn't fit the long thin pillows you get in Spain very well. This time I want to make a pillowcase to take, can anyone remind me the dimensions of a typical spanish pillow? I've looked all over the internet but can't find out! Many thanks.

The things we worry about....... :D
I mean, really, if you don't want to rest your head on a (probably!!!) pre-used pillow, then for heaven's sake just put your jacket/towel/spare T shirt/whatever on top of it.....
Those pilgrims of yore must be turning in their graves.

Edit: Dael is of course correct!!

if you don't want to rest your head on a (possibly) pre-used pillow,
I can guarantee that your pillow will be "pre-used" get used to it. Your sleeping bag cover can also be a pillow cover. or as one of my walking buddies used to say " I'll go and taken my pillow off" referring to stuffing his day clothes inside a sleeping bag cover.
I am reminded of a Pilgrim who at the evening meal at Roncesvalles asked me why we didn't have separate glasses for wine and water. He came to me days later when he finally realised that life and living is, on the Camino, reduced to its barest essentials.
We have an old saying here "your not at your Mum's house now".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dael said:
i
I am reminded of a Pilgrim who at the evening meal at Roncesvalles asked me why we didn't have separate glasses for wine and water. ".

You mean that you actually had glasses??? What luxury, not having to drink straight from the bottle. :D

I made a nice big one in the end, out of a silk (!!!!) offcut I had, it's loverly and light as a feather! Can't wait to use it to keep my face off the minging pillows that 10,000 sweaty people have dribbled on!!!

Dael said:
I am reminded of a Pilgrim who at the evening meal at Roncesvalles asked me why we didn't have separate glasses for wine and water. He came to me days later when he finally realised that life and living is, on the Camino, reduced to its barest essentials.
We have an old saying here "your not at your Mum's house now".

Love it! :)
I overheard a lady complaining bitterly about the state of the shower rooms in a 5 euro albergue, saying she didn't keep HER bathroom at home like that! I pointed out that she didn't have 70 pilgrims in her bathroom at home. I felt really mean about it afterwards, but that kind of attitude really gets to me. :cry:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I made a nice big one in the end, out of a silk (!!!!) offcut I had, it's loverly and light as a feather! Can't wait to use it to keep my face off the minging pillows that 10,000 sweaty people have dribbled on!!!
Hi, I’m looking to cut down my double silk liner (single feels too restrictive; double is too big) and thought I’d turn the off cut into a pillowcase. Did you ever figure out the dimensions of the Spanish pillow? I could guess, but it would be nice to have a starting point...

Hi, I’m looking to cut down my double silk liner (single feels too restrictive; double is too big) and thought I’d turn the off cut into a pillowcase. Did you ever figure out the dimensions of the Spanish pillow? I could guess, but it would be nice to have a starting point...
I brought a standard size US pillowcase wIth me on three Caminos, but mine are too short. If you want to make a custom one I'd take that standard sizing, but add an extra 10 inches. Spanish pillows are really L O N G!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.