• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pillows in albergues

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 from Bayonne.
Camino Podiensis & CF 2026
Hello Camino community 👋....

I was wondering about the pillows in albergues...are they supplied...and do they provide pillow cases? If so, what % of the time along The Way (in your experience). I need to bring with me an inflatable pillow to put between my knees for low back health, however, not sure if I would need another inflatable for my head to rest on. The silk liner I'll purchase has a slide in square (sort of) to put pillow in but not sure how that will feel against my face.

Thanks in advance for your responses 🙂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Almost every albergue I've stayed in on the Frances and the Portugues (from Porto) has provided pillows. The one exception was in the often recommended Grañon donativo albergue, where they have you sleeping on mats on the floor. No sheets or pillows are provided there. It has many attractions, but pillows aren't one of them.

We have taken Thermarest air pillows on one Camino just to have some consistency as to what we laid our heads on. That said another time we took pillowcases and either placed them over the albergue pillow or if no pillow available just stuff with some clothes. Both choices worked fine.

Every albergue that I've stayed in during 5 caminos has provided pillows. They often provide a disposable pillow case. You will definitely like the feel of the silk cover better. 😉
This was my experience as well. I had my inflatable(s) along for between the knees, etc though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have taken Thermarest air pillows on one Camino just to have some consistency as to what we laid our heads on. That said another time we took pillowcases and either placed them over the albergue pillow or if no pillow available just stuff with some clothes. Both choices worked fine.
Yes - me too. Nothing worse than rucksack straps on stiff neck and shoulders. I also opened up a silk sleeping bag liner to a flat sheet so I had max flexibility in how I used it....and didn't have to wriggle out of it when needs must... in the dark... when I also had to remember the building layout 🙀

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Travel pillow, anti-bed bug sheet and silk liner guaranteed consistent nights sleep, no creaks in neck and no bites. The travel pillow doubled as a neck support on plane, trains and buses with hard plastic seats or a support to backside when picnicing on the way. I'm not convinced of the durability of the inflatable type so heres my little bit of comfort at night...🤠

The silk liner I'll purchase has a slide in square (sort of) to put pillow in but not sure how that will feel against my face.
Worry not, imagine pressing your face against a pillow case made of silk. But how will that feel, I hear you ask. Well, true silk is smooth to the touch, naturally shiny and bright. It drapes well, feels wonderful on the skin, and absorbs moisture. ... True silk will be smooth and soft to the touch and it will lay across the skin in a very natural way. It should feel fantastic and if it doesn't maybe you need a shave 🤠

Worry not, imagine pressing your face against a pillow case made of silk. But how will that feel, I hear you ask. Well, true silk is smooth to the touch, naturally shiny and bright. It drapes well, feels wonderful on the skin, and absorbs moisture. ... True silk will be smooth and soft to the touch and it will lay across the skin in a very natural way. It should feel fantastic and if it doesn't maybe you need a shave 🤠
I can almost feel it now. I better keep the legs shaved lol 😆

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Travel pillow, anti-bed bug sheet and silk liner guaranteed consistent nights sleep, no creaks in neck and no bites. The travel pillow doubled as a neck support on plane, trains and buses with hard plastic seats or a support to backside when picnicing on the way. I'm not convinced of the durability of the inflatable type so heres my little bit of comfort at night...🤠
Appreciate your input. Unfortunately cannot source that pillow from amazon Canada.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Agree 100% for consistency but will add that the size of my inflatable pillow was important too, I can’t use high pillow without waking up with a stiff/sore neck. My Thermarest has a pretty lush fabric for the face to lay on so was very comfortable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Camino community 👋....

I was wondering about the pillows in albergues...are they supplied...and do they provide pillow cases? If so, what % of the time along The Way (in your experience). I need to bring with me an inflatable pillow to put between my knees for low back health, however, not sure if I would need another inflatable for my head to rest on. The silk liner I'll purchase has a slide in square (sort of) to put pillow in but not sure how that will feel against my face.

Thanks in advance for your responses 🙂

Bring the liner. However, most Spanish pillows are of the long, very long, tubular design common in Europe but not in North America. These pillows have he same circumference as a standard pillow, but are twice as long.

My advice, bring the pillow case. If need be (like if the pillow provided is not clean to your standards) stuff clothing into the pillow case to use as a pillow.

I carry a small inflatable rectangular pillow for this purpose.

I hope this helps.

I always bring a king size pillow case (treated with Permethryn). The pillows are rather long and just stick out a bit. Very little added weight.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You didn’t mention where you are from, but I recall that the pillows in Spain are different from the ones I was accustomed to. They are long cylindrical ones, and did not fit into the slot in my silk liner.
However, most Spanish pillows are of the long, very long, tubular design common in Europe

I have come across the long tubular pillows only in Spain. In France they are 60 x 60, in Germany 80 x80, in the UK something like 50 x 70, in Italy I have forgotten, but they are not as long as in Spain. I sewed a silk liner with the pillow part particularly wide which works beautifully. In addition it has openings at the foot end on both sides to air hot feet. Heavenly!

In my experience the long Spanish pillows won't fit the square-ish pocket of the silk liner. I have a green rectangular pillow case which I've opened at both ends so that it will at least cover the centre of the pillow provided. Green, so that it's easily seen and not left behind when I pack next day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The pillows in Spain are very wide and cover the top of a single bed from left to right. I have had to take two normal pillow cases to ensure the pillows are totally covered. I also take my own sheets and both are soaked in Pyremethrin to stop the bed bugs.

It is completely safe and derived from the Pyrethrem plant.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I carry a standard pillow case treated with permathrin It is not long enough to cover the pillows provided in albergues but is long enough. I put my passport and money into the closed end for security at night.

I carry a standard pillow case treated with permathrin It is not long enough to cover the pillows provided in albergues but is long enough. I put my passport and money into the closed end for security at night.

What about 2 standard pillowcases. Then the whole pillow is covered? I take the two.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmm, isn't it interesting the things we obsess about to provide us with comfort on the way. I usually ditch the supplied pillows (never know what's on them), and stuff the clean clothes I will wear the next day into my silk sleeping bag cover and use that as a pillow. It has the added advantage of having those clothes close to had when dressing in the morning.

Yes I know, silk covers a bit of luxury but they are lightweight, strong and dry quickly when you wash them. I don't fancy the idea of sleeping on insecticide soaked sheets, just because it comes from a natural source, it's not naturally found in that concentration.

Lance, One pillowcase is enough as you only need enough to put your head on, so if the standard pillowcase is long enough at home then it is long enough on the Camino, and it saves me carrying all of that extra weight.

I never went without a pillow on any of my caminos. However, I do find many European pillows to be extremely looong!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back