• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pills, pills, and more pills

Andrea Mayfield

it's about the journey.....
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2015)
Camino Portugues - Porto to Santiago (June 2018)
What is your way of carrying multiple Rx pills?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
??? Are you asking about required / prescribed medication? Carry it in its original packaging as required by airport security. If Rx stands for recreational it’s really not wise to ask that question on an open, public, forum 😉
prescribed meds plus various vitamins & supplements.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
prescribed meds plus various vitamins & supplements.
I had mine blister packed by the pharmacist the first time, and carried the prescription just in case. The last time, I just took the bottles, I asked the pharmacist to squash them into the smallest bottles he had. If you dont do that they use large bottles that take up space.

Carry it in its original packaging as required by airport security.
I'm not aware that this is a requirement of airport security. I always put mine in tiny individual baggies for each day. I do carry a copy of the Rx with me if I were to be questioned, but it has never happened.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just put them in a bag. I read recently that 1 in 7 of the UK adult population were on prescribed anti-depressants, and recent events wouldn’t indicate that number’s coming down anytime soon. If Spanish customs got excited about anything less than a brick of resin (is that still a thing? I’m getting on a bit now) there would be queues right round the airport.

Carry a copy prescription by all means, but unless your medication has a decent street resale value, nobody’s going to be interested.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just put them in a bag. I read recently that 1 in 7 of the UK adult population were on prescribed anti-depressants, and recent events wouldn’t indicate that number’s coming down anytime soon. If Spanish customs got excited about anything less than a brick of resin (is that still a thing? I’m getting on a bit now) there would be queues right round the airport.

Carry a copy prescription by all means, but unless your medication has a decent street resale value, nobody’s going to be interested.
good to know. thanks

I ditch supplements for the camino. The walking and fresh air are supplement enough.
(I used to carry them in labelled baggies but got tired of the dead weight, since on the camino I rarely got around to actually taking them.)
ditch the supplements.... what a brilliant concept. Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Came through security coming home yesterday and my injectable diabetic med (Ozempic) was looked at fairly closely. It is a pen delivery system with microfine needles inside the box to attach for administration. I explained it was for my diabetes and they let me through with it after a quick look.

No other scrutiny of meds on my European travels.

My husband has a lot more meds including nose sprays, injectables, and pills and has never been questioned. He does sort them into a separate bag though so he can explain the meds if questioned.

I ditch supplements for the camino.
I too, ditch the supplements while I am on the Camino. I do bring a couple of over the counter pills and mix them all together as I know which is which in a non-labeled prescription bottle. I've never been asked any questions by security.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can also get over the counter medicines at any pharmacy. I usually take one or two doses of Tylenol or Ibuprofen with me when I fly, but buy more on the Camino. The individual packaging makes them easy to access in a pocket or your backpack belt pockets.

It is not an issue if you are from the Americas and traveling to Spain but those of us that travel through Dubai need to be very careful about carrying prescription medicines in their dispensed containers along with a copy of the prescription. Over-the-counter pain medication can have you end up in jail.

There have been several cases over the years. A quick Google turned up this article that highlights "Tramadol is among the medications that requires medical certificates" and without a certificate you may end up in jail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not aware that this is a requirement of airport security. I always put mine in tiny individual baggies for each day. I do carry a copy of the Rx with me if I were to be questioned, but it has never happened.
You can buy small zipper bags specifically for this purpose at many pharmacies or other stores (like Target). I created a bag for each day before I left. It was much easier than managing the bottles. On my phone, I also had photos of the bottles the pills had come in and a photo/pdf of my prescriptions. But no one ever asked for them.

You are most likely to be scrutinized at the airport. Once you land and especially once you’re on the Camino no one will care.

So if you’re worried about it, you can always bring the pills in their original packaging, and then sort them into lightweight plastic bags once you’re through Customs.

That said, my husband and I both take numerous supplements on a daily basis, and since we were having our bags it forward, we brought a 45 day supply, already sorted into daily vitamin packs.

In fact it was the weight of the supplements, and our desire to continue them on the Camino that led to the decision to send bags forward. So if anyone had checked they would’ve seen a pretty large amount of things, all OTC but some uncommon.

On a direct flight from the US to Paris, nobody cared.

Very helpful thread for me, thank you.

What about a pill cutter? (Both at customs and taken in backpack on the flight)?

This is a really good question and there are some fantastic, insightful answers.

Unfortunately I take a good deal of medication daily. I had to bring all my prescription stuff, as others have done, in the boxes they were prescribed with a letter from my doctor.

Once landed, I took the medication out of the packages and keep them in a ziplock bag. I also do this with my non prescription meds but, having walked a Camino recently, will now look at booking some accomodation in advance and sending/ordering meds direct there. Others have mentioned this, but the weight of meds really is prohibitive and I could not carry more than two weeks worth max - even then they were a third of my weight and bulky.

If you can purchase anything on the road, consider it. I really can’t emphisise enough the weight issue.

Buen camino!

I take iPhone photos of each original container, making sure that for each Rx drug, they show my name, date of birth, the drug name and description, dosage, and prescribing physician. I create a Album called Travel and put the photos there so I can find them if I have to (I’ve never had to). Then I put the pills themselves into plastic zip bags. Each morning I take 4 different pills and don’t want to fumble with all the bags or risk them getting wet or dropped, so a couple of times a week, I’ll put one day’s worth of pills into a few small (jewelry-size) bags.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

What about a pill cutter? (Both at customs and taken in backpack on the flight)?
You mean something like this?
Screenshot_20220805-100615.png

Based on blade size it shouldn't be a problem.
Customs is not concerned with what you bring onto the plane, but with what you bring into the country.

Here's what the TSA in the US says

In the past, I have done my cutting at home prior to traveling.

Hello,
I have always carried my meds in zip lock bags, the little snack ones, one for night meds and another for day meds and write the name of each on the bag. I never carry the bottle. For controlled meds, I suggest carrying the pharmacist receipt which is often stapled to the bag you get your scripts.
I carry a multivitamin as my only supplement.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,
I have always carried my meds in zip lock bags, the little snack ones, one for night meds and another for day meds and write the name of each on the bag. I never carry the bottle. For controlled meds, I suggest carrying the pharmacist receipt which is often stapled to the bag you get your scripts.
I carry a multivitamin as my only supplement.
I like the idea of splitting meds between day and night - less to think about :)

I use tiny medication size ziplock bags and clearly label them - then collect all of the little ziplock bags into one small first aid kit (usually a mesh zippered bag). If you have any controlled substances though I recommend keeping in original containers.

I carry my medications with me on the plane. I take an assortment of medications with me on the Camino in my first aid kit. Some are prescription medications (antibiotics, pain killers, etc.). I separate them out with EZ Dose Pill Packs. I think they also have biodegradable pill packs if interested. I put a printed label on each with name, dosage, usage, etc. I have never been stopped or questioned, but ....

I have the scanned prescription saved as a PDF on my iPhone in iBooks (first aid category). I also have the label packaging information from DailyMed for every over the counter medication stored as a PDF in iBooks.

Here is an example of the packing for Tylenol Extra Strength from DailMed.

Attachments

• dailymed - tylenol.jpg
    dailymed - tylenol.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 16
I use a slightly different approachs for prescription medications and supplements.

Prescription medications I leave in their original packaging, and carry the script and a letter from my GP stating what he has prescribed and why. Once in the country I am visiting, I remove the prescription label from the packaging, and put the label and internal foil packaging into a small ziploc bag.

Supplements get packed into separate labelled ziploc bags, one for each supplement. I add a small desiccant sachet to each bag, and pack these into a larger ziploc bag.

For short trips I might split enough of one of my medications and put the split tablets into a small Nalgene bottle with a desiccant sachet. Otherwise I pack a pill cutter.

The pill cutter proved useful this year when I found Spanish pharmacies supply ibuprofen on 400mg tablets, not the 200mg that I needed. The tablets are notched, so I could also have used my pocket knife, but this has proved messy when I have done that in the past.

You are most likely to be scrutinized at the airport. Once you land and especially once you’re on the Camino no one will care.

So if you’re worried about it, you can always bring the pills in their original packaging, and then sort them into lightweight plastic bags once you’re through Customs.

That said, my husband and I both take numerous supplements on a daily basis, and since we were having our bags it forward, we brought a 45 day supply, already sorted into daily vitamin packs.

In fact it was the weight of the supplements, and our desire to continue them on the Camino that led to the decision to send bags forward. So if anyone had checked they would’ve seen a pretty large amount of things, all OTC but some uncommon.

On a direct flight from the US to Paris, nobody cared
Wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing the logistics for sending a bag forward? I assume you mean to have items you will use later in the trip to be waiting for you when you are further along the camino. Thanks!

When traveling with prescribed medications, they should always be kept in the original bottle. Gate officials may want to know what you pills are and the bottle identifies the drug, dose, date, prescriber etc. Or they may confiscate if you can not prove the are prescribed by a physician. Also, it makes it easier for you to fill at a pharmacy if you have all the details of the drug.

For supplements, I use a small fishing tackle box that has dividers and a rubber seal to keep them dry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is not an issue if you are from the Americas and traveling to Spain but those of us that travel through Dubai need to be very careful about carrying prescription medicines in their dispensed containers along with a copy of the prescription. Over-the-counter pain medication can have you end up in jail.

There have been several cases over the years. A quick Google turned up this article that highlights "Tramadol is among the medications that requires medical certificates" and without a certificate you may end up in jail.
Carry it in its original packaging as required by airport security.

Prescription medications I leave in their original packaging, and carry the script and a letter from my GP stating what he has prescribed and why.
This is what I had always understood to be the rule too. Discussions with travel doctors here, prior to travelling - I took medications in original packaging.
Reading @DoughnutANZ ‘s post - Is how I’ve understood / until now maybe.
I ditch supplements for the camino. The walking and fresh air are supplement enough.
When discussing with my doctor the size of the packaging of supplements… his/her reply has always been almost the exact words of @VNwalking
With the daily walking., fresh air ., sun and good food ., you’ll be the healthiest you can be. You won’t need supplements- at least not for the time you’re walking.

Prescriptions though - I would look into the labelling idea if I needed to carry any.

(I used to carry them in labelled baggies but got tired of the dead weight, since on the camino I rarely got around to actually taking them.)
Peg brought three large cards with a month's worth of two supplements in blister packs (actually it turned out one was a placebo). Rather a pain but she was in the middle of a five year medical study for fish oil and vitamin D. It was a big study with exams and even the use of MRIs.

The results: Statistically the fish oil did nothing and the vitamin D supplement wasn't found statistically good for anything they studied except that you had less of a chance dying if you took it instead of the placebo.

I ask my doctor for two paper prescriptions which I keep in separate areas. Then I sort all my meds into 2X3 inch plastic baggies (found in craft stores) daily packets. That way every night I pull out one packet, take my night meds and in the morning I take the morning ones. I even do this at home. I hate all the time it takes to open every bottle and dig out a pill. Good luck and buen Camino!

Attachments

• CE68CD76-81D7-4659-8500-1FFE5DA146A5.jpeg
    CE68CD76-81D7-4659-8500-1FFE5DA146A5.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My prescriptions are in their original orange bottles, more out of laziness than anything else. I dumped my supplements in a plastic travel jar (turmeric and a room temp probiotic).

As long as the blade that cuts is small it's ok. Go onto TSA website. There is an area to look it up. If it isn't there you can message them a pict of it. They will get back within a few days to let you know if you can carry it on to the plane.

Medication--sort of.... On the Primitivo in May, several people from Denmark and Lithuania asked me if I had Neosporin. They said that is banned in the EU and they usually get it by asking for it when they know someone is going to the US or Canada. Gave them what I had in my First Aid Kit, Is it really banned in the EU.

ditch the supplements.... what a brilliant concept. Thank you!
Yep go ahead and ditch those supplements and see how you feel at the end of your Camino...you well get a very pleasant surprise, not to mention some extra money saved for some more travel or toward another Camino

Medication--sort of.... On the Primitivo in May, several people from Denmark and Lithuania asked me if I had Neosporin. They said that is banned in the EU and they usually get it by asking for it when they know someone is going to the US or Canada. Gave them what I had in my First Aid Kit, Is it really banned in the EU.
No it’s not banned. Just not usually prescribed. Equivalent antibiotic salves are variously available throughout Europe as a simple google or a visit to a pharmacy would reveal

And I don't understand the suggestions here that pills that help you in the USA will not work in Spain.
What is more likely to be happening is that medications available OTC in the USA despite their side effects aren't in the EU because of them.

Airport security has no interest in your pills.
Depends on where you are traveling from, to, and through.

Or vice versa. (Higher doses of Ibuprofen being an example )
I think there is a significant difference between having two medications available OTC but in different dosages to the circumstance where a medication has been removed from OTC supply in the EU because it has potentially harmful side effects.
My response was to the statement made by @puttster that "I don't understand the suggestions here that pills that help you in the USA will not work in Spain." While I cannot find a suggestion of this nature in the thread, I did reflect on the earlier post by @xin loi where he suggests he supplied neosporin, a medication not supplied OTC in the EU, to someone while he was on the Camino.

To put it colloquially, I was and still am gobsmacked that, when he had been told a particular product had been 'banned in the EU', he went ahead and provided it to someone anyhow. And then on top of that, he asks here on the forum to confirm whether it is really banned rather than doing his own research.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think there is a significant difference between having two medications available OTC but in different dosages to the circumstance where a medication has been removed from OTC supply in the EU because it has potentially harmful side effects.
Maybe, but dosage is an important factor in what side effects there may be. Drug approvals depend on a lot of policies and important considerations as well as red tape. I thought people might conclude (perhaps in error) that you thought that the US is less strict than Europe about side effects. I have no knowledge if this is the case or not, but I wanted to provide this balance.

I thought people might conclude (perhaps in error) that you thought that the US is less strict than Europe about side effects.
I only have the evidence from two medications I have had reason to check recently that the EU has taken a stricter line on removing them from OTC supply or banning marketing altogether because they assess them as having risks that need to be addressed. Whether it is the US that is less rigorous or the EU more risk adverse than other countries is not clear to me.

I always leave my supplements at home on the Camino. If I can't live without them for a couple of months, something seems wrong to me. I have been no worse off for doing that on all my Caminos...I have been fine and I get blood work done every year...just sayin'.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This thread asked about how to carry prescription medications. Some relevant answers have been provided, but other members have taken the thread off-topic into discussion about what non-prescription pills they take, and why.

Please stick to the topic of how to transport prescribed pills.

This thread asked about how to carry prescription medications. Some relevant answers have been provided, but other members have taken the thread off-topic into discussion about what non-prescription pills they take, and why.

Please stick to the topic of how to transport prescribed pills.
Gotcha! Thanks, @C clearly. We do sometimes meander a bit off course.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.