• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Place for non-Catholics Holy Communion

soozansings

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2nd (2016)
As you can tell by the thread title, I'm wondering if there will be be anywhere between Ponferrada and Finesterre for a non-Catholic to receive the Sacrament? I think there are only Catholic churches. ..just not sure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are no Anglican churches along the Frances after Pamplona, but there is one in Oviedo if you are on the del Norte (which I guess you're not going to be).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In bigger towns you can find some non-Catholic churches. For example, in Ponferrada and Santiago de Compostela there are Evangelical churches.

I guess the question is: Where can you take Holy Communion?
Thank you so much for the info. I'll do a little more research. If nothing else, I'll still commune with the spirit of The Way and the other Peregrinos, and be grateful.

Try typing various search terms (eg iglesia evangelica) plus place name and see if any independent churches show up. Not in a 'church' building maybe so check the address carefully if you do find anything, and no guarantee that it will be a communion service.

Once you have made contact with one church they may then be able to help with others too.

A few years ago I joined an Anglican priest in a private celebration of the eucharist in his hotel room in Santiago, along with his Catholic priest friend and walking companion. Afterwards I wrote to the Anglican Diocese in Europe to suggest that a seasonal chaplaincy in Santiago might be valuable. Sadly no response. In the past the cathedral has been very generous in allowing non-Catholic pilgrim groups the use of a chapel to celebrate a eucharist together. It is a slim chance but you may be lucky enough to encounter such a group during your stay.

As you can tell by the thread title, I'm wondering if there will be be anywhere between Ponferrada and Finesterre for a non-Catholic to receive the Sacrament?

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mino-comments-and-an-observation.37303/page-2

@soozansings, you may care to read through this very long thread (just over 100 posts), and in particular the last 10 or so posts. The focus is on Anglicans and (Scottish/US) Episcopalians. I hope you find it helpful to your circumstances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As you can tell by the thread title, I'm wondering if there will be be anywhere between Ponferrada and Finesterre for a non-Catholic to receive the Sacrament? I think there are only Catholic churches. ..just not sure.

pardon my ignorance, but is non-catholic holy communion accepted by all other christian faiths?, such as anglicans or lutherans?

as mentioned above, you might find some evangelical churches in the larger towns and cities, and perhaps even a jehovah's witness hall, but in rural león and galicia it's most likely 100% catholic.

Try typing various search terms (eg iglesia evangelica) plus place name and see if any independent churches show up. Not in a 'church' building maybe so check the address carefully if you do find anything, and no guarantee that it will be a communion service.

Once you have made contact with one church they may then be able to help with others too.
Thank you! Excellent idea.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the US at least, most Episcopal, and Lutheran (excepting Missouri Synod), parishes offer an open Communion.
I did know that. Lol, I'm Lutheran, Missouri Synod. I have partaken in non denominational churches in the States but I've never been abroad. Thank you for your reply.

A few years ago I joined an Anglican priest in a private celebration of the eucharist in his hotel room in Santiago, along with his Catholic priest friend and walking companion. Afterwards I wrote to the Anglican Diocese in Europe to suggest that a seasonal chaplaincy in Santiago might be valuable. Sadly no response. In the past the cathedral has been very generous in allowing non-Catholic pilgrim groups the use of a chapel to celebrate a eucharist together. It is a slim chance but you may be lucky enough to encounter such a group during your stay.

I have run into three groups of Anglican pilgrims, of which one had taken advantage of the Cathedral's offer. In terms of a seasonal chaplaincy for Anglicans, note that the RC anglophone pilgrim chaplaincy was set up by volunteers, who then worked with the Cathedral and arranged for the financing of it. I suspect that, if you like the idea of an Anglican chaplaincy, you'll need to do the groundwork yourself.

As far as a Lutheran receiving in evangelical churches, mileage will vary depending on the church, their position on this, and your own theology. There is lots of discussion (see the quoted thread above) about non-RCs receiving in RC churches, and some of it may be useful to you, and some not. Note, as well, that there is an approach of making a spiritual communion, which does not involve receiving the bread and wine, and you might want to look into that. In my experience in RC churches along the way, many of the Spanish in a village will not communicate at every mass, and so the non-communicant does not stand out-- there is much to be said in the quiet of these ancient places of worship and how the Spanish villagers welcome pilgrims. Many of the pilgrims regularly attending masses in churches along the way were not Roman Catholic.

Hope No One Get Offended by What i will Say , But I'm Catholic and I would take Communion Anywhere if Catholic Church is not available. Communion is a Thirst for Jesus and If you can forget the denomination issue , you do move forward to the altar in Santiago and Have Communion . No One On The Altar will ask your Denomination.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you want to receive no one is going to check if you're a Catholic. I suppose for me the issue is why would you want to if you're not a Catholic. But each to his own. After all it is only between you and God...

This is a touchy subject and I would never put a priest in difficult position re his theology but as an Anglican I was able to partake of the sacrament and read the Psalm in a Roman Catholic service and the priest knew who I was and what I am. It was a delight. We have an open table in our faith and I have given communion to many Roman Catholics over the years I have been told by an expert who writes on this blog that at the very least the Bishops turn a blind eye and maybe even encourage this on the camino.

As far as I know, the general Anglican position on non-Anglicans receiving communion in Anglican Churches is not exactly open communion. It is rather that firstly, anyone who is baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit has fulfilled the only requirement for membership in the Anglican Church and so is in communion and can receive communion; secondly, no one who comes up to receive communion is normally turned away. I don't know if there are any exceptions and anyone who is better educated in this matter is welcome to correct me.
I received communion only once on camino, when the drawing was so strong that I could not even consider refusing it. In general, as an Anglican educated in a Catholic theology college I am aware of the formal principles excluding from receiving those who are not full members of the Catholic Church and I wish to respect that position.

Alberta girl you are more or less correct but to clarify the meaning of the term "Open table" any one who catholic in their faith, but I have never turned anyone away nor do I believe any of us do have the right, though I do also respect totally another person's perspective

I will preface this by saying I have no wish to offend anyone. I was raised Catholic and now belong to the United Church, and I am of the mind that no one should be turned away from the communion table. I think a sincere desire is enough and, as someone mentioned above, no one knows - or should care - what denomination you are. I believe all religions were born out of the purest of intentions but over the years we may have lost sight of some fundamental principles. I believe that any talk of who can, can't, should or shouldn't receive communion flies in the face of the practice of inclusion which surely is at the heart of all religions.

no one is going to check if you're a Catholic

@Shivers, hi. The creeds we all recite tells of "... I believe in ... the holy catholic (and apostolic) church ..." Some would say if you can say the creeds and have a belief in the Real Presence then, IMHO, you are a Catholic, and subject to the Anglican or Roman disciplines.

As an Anglican I was able to partake of the sacrament and read the Psalm in a Roman Catholic service and the priest knew who I was and what I am. It was a delight.

I have been told by an expert who writes on this blog that at the very least the Bishops turn a blind eye and maybe even encourage this on the camino

@rector, hi. Through my Roman Catholic wife, I (an Anglican layperson) have met several Roman bishops and they and the many Roman priests we encounter know both our situations and have never once said, when meeting socially, there was a problem of receiving Communion at their hands. And on one occasion (my wife's first anniversary) I went to Mass at "our" Roman Catholic parish church and the priest signalled me to come forward first.

So it may be you are seeing the eye closed (blind) during the wink of encouragement.

@soozansings, I also searched for Spanish churches in communion with Canterbury and found almost nothing that suited. So, having regard to all the above I suggest you seriously consider receiving, or not, as you are moved. A trick I find helpful is to say the peoples parts silently in English. The Creed; responses at the start of the Eucharistic Prayer; Holy, Holy Holy ...; Our Father (Lord's Prayer, remembering the doxology (?) is said later); Lamb of God ... ; and, finally, Lord I am not worthy ... can keep you involved and not present as a spectator. Even if, like me, you know almost no Spanish you will find the general structure of the Roman Mass and the Anglican Eucharist are pretty much identical.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hope No One Get Offended by What i will Say , But I'm Catholic and I would take Communion Anywhere if Catholic Church is not available. Communion is a Thirst for Jesus and If you can forget the denomination issue , you do move forward to the altar in Santiago and Have Communion . No One On The Altar will ask your Denomination.
That is not the catholic churches position on this "Sacrement". Blind eyes are what they imply. There is a detailed thread on this subjcct on these forums where "knowledgable Catholic church facts" are given for a belief in trans-substanciation of the host during the consecration in the mass is required. A blessing is always available. However if one wants to break the rules ---

That is not the catholic churches position on this "Sacrement". Blind eyes are what they imply. There is a detailed thread on this subjcct on these forums where "knowledgable Catholic church facts" are given for a belief in trans-substanciation of the host during the consecration in the mass is required. A blessing is always available. However if one wants to break the rules ---
I agree , it is not the Church Position , but My reply is in response to his Thirst to have the communion. After all the Communion is Our Biggest Judge , since even I as catholic , I should not come to the altar unless I have repent my Sins in the confession.

I think one of the lessons of the Camino is that you find that today's Pilgrims are of many religions or none; they all walk the same route, share the same physical and mental challenges, the same weather conditions, and generally live together amiably for the entire distance. In my experience nobody challenges anyone as to their religious beliefs. It seems if you are a Pilgrim you take part in whatever the Pilgrim activity, that's part of being a Pilgrim. It seems that some Christen religions consider themselves as the ONE TRUE way; when all the major religions of the world are based on the same principles; which I think is generally reflected throughout the Camino experience. Whether Church, Mosque, Synagogue, or Temple the doors should be open in welcome to all. We are all Pilgrims on the journey of life. Enjoy the Way - Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you want to receive no one is going to check if you're a Catholic. I suppose for me the issue is why would you want to if you're not a Catholic. But each to his own. After all it is only between you and God...
I became a follower of the Way in the early seventies by the witness of The Jesus People's Army in Bellingham/ Seattle. I don't recall ordained clergy in our group. We visited various churched where long haired Jesus Freaks were welcomed without prejudice, not only did we participate in The Lord's Supper in those sanctuaries. We ended out evening meals with communion and sometimes morning vespers also with no priest or pastor administering the elements. I am not attempting to be argumentative or cause strife as a follower of the Way, it is I hate seeing division in the Body of Christ. I Corinthians 1:10-17. By the way I attend a particular church regular, I missing our worship services, but I will not sign on the membership line though I serve and support them with my finances.

When more than one of us is gathered together in fellowship we break bread and drink wine (beer, tea, water) together in common recognition of our common humanity and in thanks to all the gods that make us live.

Religion, theology, faith and belief. Now there are four corners of a triangle. Its easy for us, we know ;)

G'day Soozansings,
Look at it like this.

The Camino is not a walk through an alien environment but a celebration of many things. Of life, of Spanish culture, of the Spanish countryside, of the creation, of nature, what have you.

You become a part of it, in effect you are not an alien or a visitor, but you become Spanish. Now, it's said that all the Spanish are Catholics, even the atheists are Catholics...

On a more serious vein, as an Anglican I have no personal issues sharing communion in a Catholic Church. Neither does my wife. My sister in law, who travelled with us in Spain, is a Salvationist, and after some hesitation she came to take the communion as well. I haven't met too many priests who seem to have an issue with it either.

It's really a matter of personal conviction. The practice of communion is a specific inclusive command to the church as the fellowship and body of believers rather than something exclusive to a particular denomination, and priests who my wife has spoken to on this very issue support this view.

I hope this doesn't infringe Site rules.

De Colores

Bogong

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
G'day Soozansings,
Look at it like this.

The Camino is not a walk through an alien environment but a celebration of many things. Of life, of Spanish culture, of the Spanish countryside, of the creation, of nature, what have you.

You become a part of it, in effect you are not an alien or a visitor, but you become Spanish. Now, it's said that all the Spanish are Catholics, even the atheists are Catholics...

On a more serious vein, as an Anglican I have no personal issues sharing communion in a Catholic Church. Neither does my wife. My sister in law, who travelled with us in Spain, is a Salvationist, and after some hesitation she came to take the communion as well. I haven't met too many priests who seem to have an issue with it either.

It's really a matter of personal conviction. The practice of communion is a specific inclusive command to the church as the fellowship and body of believers rather than something exclusive to a particular denomination, and priests who my wife has spoken to on this very issue support this view.

I hope this doesn't infringe Site rules.

De Colores

Bogong
I would do nothing to purposely offend a brother or sister because of their religious traditions. A pilgrim blessing is efficient. I also understand your sister-in-law I am familiar with the traditions of her church. I am happy she chose to partake of Holy Communion and experienced the Lord in that way.

I asked, as an Anglican, and was told by our Catholic Archbishop at home in France, that as long as i believed in the presence of Christ at the Communion then I was welcome to take part. Seems straightforward enough to me. I didn't ask again, and i would have been sorry not to share in this important part of a pilgrimage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There was a thread last week begun by an Anglican priest looking for a christian guide to the camino. Perhaps his camino and your overlap? Beun Camino.

Can't help on this one, but as a Jewish pilgrim I always attend, don't really participate but observe the Pilgrims Mass wherever I may be, I always come forward when the priest blesses we pilgrims, and have always received an especially warm and welcoming (after some initial surprise) blessing, always happily enjoyed by me- an important step along any stage of my personal pilgrimage(s).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There have been pretty exhaustive threads on this topic before-perhaps doing a little research might clarify things for the original poster? We should be aware, especially in areas that are sensitive if not to us then to others, of the difference between seeking 'confirmation data', getting opinion and finding out the actual position of the RC church on communion-which though it may not be as accommodating as you, and I, might want is the stated position of the Catholic Church…. at the moment.

As a practicing Roman Catholic who gratefully received, and continues to gratefully receive, wherever and whenever I can across a number of denominations on my current pilgrimage I understand that profound yearning for the eucharist. But one needs to be sensitive to each situation, church community and celebrant. Simply doing a thing because 'I' want to or it 'feels right to me' is not always ok. Such actions can have a cost (and one I've paid on occasion) and it's a cost that's not just borne by you but by the local congregation, their celebrant and possibly, longer term, the wider pilgrim community.

Now as part of my prep work I spend time becoming familiar with/revising the general order of service in the Protestant churches in the areas through which I walk (God bless youtube) and also spend some time learning/revising the German and French versions of prayers such as the Our Father and other key parts of the service that require a response. It's a process that is similar but bit more intense than the revision I'll do before crossing back into Spain again on final leg of this pilgrimage so I can follow mass more easily and respond with the congregation.

Of course I know that most pilgrims will be respectful and sensitive and also that local observances can be surprisingly different to one's own (a bit of light chatting and strolling across to light candles during service etc can all be part of the local norm) and that may give rise to some unintentional, and innocent, pilgrim 'gaffs'. But I've also been at a mass where some of the pilgrim 'communicants' were acting like restless sport fans during a particularly boring game and who "went up to get the little wafer" just because their friends did. When I later asked one of them why they thought that was appropriate they said it was a just part of their overall "touristic experience" and as such "ok"……….not so much pilgrims it's a sacrament.

Last edited:
I am an Anglican priest. I was raised in a Presbyterian background and my early theological education for ordination was in a Presbyterian setting. I therefore have both personal and academic interest in the issues around intercommunion between churches.

It has been my good fortune to serve in a denomination in which communion is readily offered to those of other traditions. It has also been an immense privilege to recieve the sacrament from Roman Catholic priests on rare occasions - usually as part of an ecumenical pilgrimage. At those masses the priests have always been aware of my background and felt able in good conscience to offer me the sacrament. However, such circumstances are exceptional.

I accept with sadness but understanding the official Catholic position on intercommunion. I will not place a priest at the altar rail in the invidious position of having to decide whether to give the sacrament to a non-Catholic or uphold his church's stated discipline. To those who have argued for a "don't ask, don't tell" approach I would suggest there is an implicit dishonesty in that which sits uneasily in an approach to communion. It can be very painful to share so much of the cultural, religious and spiritual aspects of pilgrimage and still be denied this one potent element. But like physical pain it is a symptom of a very real brokenness within Christianity and it cannot simply be wished away.

I don't know about Spain, but in the US, here are the official guidelines for reception of Holy Communion

@pjacobi. I have read the guidelines you refer to and the word "catholic" is used. This word is taken by many to include all who can say the creeds without reservation and, relevant to this discussion, have a belief in the presence of Christ in the outward and visible signs of Communion. And that is a very broad church indeed, in my experience.

And it matters more what the priests we pilgrims will encounter on our journey will do (see @scruffy1). And not words on paper, possibly written with ultra-conservatives in mind.

I ("a Jewish pilgrim") always come forward when the priest blesses we pilgrims, and have always received an especially warm and welcoming (after some initial surprise) blessing, always happily enjoyed by me- an important step along any stage of my personal pilgrimage(s).

Yes. That is surely what pilgrimage is all about. Being welcomed and received. Thank you for sharing this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@pjacobi. I have read the guidelines you refer to and the word "catholic" is used. This word is taken by many to include all who can say the creeds without reservation and, relevant to this discussion, have a belief in the presence of Christ in the outward and visible signs of Communion. And that is a very broad church indeed, in my experience.

Coming from the more Anglo-Catholic end of the Anglican spectrum I have some sympathy with what you say. However, I feel your argument is badly flawed. In statements such as this it is clear from the context when "catholic" is to be understood specifically as "Roman Catholic". It would be a clear and deliberate misconstruction to assert that those of other denominations are included if they self-identify as 'catholic'. To outwardly conform to some form of words or other test by inwardly giving it a markedly different personal interpretation is an example of what is called "mental reservation". A very dubious practice.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
To outwardly conform to some form of words or other test by inwardly giving it a markedly different personal interpretation is an example of what is called "mental reservation". A very dubious practice.

Noted.

My interpretation is based on the statements by bishops and priests in these parts of the world, albeit at "special" occasions, such as weddings and funerals. And I have heard an invitation to all present to receive communion without qualification on one such occasion.

So the written words may reflect "official" view that "Catholics" subsist only in the Roman branch. The practice on the ground seems to be changing, in some places at least.

As I have written on a similar post:
Is it my job, when on the way, to wade through official documents for the places where I will be? Or can I assume the apparent Roman approach in my part of the world is applicable until told otherwise when attempting to receive Communion? Or do I follow the grand advice given to me by my Roman Catholic wife: "I would not invite you to a meal and then refuse to feed you."

To summarise: Is it officialdom that rules or a pastoral view?

"Or do I follow the grand advice given to me by my Roman Catholic wife: "I would not invite you to a meal and then refuse to feed you."

OK. Let's take a meal analogy:
A couple are getting married. They invite 200 family and friends to the ceremony. They invite only 50 of the closest guests to a meal afterwards. Should they exclude the others? - a debatable point. Are they entitled to do so? - certainly. Are the 150 entitled to take the food which they have not been offered in any case? Do they have the right to demand more than the limited share in the celebration they have received?

Whether we agree or not with their policy I would argue strongly that non-Catholics do not have the right to disregard Catholic sacramental discipline. We are invited to share worship to a certain extent. As guests it is not for us to define the limits of that hospitality. My desire to receive communion does not take precedence over the Catholic church's right and duty to administer the sacraments as it feels appropriate. The decision to extend or refuse communion is not an arbitrary one. If you, I or any other non-Catholic feels frustration or sorrow at being denied this very central element in Christian experience then sadly that is a reflection of the reality of Christian division. When on camino we so often focus on the positive, affirming elements of faith. Intercommunion is perhaps the hardest rock we run into on that path.

@Bradypus, thank you for your input.

As the local farmer at a cross roads replied to the tourists asking how to get to a particular town: "I wouldn't start from here".

Faith is not logic. The Roman Catholic Church, even with the refreshing Francis at its head, in my humble understanding, is not the entire church catholic.

Christian unity, which will particularly be prayed for this Good Friday, starts at a local level.

For me it started with my Roman Catholic wife, shortly after I met her not that long ago, inviting me (an Anglican) to receive Communion with her in her parish church. And she reciprocated. All the Anglican and Roman priests and ordinaries we encountered knew our respective backgrounds and continued to offer Communion to us both, with warmth. So much for "official" pronouncements.

You mention a meal with uninvited guests: I recently hosted a small family gathering and used a location that had been used by my wife in an earlier vocation. Some people joined us uninvited for the chat before a meal. Of course they were invited to walk with us to the historic pub nearby to share the meal with us, pari passu. These uninvited guests contributed immensely to the occasion.

@Bradypus, you and I are starting at different ends of the spectrum for administration/management/discipline. Although I suspect we have a lot in common in our faith, I also suspect we will continue to talk past one another should we continue this debate.

@Bradypus, thank you for your input.

@Bradypus, you and I are starting at different ends of the spectrum for administration/management/discipline. Although I suspect we have a lot in common in our faith, I also suspect we will continue to talk past one another should we continue this debate.

I am glad that we can at least express our differing views with respect. I do understand that for you the heart of the matter is personal experience - sharing at a deep level with your wife and her church community in their love and celebration. I am delighted that you have found a Catholic community which continues to embrace you in this way. As I said in an earlier post my rare experiences of receiving communion from Catholic priests have been an immense joy and privilege. I share the personal hopes and joys and frustrations common to all Christians. For most Christians their engagement with the life of the church is largely intuitive, emotional, local and personal. Clergy and religious must engage with the church at all levels - the individual, the congregation, his/her own denomination, and the wider Christian community. The priest is also often the main point of contact between the church and other institutions. In doing so inevitably we operate within a complex world of hierarchies and structures and rules. While these can seem cold abstract notions and often appear deadeningly contrary to the spiritual heart of faith they are part of the reality with which we deal. They are the product of our collective history and experience and, however flawed, an expression of our religious identity. Fortunately they are always a work in progress, often in painfully slow evolution. Just occasionally in joyful bounds. In my childhood in Scotland it was rare for Catholics and Protestants to pray together or even attend the same schools. The rules forebade it. We make progress slowly. I believe we will do so better and more fundamentally when we respect each other's traditions, practices and values.

Pax et bonum.

As far as I know, the general Anglican position on non-Anglicans receiving communion in Anglican Churches is not exactly open communion. It is rather that firstly, anyone who is baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit has fulfilled the only requirement for membership in the Anglican Church and so is in communion and can receive communion; secondly, no one who comes up to receive communion is normally turned away. I don't know if there are any exceptions and anyone who is better educated in this matter is welcome to correct me.
I received communion only once on camino, when the drawing was so strong that I could not even consider refusing it. In general, as an Anglican educated in a Catholic theology college I am aware of the formal principles excluding from receiving those who are not full members of the Catholic Church and I wish to respect that position.
As do I. Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am an Anglican but I took communion at Catholic Masses whenever I came across them on the camino, i cluding several times in Santiago Cathedral (even though they now say Catholics only). I don't believe God cares which church you belong to and the service is almost the same. I am a Christian first and my denomination is just down to the family I was born into. Last year I organised a pilgrimage by coach and we took an Anglican bishop with us to lead the worship. He was welcomed and allowed to celebrate communion (by prior arrangement) in Roncesvalles Abbey, San Isodoro in Leon, the church in O'Cebreiro and in a side chapel in Santiago Cathedral. We attended the Pilgrim Mass in the Cathedral and four of us were invited to sit on the bench by the altar, were greeted by the Dean, our bishop presented the incense and made a speech (invocation) - in fact the Catholic clergy could not have been any more welcoming wherever we went. Why do we have these divisions? I would like joint membership of them all!

Thanks to all of you for your insight on this topic. I truly appreciate your opinions. I will survive without taking Communion, will be grateful for the Blessing, and would never presume to take the Sacrament in a church that had strict rules about such things. I'm a Christian, and i know that the communion i have with Him on the Camino will be every bit as enriching. Blessings all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for your desission and thank you for respecting our belief in the Holy Sacrament. The Catholic church or any church or denomination I believe welcomes all to pray inside their parishes.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back