• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Place to leave a stone (like Cruz de Ferro) on Portuguese Camino?

Mars R

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances done March 2014
Hi there,

I liked walking with a stone and placing it at Cruz de Ferro when we did our Camino Frances.

Is there a similar place for this on the Portuguese Camino? I guess I can place it anywhere, but just wanted to know if there might be a place of significance for this ritual..

Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a cross on the Portela de Alto Grande mountain between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães but please do not place any stones or items there . The Portuguese do not appreciate that . the Cruz dos Franceses or Cruz dos Mortos, is a homanage to the Portuguese who fight against invading French army .

Last edited:
There is a cross on the Portela de Alto Grande mountain between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães but please do not place any stones or items there . The Portuguese do not appreciate that . the Cruz dos Franceses or Cruz dos Mortos, is a homanage to the Portuguese who fight against invading French army .

oh goodness, I will make a note of that.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Mars, this topic has come up a few times in the past and the discussions have resulted in some strong views being expressed - not that you would be expected to know that of course!
Probably the best thing is just to leave your stone somewhere that feels right and special to you, and feels like it does not impose something that might become unwanted on the people and lands you are passing through. I would just leave it at that. But if you really want to dig into this a bit more, here are three earlier threads...
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/where-to-place-my-rock.50057/#post-546830

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ng-point-on-the-portuguese.47235/#post-507220

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...t-on-the-camino-portuguese.28008/#post-229801

Best wishes

Mars, this topic has come up a few times in the past and the discussions have resulted in some strong views being expressed - not that you would be expected to know that of course!
Probably the best thing is just to leave your stone somewhere that feels right and special to you, and feels like it does not impose something that might become unwanted on the people and lands you are passing through. I would just leave it at that. But if you really want to dig into this a bit more, here are three earlier threads...
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/where-to-place-my-rock.50057/#post-546830

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ng-point-on-the-portuguese.47235/#post-507220

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...t-on-the-camino-portuguese.28008/#post-229801

Best wishes

Thanks so much for this info. I totally respect that and very grateful to know this now!

Hi there,

I liked walking with a stone and placing it at Cruz de Ferro when we did our Camino Frances.

Is there a similar place for this on the Portuguese Camino? I guess I can place it anywhere, but just wanted to know if there might be a place of significance for this ritual..

Thank you!
Yes there is. A cross placed on Napoleon's pass, as I recall. Lots of rubbish was left around too, sadly, when I was there in 2016.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This past April - May (2017) when I walked the Camino Portuguese to Santiago from Lisbon, I deposited a stone to commemorate my recently passed father at the international borderline on the steel girder bridge between Valenca, Portugal and Tui, Spain. The line is painted on the railing and deck iIRC.

As a Navy veteran, my dad would have appreciated my little private ceremony. I read the commitment prayer from the US Navy service for a burial at sea. Then facing the setting sun in the west, in the direction of the Atlantic, I deposited "dad" over the side. With a final salute, I continued into Spain...

It worked for me. Moreover, unlike Cruz de Ferro and similar repositories, it does not detract from the view by creating a mountain of assorted stones, rocks, and a host of other mementos deposited by passing pilgrims. You may not know that periodically, these items must be cleaned up and removed. Another mountain soon replaces the replaced items.

Depositing my father's stone into the River Minho ensures that it will repose there, undisturbed, like forever.

Hope this helps the dialog.

This past April - May (2017) when I walked the Camino Portuguese to Santiago from Lisbon, I deposited a stone to commemorate my recently passed father at the international borderline on the steel girder bridge between Valenca, Portugal and Tui, Spain.

As a side note, and sorry to derail the thread, what did you think of the Lisbon-Porto stretch? I am going to walk the Caminho Português from either Lisbon or Porto next year and am trying to get as many people's views as possible on whether it's worth starting in Lisbon or not.

Edit: And my deep condolences about the passing of your father, and sorry for my insensitivity in failing to write that in my original post.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This past April - May (2017) when I walked the Camino Portuguese to Santiago from Lisbon, I deposited a stone to commemorate my recently passed father at the international borderline on the steel girder bridge between Valenca, Portugal and Tui, Spain. The line is painted on the railing and deck iIRC.

As a Navy veteran, my dad would have appreciated my little private ceremony. I read the commitment prayer from the US Navy service for a burial at sea. Then facing the setting sun in the west, in the direction of the Atlantic, I deposited "dad" over the side. With a final salute, I continued into Spain...

It worked for me. Moreover, unlike Cruz de Ferro and similar repositories, it does not detract from the view by creating a mountain of assorted stones, rocks, and a host of other mementos deposited by passing pilgrims. You may not know that periodically, these items must be cleaned up and removed. Another mountain soon replaces the replaced items.

Depositing my father's stone into the River Minho ensures that it will repose there, undisturbed, like forever.

Hope this helps the dialog.
A beautiful tribute in the naval tradition, Tom. I'm sure your dad was present there with you.

Personally, again this is my opinion, there was too much road walking on national routes for my preference. While the towns and small cities are wonderful and beautiful, the main roads have very narrow verges or shoulders. In Spain, the typical verge or shoulder is at least a meter from the traffic lane. In Portugal, half-a-meter is more or less standard.

This makes some of the passing trailer trucks, busses, and construction equipment a tad close for my personal comfort. I had to retrieve my lightweight ball cap four times after the slipstream from passing trucks blew it off.

This DOES NOT mean you should not walk this stretch. What I am suggesting is that you are aware of the conditions. Also, I recommend taking a train from downtown Lisbon (Oriente Station) up to Azambuja. This leap frogs over the industrial belt that surrounds Lisbon, and saved perhaps two days walking.

Personally, I find walking through warehouses and industrial estates soul-sapping. Simply start at the Cathedral, walk to Oriente station, then leap frog to Azambuja. Proceed from there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Tom is a very great friend of mine, so we spar at times but I totally agree with him about the proximity of the traffic on the Central Route. The coastal is very pleasant and it would be a great place to leave a tribute on a beach.
I remember a Boy Scout Master who warned us scouts every night at camp after dinner as we threw stones into a large pond near the dining hall that one day the lake would be full of stones and we would have clean it out.
I don't think Tom's tribute to his dad will create any such problem for the Minho River and what a perfect place to pay tribute. There is so much history associated with that river and the mythology of the divide between Portugal and Spain, besides in the matter of seconds you pass from one time zone to another crossing this bridge.
Here is a tribute I left to my daughter on the beach in Biarritz.DSC00221.JPG

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for your insight Tom, much appreciated.

Also, I recommend taking a train from downtown Lisbon (Oriente Station) up to Azambuja. This leap frogs over the industrial belt that surrounds Lisbon, and saved perhaps two days walking.

We live in Lisbon, so part of the attraction of starting from Lisbon is walking out our door all the way to Santiago. Maybe we'd be better just starting in Porto after all. Anyway, something to think about, cheers.

I disagree with the views off there being too many busy roads on the Lisbon to Porto stretch.
I walked it in April 2017. At this time there was a long stretch into Azambuja (which i skipped) on the road but this is now changed to a path next to the train line. The route has changed a lot over the last few years.
I think it's worth walking and if you want to check out why, my videos on YouTube are below.
Either way Boa Viagem!

Camino Portuguese April - May 2017: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6_LoreKUN6A9_ZUEQdJtBwpvdG4VUxTe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@jungleboy , go on step out your door and be off.

The stretch between Porto and Lisbon is fine, I liked the stroll along the river leading into/outof Lisbon, though a pilgrim was badly as assaulted there a year ago. But on a bright day with the many locals enjoying the board walk it would be a lovely way to start your Camino. Yes there area some road and industrial sections, but that's the way of it.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back