• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Place to Stay in Astorga

nanamaggie

Hi I am starting my Camino in Astorga on Sept. 19th. Arriving by train late afternoon do I need to book a bed? Where is the best place to stay and buy a passport? Help please. :?: Nanamaggie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I suggest getting a passport sent from Confraternity of St James, are you in Europe? If you are not in Europe there will probably be a local Confraternity of some sort, where you can get one. You still have time to have one sent from England though. Astorga accommodation, network hostel St Javier, lovely converted historic building near cathedral, Calle Porteria 6. 110 beds. Ph 987 618 532. or La Peseta, hostal Plaza San Bartolome with award winning restaurant Maragateria Ph 987 617 275. I would say you can probably take the risk on the first option, but book if you want to stay in the hostal. Have a lovely time, Gitti

I would think that you could get a credential at either the San Javier or the municipal albergue. One of the best meals I had on the camino was at Restaurant Gaudi around the corner from San Javier--the pilgrim's menu.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you've been en route for a few weeks and feel like pampering yourself (as we did) or decide to go for a luxurious launch to your Camino then treat yourself to a front of house room at the Hotel Gaudi - these come with great views of the Archbishops palace....and a fantastic dinner with white linen tablecloths!
But wherever you eat just remember to save some space for the delicious macaroons which are a speciality of the town. If you have the will power to save one for the next day they get even sticker and more delicious and make a welcome snack on the way up to Rabanal/Foncebadon :D

Nell

Be careful about staying in St. Javier! Be sure to check your beds for bugs before sleeping.

Although we loved it our first Camino, on our second Camino it was overrun with BEDBUGS and the guy admitting people KNEW IT and still took in pilgrims. When we discovered the bugs, we asked for our money back. He gave it, and down the road we met many pilgrims with bedbug bites, most of whom had stayed at St. Javier and picked them up there.

We stayed in the municipal alburgue, which was very clean and had NO bugs!

I was in Astorga this year for the World Cup and stayed at San Javier. The hospitelera was very kind, and provided a coupon for the menu del peregrino at the Gaudi restaurant. Because we wanted to watch the Cup, me and my friends ended up eating at a local bar with the TV on instead, but it was nice to have the option. San Javier provided an excellent breakfast in the morning with toast, juice, coffee, yogurt, granola, milk and fruit and overall, I had a wonderful experience there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The top level at San Javier is newly restored. The second level was due a bed bug treatment, then restoration. Bed bugs don't start at San Javier. They come from somewhere else, so you need to vigilant everywhere.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back