• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Place to stay in SJPdP - Sept 27

tohams

This is fun. I land in Paris on the redeye on September 26. I leave for SJPdP on the overnight train that night and planned on starting to walk on September 27 to Orisson.

So apparently, the contact form on the Orisson site doesn't work. I didn't know this. For the last 3 weeks, I've been trying to reach them there. Now they're already booked up for the 27th.

So I tried to look at the L'Espirit du Chemin website and they close for the season on the 27th.

So now what? I see at least one albergue municipal, but thinking about it, I'll have been sleeping on two forms of public transportation (plane and train) for 2 nights in a row. I'm not sure how well I'll sleep. So maybe a hotel wouldn't be a bad idea to get a good night sleep before walking all the way through to Roncesvalle.

Can anyone suggest a decent, inexpensive hotel in SJPdP? If anyone wants to share a double, I'd be up for that.

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Thomas,
Sorry to hear about your troubles with accomodations. I can't help you out with the sharing thing mostly because I will be going through SJPdP on 05Sep. I am not sure what you mean by inexpensive but I am staying at the Errecaldia which is on the edge of town. It came quite highly recommended on this site which is why I chose it a the time. I will be paying about 40Euros. Here's the website:
http://errecaldia.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
Hope it helps. Tim was the owner and was very helpful.
Buen Camino,
Bill

Thomas, you may want to check out day rates at the CDG airports. I got a really good rate for the Ibis that is on the airport grounds. It's not on their website, but it wouldn't hurt to go ask. If you want more information, PM me.

And you might want to check Orisson again closer to the time you're going to get there or ask someone at the pilgrim office to call up there & see if they've had a cancellation. Stranger things have happened. :)

Kelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thomas,
Here is where you can get a bed for 10 Euros, near the train station in SJPdeP. Go with confidence.
jeanmarie.mailharro@wanadoo.fr

If you're adamant to hit the road quickly, you can try getting a reservation at Hunto (5km from SJpdP on your way to Rocesvalles.

Have a good trip,
Jean-Marc

Thomas

If checking later on for a cancellation at Orisson doesn't pan out, you could try the alternate route through Valcarlos, which is supposed to be less strenuous, although less spectacular as well. And if the weather turns ugly, this may be the better choice.

I have just found out that Orisson is booked up for Sept. 8th as well, so I will still arrive in SJPP on the 7th and play it by ear.

In any case, given my poor physical condition, I'm going to get off to a slow and easy start to avoid disappointments... Going all the way to Roncevalles the first day would seem a recipe for disaster, especially if you are weary and jet-lagged.

Good luck!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
For those who do want to get a start up the mountain - as Jean-Marc pointed out there is an albergue a couple of kilometers before Orisson at a spot called Huntto (Hunto). If you stop in at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP, they will phone up for you (to both spots) to check if there is room and reserve you a spot if there is.
What you don't want to do is head up over the mountain unless you are sure you have a spot to stay or you can make it to Roncesvalles before dusk. It would be difficult or next to impossible to find your way if you can't see and there is nothing between Orisson and Roncesvalles (no houses, restaurants, people I mean).
Buen camino
Cecelia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back