• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Place yourself in the driver's seat on the Camino.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
This year, I am going to go slow on the CF. I want to really relax and enjoy the walk (I rushed it too much the first time); I do not intend to run it, and I will definitely ignore the so called "bed race": I have aquired a relaxed attitude: If there is no room in the albergue, I shall sleep in my sleeping bag on a bench, if so needed. Or maybe treat myself to an occational hostal... I just want to walk in peace without such worries. But I believe I will always find a bed, though.

I hold a naval skipper certificate. As a skipper, I have brought sailing boats across many oceans. I have learnt two rules when sailing across the oceans:

1. If you are in doubt about a situation, act as if there is no doubt. (Safety).
2. When it is time to take a reef in the sails, it is too late to take a reef in the sails. (Too rough conditions for continuing as you do).

Let me explain: If your feeet start hurting, you have gone too far that day. If you are afraid that your feet will be hurt, you may have gone too far. If you are uncertain whether you can take the afternoon heat, act as if you cannot take it. Easy going will get you going. I will give you an example:

One year on the VdlP, one sunny Sunday, I stopped at 1 o'clock in a tiny, boring village. I felt I had had enough that day. Checked into the albergue, and went to the only bar for a cold beer on a hot day. A party of four men, in their 60's, came by and joined me.

They had a "leader": A tall and strong man, a former sea captain, who had taken control of the group (formed on the way) and whipped them forward by 30-40 kms/day. Anything less was not acceptable for real men, according to him. After a short pause at the bar, he commanded them up for more walking. One of them resisted, and asked for my help to find the albergue. We then befriended, and walked together all the way to Santiago. Shorter distances/day. We shared meals, conversations, caretaking of each other, motivation, etc. He is my friend till this day.

The sea captain? He had to abort and return home when halfway to Santiago, because his feet became a disaster area, we learned. He just broke down on the Way.

You may meet such people on the Camino: Stay in your own driver's seat.

Advice:

Do not let others determine your Camino.
Stay away from those who "know it all": You know a lot, and on the Way, you will learn a lot.
You know your body best.
Listen to your body.
Let your mind, as well as your body, determine the speed of your Camino.

Most of all: Don't rush it. Enjoy the Way.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
...They had a "leader": A tall and strong man, a former sea captain, who had taken control of the group (formed on the way) and whipped them forward by 30-40 kms/day. Anything less was not acceptable for real men, according to him.
Hola Alex,
Good post with some very wise advice.
What is it with Scandinavian men? Every second one I met on the Camino was a seafarer, must be the Viking thing. (lol).
I walked most of the way (2009) with a very dear friend from Denmark (he was a man of the sea), we used to laugh (& drink) and joke about "real men".
Have a great Camino.
Colin

What is it with Scandinavian men? Every second one I met on the Camino was a seafarer, must be the Viking thing. (lol).
I come from a family of seafarers and hunters/fishermen in the Arctic for centuries: It is in my blood. And the sea teaches you a lot of good lessons. As well as being humble towards your environment/surroundings. And yes, the Viking element is working well...;)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am neither of Viking stock nor a sea-faring man but I certainly AGREE with Alex!
Over the years I have met so many unhappy pilgrims who were not listening to their body and unsuccessfully trying to run a race.

For example while walking towards Itero de Vega last November I met a Korean photographer who was truly pooped. She had been hired to film the solitude of long distance walkers. Setting off unprepared, trying to cover 30k a day, carrying more than 8 kilos in her pack plus a heavy expensive camera and a notebook computer, she was overloaded and well out of her comfort zone! Although she really needed a sherpa for three days I served as her shepherd(ress). We stayed in smaller albergues, ate well, walked slowly 20k max per day, took long siestas and laughed a lot. Best of all she learned to relax and let it be. ...Easy does it is a good camino motto.

Margaret Meredith

I walked with quite a few people who had come in groups and then drifted away on their own because of friction and self-appointed leaders. I'm a fairly social person but walking in that kind of environment doesnt appeal. I'm really not very good with "authority"... pathologically rebellious and contrary... Good thing is I get to enjoy the company of like minded people, dropouts and other "rebels". Makes life fun :D

I always appreciated the folks who slowed down their pace to walk with me for an hour or two and then sped off again.... Just goes to prove that just because some people are very fast walkers, they are not necessarily "missing" anything.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I always appreciated the folks who slowed down their pace to walk with me for an hour or two and then sped off again.... Just goes to prove that just because some people are very fast walkers, they are not necessarily "missing" anything.

That's pretty much what I did. I did a steady 5km/h on my own but slowed down to walk with others. I wasnt in a hurry, it's just my natural most comfortable pace. The best times were walking with a woman with a bad knee, we'd spend a good couple of hours most days at her pace, rambling about everything and anything. On my own I sped up again. I dont feel I missed out on anything by being a fast walker.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That's pretty much what I did. I did a steady 5km/h on my own but slowed down to walk with others.
'Very considerate of you. In 2009, I held ca. 5kms/h, but today I think I'm down to 4... (rounding 60 in a couple of days...) The next time I shall deliberately slow down.

I was more thinking about those who promote themselves to decide for others(such people are everywhere...): Don't let them do it to you. Decide for yourself.

Absolutely. Not just people but tradition too. I stopped in the depressing Monte de Gozo because it was a "traditional" final stop. Best decision I made was to hell with tradition and walked into SdC in the middle of the night.

The best thing on the Camino is freedom. Dont let anyone or anything steal it from you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My worst regret from the camino, and it still comes back to me - was when I didn't slow down to walk with an elderly Hungarian pilgrim (had met her in the albergue the night before - and no common language for communication). Next day on the path, she was clearly in pain, but I only passed her with a greeting.

Could I do it over, I would have walked with her - even in silence - and even if I would not have reached my objective for the day.

So please be mindful out there (as I was sadly not). It might mean so much to another pilgrim - and save you some mind searching later.

annelise

This year, I am going to go slow on the CF. I want to really relax and enjoy the walk (I rushed it too much the first time); I do not intend to run it, and I will definitely ignore the so called "bed race": I have aquired a relaxed attitude: If there is no room in the albergue, I shall sleep in my sleeping bag on a bench, if so needed. Or maybe treat myself to an occational hostal... I just want to walk in peace without such worries. But I believe I will always find a bed, though.

I hold a naval skipper certificate. As a skipper, I have brought sailing boats across many oceans. I have learnt two rules when sailing across the oceans:

1. If you are in doubt about a situation, act as if there is no doubt. (Safety).
2. When it is time to take a reef in the sails, it is too late to take a reef in the sails. (Too rough conditions for continuing as you do).

Let me explain: If your feeet start hurting, you have gone too far that day. If you are afraid that your feet will be hurt, you may have gone too far. If you are uncertain whether you can take the afternoon heat, act as if you cannot take it. Easy going will get you going. I will give you an example:

One year on the VdlP, one sunny Sunday, I stopped at 1 o'clock in a tiny, boring village. I felt I had had enough that day. Checked into the albergue, and went to the only bar for a cold beer on a hot day. A party of four men, in their 60's, came by and joined me.

They had a "leader": A tall and strong man, a former sea captain, who had taken control of the group (formed on the way) and whipped them forward by 30-40 kms/day. Anything less was not acceptable for real men, according to him. After a short pause at the bar, he commanded them up for more walking. One of them resisted, and asked for my help to find the albergue. We then befriended, and walked together all the way to Santiago. Shorter distances/day. We shared meals, conversations, caretaking of each other, motivation, etc. He is my friend till this day.

The sea captain? He had to abort and return home when halfway to Santiago, because his feet became a disaster area, we learned. He just broke down on the Way.

Advice:

Stay away from those who "know it all": You know a lot, and on the Way, you will learn a lot.
You know your body best.
Listen to your body.

Buen Camino!
Well said...

My worst regret from the camino, and it still comes back to me -
was when I sat in an outdoor cafe with a cup of coffee and no worries; money in my purse and in the bank, in Meride (VdlP), and a very old woman came by, begging, and I gave her nothing. As she rounded the corner, I understood my ignorance and ran after her, but she was gone. I felt really, really bad.

Next day I went to the same cafe, hoping she would show up (I had to stay in Meride for a few days because of foot injury: Not taking my own advice...) and she thankfully showed up again, so i made her sit down for a coffee, and collected money from the others on her behalf (+ my share). I got one of the sweetest kisses ever on my cheek. Since then, I have never passed an honest in need without giving some.

Another Camino lesson. Thank you.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
was when I sat in an outdoor cafe with a cup of coffee and no worries; money in my purse and in the bank, in Meride (VdlP), and a very old woman came by, begging, and I gave her nothing. As she rounded the corner, I understood my ignorance and ran after her, but she was gone. I felt really, really bad.

Next day I went to the same cafe, hoping she would show up (I had to stay in Meride for a few days because of foot injury: Not taking my own advice...) and she thankfully showed up again, so i made her sit down for a coffee, and collected money from the others on her behalf (+ my share). I got one of the sweetest kisses ever on my cheek. Since then, I have never passed an honest in need without giving some.

Another Camino lesson. Thank you.

Alex, a very good post, thank you. I will usually try to discern and may be wrong in this. - When travelling in Mexico some years ago, my son and I quickly passed an old mendicant sitting silently on the pavement - we were in a hurry at the time. But in the restaurant, we kind of searched our minds why we had not given him something (he was clearly in need), and coming back we gave him a rather large bill. He came running after us and thanked us profusely.

annelise

Advice:

You know your body best.
Listen to your body.

Buen Camino!

Great post, Alex. I also did my own thing. Fast some days, slow others, depending on what shape I was in. It pays to do it your own way. Every body is doing it right if they do it their own way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back