• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places of interest on the Camino Portuguese where I MUST stop.

Eswee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - Coastal (2017)
Primitivo (2019)
I am unfortunately one of those people who is very thorough in my planning ahead. I know it is not the way to do the Camino, but unfortunately I have to know what my next step will be. Please help me with the places of interest that I MUST stop on my route. I do not want to walk all the way from Porto to Santiago without stopping at any of the MUST stop places and regret afterwards that I have never stopped at the places. It can be any place or thing of interest. Please advise. My route is as follows:

Day 1: Porto to Angeiras (Senda Litoral)
Day 2: Angeiras to Povoa de Varzim (Senda Litoral)
Day 3: Povoa de Varzim to Marinhas (Coastal Route)
Day 4: Marinhas to Viana do Castelo (Coastal Route)
Day 5: Viana do Castelo to Caminha (Coastal Route)
Day 6: Caminha to Valencia
Day 7: Valencia to Mos
Day 8: Mos to Arcade
Day 9: Arcade to Barro
Day 10: Barro to Padron
Day 11: Padron to Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Eswee, take John Brierley with you, and you will be fine :rolleyes:.
Jill
Hi Jill. I do have John Brierley 8th edition(2016). The Coastal route is only a couple of pages at the end of his book with only maps and lists of places to sleep, but no place of interest to stop at.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Jill. I do have John Brierley 8th edition(2016). The Coastal route is only a couple of pages at the end of his book with only maps and lists of places to sleep, but no place of interest to stop at.

Ah . . . good point, but it must include Padrón. Don’t miss the climb up the hill to where St James is believed to have preached. Well worth it!
Jill

Ah . . . good point, but it must include Padrón. Don’t miss the climb up the hill to where St James is believed to have preached. Well worth it!
Jill
Thanks for the info. The latter part of my camino (from Valencia) is in detail in John Brierley's book. It is the first part that I need some info on what to see. I will look out for the Via Crucis to the Monte Santiaguino. Is this the hill you mentioned?

Well, I for one would change all your plans for after Arcade and take the Variante Espiritual to Santiago. For me it was the Porto-Santiago's redeeming quality. But I had walked the Central route, not the coastal.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is the first part that I need some info on what to see.

Hi Eswee, the first half of your camino is along the coast, which is not an historical route, although it is a lovely walk (if the weather is kind to you).

Viana do Castelo, Valenca and Tui are really nice old towns, and small enough to wander around for a couple of hours. Soak up the old buildings and narrow streets. They are great places to just “be”, and the locals are friendly :D
Jill

Last edited:
Viana do Castelo, Valenca and Tui are really nice old towns, and small enough to wander around for a couple of hours. Soak up the old buildings and narrow streets. They are great places to just “be”, and the locals are friendly :D
Jill
If he is walking the Coastal, he will bypass Valença/Tui, no? Pontvedra is lovely.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, I for one would change all your plans for after Arcade and take the Variante Espiritual to Santiago. For me it was the Porto-Santiago's redeeming quality. But I had walked the Central route, not the coastal.
Due to my time constraint, I cannot do the Variante Espiritual.

Hi Eswee, the first half of your camino is along the coast, which is not an historical route, although it is a lovely walk (if the weather is kind to you).

Jill
Thanks Jill. I will take some time off to experience these towns.

Hi Eswee, I’ll be interested to hear about the section between Caminha and Valenca, as I haven’t walked that stretch. I am thinking about including it in a trip next year, but possibly in the reverse direction. So please make some notes along the way! I’m not sure that day is way-marked. Do you know? I believe you can follow a cycle route for quite a way.
Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Eswee, I’ll be interested to hear about the section between Caminha and Valenca, as I haven’t walked that stretch. I am thinking about including it in a trip next year, but possibly in the reverse direction. So please make some notes along the way! I’m not sure that day is way-marked. Do you know? I believe you can follow a cycle route for quite a way.
Jill
Hi Jill. My sister walked it in April and told me just to walk with the river on my left. I want to follow the route as per Luis do Freixo. (www.caminador.es/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/1-CAMINHOS-MINHO-SUR-GUIA-2x1-2.pdf). I will report back when I have done it.

JB's internet site says that the 2018 edition (coming out in late 2017) will include the description of both the coastal route and the variante espiritual.

Jill

I think that you basically follow a cycle path?
I've also read somewhere that there is a new youth hostel in vila nova da cerveira.

[QUOTE="

most MUST places are right on your Camino, so you won't have to look for them; however, if you have the time and will, here are a couple

Day 7: Valencia to Mos - obviously Tui and the inside of the cathedral; if you have the time and the means, the 'Monte Aloi' just outside of town is awesome with great views of everywhere and megalithic ruins (very uphill and several kms off the Camino)

Day 8: Mos to Arcade - San Simón island is cool, with a cooler Captain Nemo monument and beach; near Cesantes and not too far from Arcade. Up the hill from Arcade is the restored Soutomaior Castle, which if you have the time may deserve a visit.

Day 9: Arcade to Barro - Pontevedra deserves at least a couple hours. The basilica is often overlooked as the Camino does not go by it; so is the Franciscan church. Even if you are not a Catholic, the sanctuary of the apparitions may be one of the 'more unusual' places to see on the CP. There's some small but cute waterfalls with couple cafeterias about a km off the Camino, just before Barro.

Day 10: Barro to Padron - Caldas de Reis deserves a stop for a second breakfast. The preschool (pilgrims are frequently 'kidnapped' and get to meet the kiddies) and the graffiti bar at Carracedo. The Santiaguiño area at the top of the hill in Padrón is much more moving than Padrón itself. If you have the time, the detour to the Herbón monastery near Pedrón is interesting and there is an albergue there (the walk into town is just as ugly as the one from Pontecesures).

Day 11: Padron to Santiago.[/QUOTE] .

Good luck and Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Porto: The Port Wine Institute (lovely views of the river too) has superb port and welcomes scruffy, smelly pilgrims, even tho' it looks a bit 'posh'. A tour of a port lodge and a river trip. For a culinary wowza! (vegetarians look away...) go to a cafe and order a 'Francosinho' - you will not need to eat for a week..!

[QUOTE="

most MUST places are right on your Camino, so you won't have to look for them; however, if you have the time and will, here are a couple

Day 7: Valencia to Mos - obviously Tui and the inside of the cathedral; if you have the time and the means, the 'Monte Aloi' just outside of town is awesome with great views of everywhere and megalithic ruins (very uphill and several kms off the Camino)

Day 8: Mos to Arcade - San Simón island is cool, with a cooler Captain Nemo monument and beach; near Cesantes and not too far from Arcade. Up the hill from Arcade is the restored Soutomaior Castle, which if you have the time may deserve a visit.

Day 9: Arcade to Barro - Pontevedra deserves at least a couple hours. The basilica is often overlooked as the Camino does not go by it; so is the Franciscan church. Even if you are not a Catholic, the sanctuary of the apparitions may be one of the 'more unusual' places to see on the CP. There's some small but cute waterfalls with couple cafeterias about a km off the Camino, just before Barro.

Day 10: Barro to Padron - Caldas de Reis deserves a stop for a second breakfast. The preschool (pilgrims are frequently 'kidnapped' and get to meet the kiddies) and the graffiti bar at Carracedo. The Santiaguiño area at the top of the hill in Padrón is much more moving than Padrón itself. If you have the time, the detour to the Herbón monastery near Pedrón is interesting and there is an albergue there (the walk into town is just as ugly as the one from Pontecesures).

Good luck and Buen Camino[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much Jeffery. I will make time to visit these places.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hope you are planning at least a full day or two in Porto. For me, that would be a definite "must stop". Enjoy your journey!
Thank you Doogman. After I have finished my Camino, I must return to Porto to catch my flight back home. Luckily I will have a day and a half to explore Porto then.

In Porto: The Port Wine Institute (lovely views of the river too) has superb port and welcomes scruffy, smelly pilgrims, even tho' it looks a bit 'posh'. A tour of a port lodge and a river trip. For a culinary wowza! (vegetarians look away...) go to a cafe and order a 'Francosinho' - you will not need to eat for a week..!
Thank you hecate105. I am a wine lover and will make a point to visit the Port Wine Institute.

The waterfall at Barosa (6km before Caldas de Reis) is beautiful and the cool waters a treat for sore feet!

Hola - the traditional Coastal Route is as historic as other routes through Portugal. The Littoral or seaside route is a modern variant when local authorities buit boardwalks and promenades. However these are not contiguous. The Coastal Route is not always by the coast. The Seaside Route is.

I've compiled detailed walking notes to both of these routes :

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...és-coastal-route-and-the-seaside-route.48740/

In Porto: The Port Wine Institute (lovely views of the river too) has superb port and welcomes scruffy, smelly pilgrims, even tho' it looks a bit 'posh'. A tour of a port lodge and a river trip.

Hi, could you provide a link please? Mr Google keeps taking me to Lisbon.
Thanks!
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola - the traditional Coastal Route is as historic as other routes through Portugal. The Littoral or seaside route is a modern variant when local authorities buit boardwalks and promenades. However these are not contiguous. The Coastal Route is not always by the coast. The Seaside Route is.

I've compiled detailed walking notes to both of these routes :

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...és-coastal-route-and-the-seaside-route.48740/
Thank you for the info Johnnie Walker. I do not have a kindle and therefore have to get the hard copy book. I already contacted the CSJ here in Cape Town (South Africa), but they do not have your book for sale. It looks like only the CSJ in England do have it for sale.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks!
This looks like the website of the wine institute:
https://www.ivdp.pt/

Porto Shop
IVDP has opened a new promotion area in its building at Rua Ferreira Borges, in Oporto. It includes a wine shop, tasting room and a visit tour aiming to show the process of Port and Douro Wine certification.
This is a combined space of reception, tastings, visits and wine sales, allowing its visitors to have first contact with the Douro Region, commented / guided Port Wine tastings, visits to the areas where laboratory and sensory analysis for the wine certification are made, and a shop with a wide range of these wines.

Services
- Sale of Port and Douro Wines, publications and other printed material related to Port Wine and the Douro Demarcated Region.
- Guided Port Wine Tastings
- Guided tours to the laboratories and Tasting Chamber
- DVD projection / screening about the Douro Region and the wine making process.
- Publications of the IVDP library

Opening hours:
Monday - Friday - 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
Contact
Loja de Vinhos do Douro e do Porto
Rua Ferreira Borges, 27
4050-253 - Porto - Portugal
Tel: +351 22 2071669
Fax: +351 22 2071699
Email: lojaporto@ivdp.pt

Thanks!
Jill
Solar do Vinho do Porto
220, Rua de Entre Quintas, Porto, Portugal
Thanks!
Jill

Solar do Vinho do Porto
set by the Crystal Palace Gardens - also worth a look - and amazing views out over the Douro river....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Solar do Vinho do Porto
set by the Crystal Palace Gardens - also worth a look - and amazing views out over the Douro river....

Hi
Thanks. So is this a different place to what Eswee found above?
Do you have a link to their website?
Jill

Not sure if this is on your route but between Barcelos and Bonte de Lima is Casa Da Fernanda in Lugar Do Cordo . Best time ever , lots of fun , you will feel welcome . Little tricky to find but is right on the trail , everyone who has stayed there will speak positive about their experience

Not sure if this is on your route but between Barcelos and Bonte de Lima is Casa Da Fernanda in Lugar Do Cordo . Best time ever , lots of fun , you will feel welcome . Little tricky to find but is right on the trail , everyone who has stayed there will speak positive about their experience
Casa Fernanda is on the Central, not where the OP will be walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Jill
I totally agree. Such a special place. And go to the church ( Igrexa de Santiago)where you can see where the mooring post to which the boat carrying St James was tied called O Pedrón.

For me, one of the best places on the coast just after A Guarda was the lovely little village of Oia. And a bit of a treat staying at the wonderful Casa Puertas.

For me, one of the best places on the coast just after A Guarda was the lovely little village of Oia. And a bit of a treat staying at the wonderful Casa Puertas.
I will be staying there in a few weeks, looking forward to it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The OP will not be going through Oia :(.
Great little place though :).
I also stayed at Casa Puertas (about E45 for a twin room).
Three of us had a fabulous late lunch at the restaurant near the beach :p.
We then walked up the (very steep) road to the top, where there is a good shop on the main road.
It sells everything :eek:.
We bought a couple of bottles of wine, and some savoury snacks :rolleyes:.
Then spent the evening in the private garden :).
Really nice.
All that’s needed now is an albergue in Oia :D.
Jill

Yes Jill I remember both having a great lunch at the restaurant just down from Casa Puertas and thst killer hill to the shop! Should be a Camino that walk!!:eek:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We then walked up the (very steep) road to the top, where there is a good shop on the main road.
Really nice.
Jill
Jsalt, looks like you are very much in tune with the Camino Portugues. I will be in Lisbon to start walking on Sept 19th but have not planned the route yet. Only thing is that I want to go to Fatima.
I am walking solo so what do you recommend? And any advise on anything will be much appreciated.

Fb @theworldmyvillage
IG @theworldmyvillage

Only thing is that I want to go to Fatima.
I am walking solo so what do you recommend?

Hi, sorry, I don’t do FB :rolleyes:.

Yes, don’t miss Fatima; a very important place for me.

You will be fine solo. The Portuguese are very kind and helpful. I meet more people and have more interesting caminos if I walk solo.

Bom caminho!
Jill

A thermal bath in Caldas de Reis, there are a couple but this one has the perfect water temperature. The location on Google Maps is 42.60337, -8.64378
Great for sore feet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am unfortunately one of those people who is very thorough in my planning ahead. I know it is not the way to do the Camino, but unfortunately I have to know what my next step will be. Please help me with the places of interest that I MUST stop on my route. I do not want to walk all the way from Porto to Santiago without stopping at any of the MUST stop places and regret afterwards that I have never stopped at the places. It can be any place or thing of interest. Please advise. My route is as follows:

Day 1: Porto to Angeiras (Senda Litoral)
Day 2: Angeiras to Povoa de Varzim (Senda Litoral)
Day 3: Povoa de Varzim to Marinhas (Coastal Route)
Day 4: Marinhas to Viana do Castelo (Coastal Route)
Day 5: Viana do Castelo to Caminha (Coastal Route)
Day 7: Valencia to Mos
Day 8: Mos to Arcade
Day 9: Arcade to Barro
Day 10: Barro to Padron
I did the coastal following your route (but went via A Guarda after Caminha). It's a beautiful stretch with much to see...i think the thing to do is leave early so you can arrive in afternoon giving you time to see things...or equally stop for a while en route. I realised this too late so didn't sightsee as much as was merited but here I some ideas
Firstly I stayed a day in Porto...the city is a world heritage site...there is so much to enjoy...specifically go up onto Ponte Luis for the view...see Capella das almas in Bolhao....and bolhao market in the morning, and don't miss the igerja de sao francisco...
If you stop at Vila do Conde the Santa Clara aqueduct is a must ...its a lovely town.
I was amazed when I came across the azulejos ...blue tiled wall...at Povoa...i recommend reading about these and the amazing culture of Povoa...apparently the town itself is well worth seeing.
Marinhas is a pretty village and the route to Viana goes via hills and woods and is very charming...the igeja on the hill at castelo de nieva is in a great setting.
Viana probably merits a day on its own...i stayed in the old town...beautiful.
Ancora (last photo) on the coast en route to Caminha is also a good lunch stop off...apparently there are Castro's nearby (ancient hill forts).
Caminha is a charming town in an outstanding setting with views across the water to Spain.
At Padron...the Santiago church has the mooring stone inside behind the altar from which the town gets its name
Finally check out dates for local fiestas...the Povoa one is supposed to be extraordinary...

Just to say I pre-booked all my accommodation in advance, and had organised my walk to coincide with a pre-booked return flight.

Attachments

• WP_20170608_102.jpg
    WP_20170608_102.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • WP_20170609_003.jpg
    WP_20170609_003.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • WP_20170607_067.jpg
    WP_20170607_067.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • WP_20170620_032.jpg
    WP_20170620_032.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • WP_20170611_023.jpg
    WP_20170611_023.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Jsalt, looks like you are very much in tune with the Camino Portugues. I will be in Lisbon to start walking on Sept 19th but have not planned the route yet. Only thing is that I want to go to Fatima.
I am walking solo so what do you recommend? And any advise on anything will be much appreciated.

Fb @theworldmyvillage
IG @theworldmyvillage

Last year I took a took the train from Lisbon to Fatima then a taxi to Tomar (on the camino.) Sorry I can't remember how much the taxi cost.

Bom Caminho!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I am walking the coastal, leaving in 3 weeks and I have prebooked accommodations. Do not tell yourself it is not the way to do the Camino. To each their own :)

I did the coastal following your route (but went via A Guarda after Caminha). It's a beautiful stretch with much to see...i think the thing to do is leave early so you can arrive in afternoon giving you time to see things...or equally stop for a while en route. I realised this too late so didn't sightsee as much as was merited but here I some ideas
Firstly I stayed a day in Porto...the city is a world heritage site...there is so much to enjoy...specifically go up onto Ponte Luis for the view...see Capella das almas in Bolhao....and bolhao market in the morning, and don't miss the igerja de sao francisco...
If you stop at Vila do Conde the Santa Clara aqueduct is a must ...its a lovely town.
I was amazed when I came across the azulejos ...blue tiled wall...at Povoa...i recommend reading about these and the amazing culture of Povoa...apparently the town itself is well worth seeing.
Marinhas is a pretty village and the route to Viana goes via hills and woods and is very charming...the igeja on the hill at castelo de nieva is in a great setting.
Viana probably merits a day on its own...i stayed in the old town...beautiful.
Ancora (last photo) on the coast en route to Caminha is also a good lunch stop off...apparently there are Castro's nearby (ancient hill forts).
Caminha is a charming town in an outstanding setting with views across the water to Spain.
At Padron...the Santiago church has the mooring stone inside behind the altar from which the town gets its name
Finally check out dates for local fiestas...the Povoa one is supposed to be extraordinary...

Just to say I pre-booked all my accommodation in advance, and had organised my walk to coincide with a pre-booked return flight.
Thank you for the wonderful info. I will have 2 days in Porto after I have finished my Walk to explore this beautiful city. I will take note of all your comments and hopefully have enough time to admire the beauty you mentioned here.

Really nice.
Jill
I think there is now an albergue in Oia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think there is now an albergue in Oia!

Hi Katie, that is good to hear. Do you have more details and a link? I didn’t see an albergue in Oia when I walked through the village about a month ago. I stayed at the albergue in Mougas, which is about 6.5 kms north of Oia.
Jill

Hi Katie, that is good to hear. Do you have more details and a link? I didn’t see an albergue in Oia when I walked through the village about a month ago. I stayed at the albergue in Mougas, which is about 6.5 kms north of Oia.
Jill
I found it on Instagram - i believe it is called Albergue Camino Portugues Oia, Rua Serrallo n12 Oia. Pics look legit. It seemed to open around March this year.

I found it on Instagram - i believe it is called Albergue Camino Portugues Oia, Rua Serrallo n12 Oia. Pics look legit. It seemed to open around March this year.

Hi, thanks, have found it on booking.com. It’s not in Oia itself, but about 4kms further on, and about 2kms before the albergue in Mougas.
Jill

Hi, thanks, have found it on booking.com. It’s not in Oia itself, but about 4kms further on, and about 2kms before the albergue in Mougas.
Jill

It has good reviews on booking.com. One of the pictures, taken from an upstairs window, shows that it is across the main road from the big Glasgow Hotel. Great location.
Jill

It has good reviews on booking.com. One of the pictures, taken from an upstairs window, shows that it is across the main road from the big Glasgow Hotel. Great location.
Jill
Great detective work Jill!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back