• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places of interest

Jacintha Warren

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully this coming year
I'm starting solo on 1st May and wonder if anyone has any good advice on where to stay each evening? I'm open to whatever the Camino brings me but wonder if I should book anything in advance so that I'm sure of a bed etc. Also any good tips on great places to stay or places of interest. Does anyone know if there's a place I can see reviews of hostals etc?
Many thanks in advance
Jacintha

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My wife and I walked from SJPP on 2 May last year, and after having difficulty finding accommodation at Zubiri, booked most of the rest of the way. Others who left a day or so later claimed they had no problem finding accommodation. My advice is that if you do decide not to book ahead, have a strategy for how you are going to deal with finding places full. This might mean:
  1. searching for other, generally more expensive, options locally
  2. walking on to the next place if it is close enough
  3. finding private accommodation off the main path but close enough to take a taxi
  4. taking a taxi to the closest larger town with available accommodation (and returning the next day to where you were).
I find the site at gronze.com useful for information on pilgrim accommodation, but in many cases the number of reviews are relatively small. Booking.com has good coverage of a lot of private albergues and other private accommodation, but not normally municipal or other albergues that don't take bookings.

Last edited:
Booking a "nice" place ahead of time in the big city's is always a good idea so you can incorporate a "rest" day with a sight seeing day combined. I would certainly book a "nice" hotel in Santiago ahead of time. (I really like Hotel Montenegro there).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Booking a "nice" place ahead of time in the big city's is always a good idea so you can incorporate a "rest" day with a sight seeing day combined. I would certainly book a "nice" hotel in Santiago ahead of time. (I really like Hotel Montenegro there).
Thank you! Not going to make Santiago this time round tho!
My wife and I walked from SJPP on 2 May last year, and after having difficulty finding accommodation at Zubiri, booked most of the rest of the way. Others who left a day or so later claimed they had no problem finding accommodation. My advice is that if you do decide not to book ahead, have a strategy for how you are going to deal with finding places full. This might mean:
  1. searching for other, generally more expensive, options locally
  2. walking on to the next place if it is close enough
  3. finding private accommodation off the main path but close enough to take a taxi
  4. taking a taxi to the closest larger town with available accommodation (and returning the next day to where you were).
I find the site at gronze.com useful for information on pilgrim accommodation, but in many cases the number of reviews are relatively small. Booking.com has good coverage of a lot of private albergues and other private accommodation, but not normally municipal or other albergues that don't take bookings.
that was really helpful. I have 12 days to get myself together and get some bookings done. Really appreciate that.

I have 12 days to get myself together and get some bookings done. Really appreciate that.

You might not want to book too many nights ahead until you find your comfortable pace and distance?
It would be a pity to find you wished you had booked closer or further on......

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For me it worked out best to not have a place booked. I did have to walk a little further on a few times but I was able to stop for the night any time I wanted. Sometimes I walked in to a town, found it to my liking, and stopped right there for the night. Even if I had only gone a short distance. Molinaseca on the Francés comes to mind. (So far on all of my caminos I have chosen not to have phone service which no doubt affected my decision too.);)

The only places I booked ahead on the Camino Francés were the big towns: Burgos, León and Santiago. I had no trouble finding a bed anywhere. It may be more difficult if you start on a weekend or holiday because a lot more people would leave then than if you started on a weekday. But since May 1 is a Monday I don't think you'll have a problem, especially this early in the season.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I book ahead - but only 24 hours.
Once I have finished for the day, I assess how I am feeling, legs, feet, back, etc, count up how far I have just walked that day. Then check the map, consider where the albergues are for the next day, and how far I think I might want to walk.
Maybe discuss with fellow pilgrims where they think they might be stopping/staying the next day.
I also check the weather forecast!
I look at Brierley and/or Wise Pilgrim app, and select an albergue (I try to pick one with a small ratio of beds/rooms). Then I call them and reserve a bed (and always ask for a low bed because I have bad knees!).
Sometimes if you have made a good friend, it's nice to share a private room for only a little more cost.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In 2015 when I walked in April/May, the May 1st holiday also fell on a weekend. It was busy that week, as many Spanish people walked for one week. I arrived in Puente La Reina on the Friday night of the long weekend to find the albergues almost full, and many Spanish people started from there on the Saturday (and I was in that wave). It was busy for about a week and then it got quiet again. Since you are starting out on the Monday, you may be between the waves of people starting on Saturday from different cities on the Camino. Even in the wave I only had one night where I had to walk an extra 3 km to find a place to sleep.

In the Resources Section there is a list of favourite albergues. There should also be a list of albergues that have communal meals - I travelled alone and enjoyed communal dinners. Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Y
I am willing to bet two-bits that you will change your mind! Have fun; be flexible; change your mind when that works out better. Buen camino. :)
You're right! My plan is to be completely flexible, and see where it takes me. 7 days to go!!!!!

In 2015 when I walked in April/May, the May 1st holiday also fell on a weekend. It was busy that week, as many Spanish people walked for one week. I arrived in Puente La Reina on the Friday night of the long weekend to find the albergues almost full, and many Spanish people started from there on the Saturday (and I was in that wave). It was busy for about a week and then it got quiet again. Since you are starting out on the Monday, you may be between the waves of people starting on Saturday from different cities on the Camino. Even in the wave I only had one night where I had to walk an extra 3 km to find a place to sleep.

In the Resources Section there is a list of favourite albergues. There should also be a list of albergues that have communal meals - I travelled alone and enjoyed communal dinners. Buen camino!

I'd love the idea of the communal meal and will definitely check out the list of fav albergues, I'm getting really excited, thank you so much for your help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I book ahead - but only 24 hours.
Once I have finished for the day, I assess how I am feeling, legs, feet, back, etc, count up how far I have just walked that day. Then check the map, consider where the albergues are for the next day, and how far I think I might want to walk.
I did this on the Le Puy route in France after I ran into a large hostel that was completely booked and ended up having to stay at a bed and breakfast that was very nice, but much more than I had wanted to spend. I didn't bother in Spain, though. Never had problems.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.