• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places that are worth to make a longer break / or stay

MelaCro

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2016
Hi everyone!

I would like to ask suggestions for places where it is worth to make a longer break for sightseeing (and why) ...

Believe it is a great experience and everything is worth seeing, but let's say I am planing 2-3 shorter days, the rest will have to be 30+ km (I have only 28 days from SJPdP to Santiago) so please make some suggestions

Thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone!

I would like to ask suggestions for places where it is worth to make a longer break for sightseeing (and why) ...

Believe it is a great experience and everything is worth seeing, but let's say I am planing 2-3 shorter days, the rest will have to be 30+ km (I have only 28 days from SJPdP to Santiago) so please make some suggestions

Thank you!

Only 28 days? Then I suggest you just leg it – you’ll know when you want a break for sightseeing. I had no intentions of stopping in Sahagun, but when I got there I made a 90 degree turn into the big modern hotel on the outskirts, and checked in for 2 nights. I just needed to stop for a while. I had a lovely rest day, got up late, had a leisurely buffet breakfast, and wandered around the historical sites of Sahagun. By the next morning I was refreshed and raring to go again. I also liked to stay either side of the big cities, like Burgos and Leon. So I would walk into the city in the morning, stop to visit the cathedral (you can leave your backpack in a safe place at the entrance), have lunch, then walk on to the next albergue on the far side. Buen camino! Jill

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
28 days from SJPdP to SDC?
Not sure how much extra time you are going to have to sight see. Sounds like some long walking days.
I liked Pamplona, Burgos and Leon.
cheers and ultreia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would like to ask suggestions for places where it is worth to make a longer break for sightseeing (and why) .

The natural environment you will see as you go. A suggestion though. From time to time stop and look back to see what you haveleft behind.

My interests focus on the built environment, how the buildings fit the townscape and please the eye (or not).

And as my pilgrimage is for religious reasons I try to follow the advice of the Bishop of Dunedin and always enter an open church that I pass (or search out nearby), to say a prayer, to thank those that put this place there and those that matain it spiritually and physically in the present, and to have a rest. One issue is most churches in the quieter towns and villages were locked tight.

Pamplona, for a few hours. Even the old town is quite new. And the gardens on the way to Cizur Menor, possibly for a (short) meal break.

I was nursing an injury at Logrono but greatly enjoyed the way from there to Navarette and the church there.

I was disappointed by the entrance into Najera and, possibly for that reason, greatly appreciated the pocket handkerchief sized old town with a mix of old and new buildings on the west side across the river.

Because of my injury I bused forward to Burgos and spent five days there. The "interesting" bits were the area around and extending about 500 metres east of the Cathedral. My taxi ride from the hospital in the extreme north east and a circular walk about 1 km east confirmed that view.

@MelaCro, as I broke my pilgrimage here to recuperate and hope to return late next month would you do me a favour.

Would you please let me know what you stopped for, ,and why?

If the intent is to take a rest day ... stay in a small village where you can spit at the bar and the store from the albergue. I took 'rest' days in places like Burgos ... and either walked or stood on my poor feet more than I did on any day of walking. I don't remember much of what I saw but I remember that I was exhausted.

Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Hi, we finished the Camino on June 1st and my advise would be to visit Pamplona, Burgos and Leon - and skip the Meseta or at least those parts of it that are completely flat - I hated it and will never recommend it to anyone. Of course, this is my personal opinion and I know there will be many who would not agree with me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If the intent is to take a rest day ... stay in a small village where you can spit at the bar and the store from the albergue. I took 'rest' days in places like Burgos ... and either walked or stood on my poor feet more than I did on any day of walking. I don't remember much of what I saw but I remember that I was exhausted.

I agree with that, sightseeing makes you even more tired, but I do not plan to have a rest day, just a few short days of walking in which the rest of the time I am planing to spend on sightseeing

T

@MelaCro, as I broke my pilgrimage here to recuperate and hope to return late next month would you do me a favour.

Would you please let me know what you stopped for, ,and why?

Thank you for suggestions, I hope it will be all right and after a good rest you're going to successfully complete your Camino

My Camino starts in early August, so unfortunately I will not be able to inform you on interesting locations for sightseeing

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you stay 2 nights in Palas de Rei then it is possible to walk to Villadedoñas to see the amazing church and wall paintings there. It is 6kms off the Camino so not a day detour.

Attachments

• villadedoñas.JPG
    villadedoñas.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 8
No spitting at the bar please!

Don't plan any rest days/touristy day for Monday as the Spanish have a habit of closing museums and other tourist attractions on these days!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

Not sure why, but for me being a tourist and being a peregrino were somewhat mutually exclusive. I normally love to explore cities and visit museums and churches, but while on the camino my interest in these activities was very low. It may have been due to low-level exhaustion from hiking so much, but I think something else was also going on.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You'll have some time for limited sight seeing every day, because you'll arrive in the afternoon and a lot of things in Spain re-open in the evening. Some of the most interesting sights are actually in small places, where the priest might show you some treasures, or there is an interesting small museum. I've seen all the big cathedrals, an ethnographic exhibit in someone's garage, a ham museum and a fiesta, all without needing to take a full day out.

The food is the worst thing about the camino.
I love the food. A bit off from the subject of the OP question, however for me, good food is always a reason to take a break and enjoy ;) Great towns to try something else then the 10 Euro meals : Pamplona , Logrono (Tapas crawl), Burgos (Pancho restaurant) and try in Melide Casa Alongos. Great home made fresh food. They even have warm fresh Veggies ! If food is not your thing, I liked Los Arcos, Villafranca and many other small towns. Pamplona, Burgos, Logrono, Astorga and Santiago for the bigger towns.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/casa-alongos.5196/

Last edited:
The food is the worst thing about the camino.
I agree with you: being ripped off left and right with the "pilgrim menus" or otherwise at restaurants where they know you're in transit, you won't be coming back so they can serve you the worse food ever. Like you, I was very disappointed with the food options - we have to thank for that to the commercialization of the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with you: being ripped off left and right with the "pilgrim menus" or otherwise at restaurants where they know you're in transit, you won't be coming back so they can serve you the worse food ever. Like you, I was very disappointed with the food options - we have to thank for that to the commercialization of the Camino.
See I disagree. How can one be ripped off for 10 Euro's if it serves you 3 (yes simple) courses and bread and a bottle of wine and you don't have to prepare it? I honestly don't see how they can do it for less. I don't know where you are from but ask yourself: what can you get in a restaurant in your hometown for 10 Euro's including wine ? You obviously always have the choice to skip the Pilgrim meals and buy food in the markets and cook it yourself. Anyway, sorry , this is off topic again, but 'm passionate about the food in Spain :) . there was a post a few weeks ago about food on the Camino.

Pay 2 or 3 € more and ask for the menu del dia....much better quality than the menu peregrino if you are so dissapointed with what is offered.

Tiendas and supermercados have so much choice of fresh produce. You can buy yourself ingredients for a total of 3 euros and make yourself a meal fit for a king in the kitchen's albergue.

And I agree with Dutchwalk : Tapas tapas ....Oh I want to go back....:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ha Mike and then we didn't even met...Can you imagine how good that conversation would have been? :cool:

It would have been the best!

The food, we love it. One of our reasons for wanting to be back. Menu del dia makes for great, and interesting, meals and we always opt for water with ours. :)

Water for me too please!

although this is not what I asked, I like the direction in which the discussion went

I am foodie kind of person and I'm glad to see your opinions and experiences related to food...for me excellent food can also be a reason for a longer stay

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So, most of you suggest bigger places/cities: Pamplona, Burgos, Leon

I enjoyed wandering around and taking pictures in the towns of Agés, Carrion de los Condes, Sahagún, Mansilla de las Mulas, El Ganso and Rabanal del Camino. Agés most of all. And when you pass through Navarrete be sure to stop and see the church.

I am very interested in those small places that you mentioned...

did not bought a guide and do not intend to make a detailed plan in advance, but still would not want to miss some interesting places because I did not know about them

. . . And when you pass through Navarrete be sure to stop and see the church.

I agree! The church of Our Lady of the Assumption (Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Asunción) in Navarrete was easily one of my favorites. Try not to miss it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I mentioned Villafranca .

Right but you didn't specify what Villafranca. On the Camino Francés, you have Villafranca del Bierzo and Villafranca Montes de Oca. Now, we know you meant Villafranca del Bierzo.

P.S.: There are other towns in Spain that include Villafranca on its name (some on them on Caminos to Santiago) and, in Navarra, there's an out of a Camino de Santiago town called just Villafranca so to specify which one is relevant, specially if you are looking for transport out of, for example, Madrid because you may end on the wrong place. BTW, the same applies to other places like, for example, Lorca. There's a city in Murcia province called Lorca that is much more well-known in Spain than the small camino town called Lorca so if you ask about Lorca, for example, at a bus station in Madrid or Barcelona, you'll likely be given by default info about the city in Murcia unless you specify otherwise.

See I disagree. How can one be ripped off for 10 Euro's if it serves you 3 (yes simple) courses and bread and a bottle of wine and you don't have to prepare it? I honestly don't see how they can do it for less. I don't know where you are from but ask yourself: what can you get in a restaurant in your hometown for 10 Euro's including wine ? You obviously always have the choice to skip the Pilgrim meals and buy food in the markets and cook it yourself. Anyway, sorry , this is off topic again, but 'm passionate about the food in Spain :) . there was a post a few weeks ago about food on the Camino.
Yeah, ditto. For ten bucks I'd be happy for just about any three course meal if they throwing in a bottle of vino with it (and bread). I ain't no foodie snob. Salad or pasta. Some meat or fish and a desert and they prepare and clean up? I'm in, baby.
It's hardly a rip-off.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

One option to consider, if you're comfortable biking, is renting a bicycle for the meseta portion of your Camino. You can bike from Burgos to Leon in 4 days (or fewer days if you're a serious biker). If you chose, you can stretch the biking portion to Astorga. That may ease any time pressure you're under. As to rest stops, consider leaving the Camino for a day to see the monasteries at Yuso and Suso.

One option to consider, if you're comfortable biking, is renting a bicycle for the meseta portion of your Camino. You can bike from Burgos to Leon in 4 days (or fewer days if you're a serious biker). If you chose, you can stretch the biking portion to Astorga. That may ease any time pressure you're under. As to rest stops, consider leaving the Camino for a day to see the monasteries at Yuso and Suso.

Love your suggestion, tnx!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back