• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to eat - Camino Portugues

Eswee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - Coastal (2017)
Primitivo (2019)
I have found a couple of threads of places to eat on the Camino Frances, but none on the Camino Portugues. Can I ask that we start this thread with places to eat on the Camino Portugues, both the Central as well as the Coastal route?

Please mention the following in your comment:
1. Where
2. What kind of cuisine
3. What price range (cheap, affordable, expensive)
4. For locals or tourists (peregrinos)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In Viano do Castelo there are two wonderful places for food. The CasaPrimavera/Taberna Soares is where local fisherman eat. Delicious huge portions generally of fish and cheap; you can ask for a half order of anything. Busy at lunch with workers.

More upmarket but with a simple daily menu is O Laranjeira. The dining room is handsome with white linen, the friendly service pleases the local bourgeois clientele and the Portuguese food is creative and delicious. Splurge and visit both!

Last edited:
Great topic!

The restaurant of Antonio Martins in Pedra Furada who btw has some alberguebeds and private rooms! He has a wealth of info about the Camino Portugues and is an active member of the different Portugues Camino organisations.

http://www.pedrafurada.com/

Very good traditional Portugues cuisine prepared by his two sisters.

Cheap price in cafeteria part and expensive in the restaurant part but rest assured that they still work with high quality produce in the cafeteria part.

For locals and peregrinos both!

Then in Pontevedra : Pulperia Fidel. Lovely pulpo as specialty but lots of other choices.

http://www.opulpeiro.es/#!view=default

Cheap to medium price. Caters for locals and pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A fabulous place for lunch, about 2 or 3 kms before Agueda, is a workman’s canteen. Look out for it on the right hand side of the road as you are walking through the industrial area. I’d hooked up with two others along that stretch, and the three of us were hungry, so we went in. We paid 5 euros each, which included a great meal, a beer and a coffee each. Nice, friendly vibe in there too. Sorry, I don’t know the name – not sure it even had one.
Jill

Yume Sushi in Barcelos.

Sarabulho in Ponte de Lima at lunch at a restaurant with large terrase in main tourist area facing the river, across the street from Encanada restaurant.

In Tui, Tui y yo. Super welcoming owner/chef, on the same street as Albergue San Clemente. He even made us fresh croissants and napolitanas for us to bring back to the albergue for breakfast.

What I discovered on the Portugue is mixing beer with red vermouth. Saw an advert for it in a cafe at 10 am and passed, but ordered it in the evening, and is now a favourite Camino drink. Spaniards have never heard of it but are happy to serve it, and often for little more than the price of a beer.

Vila do Conde - on the left hand side of the bridge as you enter VdC, there is a well-maintained park along the river. From memory there are a few restaurants parallel to the river, facing the park. One of the restaurants; about half way along, was sensational, reasonably priced with wonderful service. I arrived at VdC about 12 midday, put my feet up and enjoyed a leisurely lunch here and was the first to check in to the albergue when it opened at 2. Loved that day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also a restaurant opposite the wonderful municipal albergue in Ponte de Lima. The owner was super kind, helping me locate my backpack so i went back there for dinner and wow! Delicious.

La Platería (Pontevedra)
Nice homecooked meals as well as some fusion cuisine and vegetarian options. They have a daily lunch menu for about 11 € (drinks and dessert included). Lots of locals there, but some pilgrims as well.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.