• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to stay between SJPP and Roncesvalles

joseywales

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés (from SJPP): 2015
Hello.

I wanted to ask where one can stay over night on the way from SJPP to Roncesvalles.

I know that one option is Orrison Refugio.
Question: Is there any other option in Orrison?

I also understand that there are one or more places to stay in Hunto.
Question: Are there any other towns where one can stay overnight?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Joe,
You are correct. On the Napoleon route over the mountain to Roncesvalles there are places to stay only at Orisson and Hunto. However on the Valcarlos alternate route through the mountain there are many places to stay in Valcarlos/Luzaide. Here is that list. Nevertheless after Valcarlos/Luzaide there is no place to stay until Roncesvalles

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
... Question: Is there any other option in Orrison?
... I also understand that there are one or more places to stay in Hunto.
... Question: Are there any other towns where one can stay overnight?

Huntto is a tiny village and Orrison is the albergue-bar-restaurant and nothing else, there are no towns between SJPDP and Roncesvalles, it is all high, mountainous area that is sparsely inhabited. There is a photo section here on the forum, have a look around there to see how it looks like and have also a look at Google maps for the same purpose.
Buen Camino! SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Joe, remember that there are two routes from San Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles - the Route Napoleon (the route that tradition says Napoleon took over the Pyrenees) and the Val Carlos (which I think the tradition is that Charlemagne took over the Pyrenees). Either can get you from SJPdP to Roncevalles in one day. One challenging day. Both offer magnificent views. SY and Margaret both offer great advice. Do your homework and Buen Camino!!

Attachments

• IMGP3038.JPG
    IMGP3038.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Also, it is only 8 kilometers. A very good option is to book TWO nights in SJPP.
The first day, walk up to Orisson.
Then taxi back down to SJPP.
Next morning, taxi UP to Orisson and continue on.
This also means, the first day (the steepest hardest portion) you don't have to carry your pack.
Buen Camino!

Also, it is only 8 kilometers. A very good option is to book TWO nights in SJPP.
The first day, walk up to Orisson.
Then taxi back down to SJPP.
Next morning, taxi UP to Orisson and continue on.
This also means, the first day (the steepest hardest portion) you don't have to carry your pack.
Buen Camino!
That's a doable option, but other than avoiding the carrying of your backpack the first day, why not just spend the night at Orisson and enjoy the fellowship and the wonderful community dinner? That's where the seeds of many camino families are planted. It does require a reservation well in advance, though. It's only a 2.5 to 3 hour walk, so you can spend a leisurely morning in SJPdP sightseeing or shopping for last-minute supplies and head up the hill around noon or shortly thereafter, and still arrive at Orisson with time to spare before dinner. You'll undoubtedly have a reservation, so there'll be no bed race.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello.

I wanted to ask where one can stay over night on the way from SJPP to Roncesvalles.

I know that one option is Orrison Refugio.
Question: Is there any other option in Orrison?

I also understand that there are one or more places to stay in Hunto.
Question: Are there any other towns where one can stay overnight?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--Joe
If you are in fair to good physical condition it doesn't take that long to get to the Orisson albergue and your next day if you stop in Roncesvalles it doesn't take that long to get there either. Same goes for the ValCarlos route. Personally I wouldn't go back to SJPdP after walking up to Orisson or ValCarlos. I'd just trek on to Roncesvalles, or maybe go a little further to Burguete. There is a cool little hotel there that Ernest Hemingway used to stay in. Roncesvalles is okay, has a nice albergue and church, but not much else.

That's a doable option, but other than avoiding the carrying of your backpack the first day, why not just spend the night at Orisson and enjoy the fellowship and the wonderful community dinner? That's where the seeds of many camino families are planted. It does require a reservation well in advance, though. It's only a 2.5 to 3 hour walk, so you can spend a leisurely morning in SJPdP sightseeing or shopping for last-minute supplies and head up the hill around noon or shortly thereafter, and still arrive at Orisson with time to spare before dinner. You'll undoubtedly have a reservation, so there'll be no bed race.

The night at Orisson is fine, unless they're full, which can often be the case. :) The writer states in her first post that she understands Orisson is an option and she is asking for OTHER options

... The writer states in her first post that she understands Orisson is an option and she is asking for OTHER options

Yes, I do understand that, but you and I know very well that there are no feasible options between Orisson and Roncesvalles to spend the night! Only a very, very basic emergency shelter which is just for that - a dire emergency. Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I do understand that, but you and I know very well that there are no feasible options between Orisson and Roncesvalles to spend the night! Only a very, very basic emergency shelter which is just for that - a dire emergency. Buen Camino, SY

I'm not sure I understand this message...

Annie, what is there not to understand? I quoted your post into my answer ... SY

Annie, what is there not to understand? I quoted your post into my answer ... SY
I think you may have misunderstood my reply.
I wasn't talking to you - I was responding to Jmcarp's post saying "Why don't you stay in Orisson?"
The writer had said in their original post they KNEW that was an option?
So I don't understand your reply. :cool: My post had absolutely nothing to do with lodging between Orisson and Roncesvalles??? I was simply suggesting an option I've often used successfully.

The walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles is not as easy for some as others.
People often hurt themselves trying to make the walk in one stretch, and have problems along the rest of the route, or have to stop walking completely. If the albergue at Orisson is full, and if the albergue at Hunto is full, a taxi back to SJPP takes about 15 minutes, and is a good option people don't always consider.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Annisantiago, I only meant to imply that the experience of the dinner at Orisson is a special experience, particularly for first-time pilgrims. And of course it is doubtful that space would be available without a prior reservation due to the location and the reputation, so that's why it's important to mention that for the benefit of new pilgrims reading these posts. If Orisson is full, and if someone feels like the trek to Roncesvalles may be too much for their first day, than I agree that the taxi solution you mention is an option. But otherwise I recommend staying the night at Orisson.

I believe that SYates may have been referring to the stone hut on the open saddle a kilometer or so before reaching Col Lepoeder when she mentions the basic emergency shelter.

@Annisantiago, I only meant to imply that the experience of the dinner at Orisson is a special experience, particularly for first-time pilgrims. And of course it is doubtful that space would be available without a prior reservation due to the location and the reputation, so that's why it's important to mention that for the benefit of new pilgrims reading these posts. If Orisson is full, and if someone feels like the trek to Roncesvalles may be too much for their first day, than I agree that the taxi solution you mention is an option. But otherwise I recommend staying the night at Orisson.

I believe that SYates may have been referring to the stone hut on the open saddle a kilometer or so before reaching Col Lepoeder when she mentions the basic emergency shelter.

What about the kayola gite. Has anyone stayed there? We have been unable to reserve accommodation at Orisson on May 1, as it is already full. Is that an option, as I know nothing of the area.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was booked into Kayola for May 4 but after I inquired Jean-Jacques informed me there were spots in Orrison for the 5th so we decided to take an extra day getting to SJPP and start on the 5th instead ... I understand if you stay at Kayola it is about 800m before Orrison and there is a kitchen but no meal is served so if you want you can walk up to Orrison to share the evening meal before walking back for the night. Reservations to eat at Orrison in this case are a must so book the meal ahead if you are staying at Kayola. Staying at Kayola is about half the cost of staying at Orrison because of the exclusion of the meal option but if you walk up and pay for the meal on the day, it ends up the same or thereabouts. It can take a few days to get a reply by email. I waited a little over a week to hear back on whether he was able to change my reservation or not from the 4th to the 5th ... I had all but given up hope but I am very happy now :) I must learn patience ... every day that passed without confirmed reservation was agony ... I was so afraid my request had gotten lost in the ether and I was also afraid to be a pest by emailing every day ... I compromised ... only sent 3 ... turns out I only needed 1 ... it's opening season time, they are probably very busy.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back