• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to stay first few days out of Lisbon

jrewrite

Be Brave, Be Curious, Be Kind - e ho mai
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal from Lisbon June/July 2017 - Francis from St Jean May/June 2014
3 miles on trail in 2011
I start tomorrow July 3rd from Lisbon and perplexed as where to stay the first few nights due to the lack of Albergues. There is an albergue 20km out in Alpriate but might want to walk longer... I know there are other options - open to suggestions from those who have walked from Lisbon - thanks - jay

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps have a read in the Camino Portuguese sub-section on Accommodation ?!
plenty of suggestions, pointers, places and addresses.
Bom Caminho -

As amorfati1 says check the accommodation list for suggestions.

I stayed in a hotel near Lisbon Oriente Station for the first couple of nights. The route follows the train line and the commuter trains run pretty frequently which gives you lots of flexibility on how far you walk. Obviously staying in one place means you need a day pack. The long flat stretches out of Lisbon, often stuck between a railway line and a maize field didn't inspire me. There are some nice spots and I quite liked the boardwalks but on the whole I was happy to put in longer days with a lighter pack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Portuguese route is difficult going from Lisbon and in places dangerous as you have to walk along the
highway (like on the breakdown lane!) Also there are other stretches where accommodations are too far apart
for me anyway like 30 km. It is also not as well marked as the Camino Frances. That is why many pilgrims
start in Porto. If I did it again I would spend more time in Lisbon...Stay at the Poet's Inn in the trendy Chiado district.
(Above the famous Café A Brazileira) go to the Tile Museum and the Calouste Gilbenkian Museum with the best collection
in the World of Portuguese Art. I did not even go to a Fado Music bar.. and I would if I spent some more time in Lisbon.
Then take the train from Lisbon to Tomar (missing the worst of the Portuguese Camino)
and spend time checking out the Templar Castle there in Tomar --very cool town! Since your Camino will now be 500 km
instead of 628 km, you can also spend two or three days in Porto (there is also a Poet's Inn in Porto). Porto is fabulous.
My first day I thought the walking from just after the Vasco de Gamma bridge for 10 km to Alpriate is terrible
It is in the river valley and is muddy and hilly and slippery and wet...plus hardly any yellow arrows to follow.
The food on the Portuguese Camino is way better than the French Route and the people are nicer.

I had forgotten about Vasco de Gamma bridge to Alpriate! I have some beautiful pictures of that part of the walk taken with the sun low in the sky which hides the fly tipping. It was dry when I went so easy walking. I didn't feel particularly safe along that part of the route but I think that was mostly the loneliness and unlovedness of the route. I walked 2016 and it seemed that a lot of work had been done to get pilgrims off the roads and reroute them onto quieter side roads or along farm tracks although most people seemed to choose the road routes. Mostly I remember miles of baking hot farm tracks stuck between maize and railway lines with no shade and temps in the high 30s. An experience but as Terry says there are nicer ways to spend your time and the route is much nicer after Tomar.

Taken from https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/

(The number after the place is the approximate distance from the prevoius city - starting with Lisbon)
Parque das Nações (Lisboa) 8,8 Pousada de Juventude (Youth Hostel)
Alpriate 16 Albergue de Peregrinos de Alpriate
Póvoa de Santa Iria 1 Bombeiros Municipais
Póvoa de Santa Iria 1 VIP Executive Santa Iria Hotel
Verdelha del Baixo 5 Antes da Estação C.F. de Alverca - Dormidas Leal
Verdelha del Baixo 5 Antes da Estação C.F. de Alverca - Residencial A Faia
Alojamentos 1 Alfa10
Alhandra 3 Hotel Xira
Vila Franca De Xira 3,8 Casa de Hóspedes Ribatejana
Vila Franca De Xira 3,8 Lezíria Parque Hotel
Vila Franca De Xira 3,8 Pensão Ribatejana / Vilatejo
Vila Franca De Xira 3,8 Hospedaria Maioral
Vila Franca De Xira 3,8 Pensão-restaurante Flora
Vila Franca De Xira 3,8 Hostel Domus Plaza (DP Hostel)

Now that I see that you're on your way - here's a link straight to the pdf (might be easier to read on your phone) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t7as1eoi...Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf?dl=0

Bom caminho!
Christian

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had forgotten about Vasco de Gamma bridge to Alpriate! I have some beautiful pictures of that part of the walk taken with the sun low in the sky which hides the fly tipping. It was dry when I went so easy walking. I didn't feel particularly safe along that part of the route but I think that was mostly the loneliness and unlovedness of the route. I walked 2016 and it seemed that a lot of work had been done to get pilgrims off the roads and reroute them onto quieter side roads or along farm tracks although most people seemed to choose the road routes. Mostly I remember miles of baking hot farm tracks stuck between maize and railway lines with no shade and temps in the high 30s. An experience but as Terry says there are nicer ways to spend your time and the route is much nicer after Tomar.

The Portuguese route is difficult going from Lisbon and in places dangerous as you have to walk along the
highway (like on the breakdown lane!) Also there are other stretches where accommodations are too far apart
for me anyway like 30 km. It is also not as well marked as the Camino Frances. That is why many pilgrims
start in Porto. If I did it again I would spend more time in Lisbon...Stay at the Poet's Inn in the trendy Chiado district.
(Above the famous Café A Brazileira) go to the Tile Museum and the Calouste Gilbenkian Museum with the best collection
in the World of Portuguese Art. I did not even go to a Fado Music bar.. and I would if I spent some more time in Lisbon.
Then take the train from Lisbon to Tomar (missing the worst of the Portuguese Camino)
and spend time checking out the Templar Castle there in Tomar --very cool town! Since your Camino will now be 500 km
instead of 628 km, you can also spend two or three days in Porto (there is also a Poet's Inn in Porto). Porto is fabulous.
My first day I thought the walking from just after the Vasco de Gamma bridge for 10 km to Alpriate is terrible
It is in the river valley and is muddy and hilly and slippery and wet...plus hardly any yellow arrows to follow.
The food on the Portuguese Camino is way better than the French Route and the people are nicer.
Before even reading this I have booked at the Poet's Inn, the location changed over the Holiday, unless they now have two...BUT we are SUPER excited to stay with them!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back