• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to stay for rest days

jalluisi

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago Oct. 2021, PS 10/22,
PS-10/2023
Hello Camino Friends,

Paul and I are planning to walk in September/October the Camino Portuguese - Coastal and Senda litoral route. Last October Paul and I walk the Portuguese Central Route.

We are in the planning stages. We have our flight booked - September 27-October 14th. We wanted to stay in a couples of places an extra day to explore. I wanted to ask you all what towns/cities would you recommend staying to visit the town.

So far this is what we have:
9/27/2023WednesdayLeave Raleigh
9/28/2023ThursdayArrive in Porto
9/29/2023Friday14Matosinhos
9/30/2023Saturday23Vila do Conde
10/1/2023Sunday24Esponsede
10/2/2023Monday26Viana do Castelo
10/3/2023Tuesday27Caminha
10/4/2023Wednes23Viladeuso- spain
10/5/2023ThursdayNigran - maybe visit Baiona
10/6/2023FridayVigo
10/7/2023SaturdayRedondela
10/8/2023SundayPontevedra - maybe stay an extra day here
10/9/2023MondayCaldas de Reis
10/10/2023TuesdayPadron
10/11/2023Wednesday
10/12/2023Thursday
10/13/2023FridaySantiago
10/14/2023SaturdayRaleigh

The extra blanks are for rest/explore days. Any must see towns you all recommend?

Last year on our Camino we stayed in Porto 5 days. We enjoyed our visit and also went to Aveiro on a recommendation. Aveiro was a nice town.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Buen Camino,
Jackie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Camino Friends,

Paul and I are planning to walk in September/October the Camino Portuguese - Coastal and Senda litoral route. Last October Paul and I walk the Portuguese Central Route.

We are in the planning stages. We have our flight booked - September 27-October 14th. We wanted to stay in a couples of places an extra day to explore. I wanted to ask you all what towns/cities would you recommend staying to visit the town.

10/6/2023FridayVigo
10/10/2023TuesdayPadron
10/11/2023Wednesday
10/12/2023Thursday
10/13/2023FridaySantiago

The extra blanks are for rest/explore days. Any must see towns you all recommend?

Last year on our Camino we stayed in Porto 5 days. We enjoyed our visit and also went to Aveiro on a recommendation. Aveiro was a nice town.

Buen Camino,
Jackie
I would suggest extra days in Viana do Costelo or Caminha on the Portuguese side of the Minho and Pontevedra, for sure, on the Spanish. Another possibility to look at is Baiona.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oia and Baiona were highlights for us last May. Smaller towns and very charming. Oia is very small.
Thank you. We were thinking of Baiona as well. We thought about staying in Nigran then going back to Baiona (the distance isn't very far) then head to Vigo. Thanks again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Camino Friends,

10/6/2023FridayVigo
10/10/2023TuesdayPadron
10/11/2023Wednesday
10/12/2023Thursday
10/13/2023FridaySantiago

Buen Camino,
Jackie
We had nearly the same itinerary last year at approximately the same time of year. We spent an extra day in Vigo and took a ferry to the Cies Islands National Park, which were spectacular. They limit the number of visitors each day and you must get reservations in advance. Google them and you can get the details. Some walking involved but nothing strenuous. Absolutely worth it.

I took rest days in Baiona and Pontevedra. I'd recommend both. But, looking at your itinerary, I'd definitely take a day in Pontevedra.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I spent a few days in Caminha last year & found it a delightful & relaxing place. Recommended.

We had nearly the same itinerary last year at approximately the same time of year. We spent an extra day in Vigo and took a ferry to the Cies Islands National Park, which were spectacular. They limit the number of visitors each day and you must get reservations in advance. Google them and you can get the details. Some walking involved but nothing strenuous. Absolutely worth it.
Thank you!! Did you enjoy Vigo? We were in Vigo once on a cruise port day but really didn't get to see as much as we would have wanted.

Thank you!! Did you enjoy Vigo? We were in Vigo once on a cruise port day but really didn't get to see as much as we would have wanted.
Actually not much to see in Vigo, which is a big, mostly modern, commercial city. Not a great place for Camino ambience!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Camino Friends,

10/6/2023FridayVigo
10/10/2023TuesdayPadron
10/11/2023Wednesday
10/12/2023Thursday
10/13/2023FridaySantiago

Buen Camino,
Jackie
Hello from Australia. Walked the Coastal this past July and loved it . For me a stand out was Baione. I am a fit 78 and had no trouble walking the Spiritual Variant from Pontevedra through Combaro to Monasteria and this I would do again . After leaving Monasteria you have the wonderful Stone Water walk through to Villa de Arousa which is also an interesting place . If you can do the boat trip from here to Padron .

Hello from Australia. Walked the Coastal this past July and loved it . For me a stand out was Baione. I am a fit 78 and had no trouble walking the Spiritual Variant from Pontevedra through Combaro to Monasteria and this I would do again . After leaving Monasteria you have the wonderful Stone Water walk through to Villa de Arousa which is also an interesting place . If you can do the boat trip from here to Padron .
Thank you. We walked the Spiritual Variant last year from Pontevedra. We were able to stay at the Monastery in Armenteira. It was a wonderful experience. We had some rain leaving the next morning to walk the Stone Water path, but it was beautiful. Thanks for the Baiona recommendation. We are leaning to staying one night in Baiona then walk to Nigran (short day) - explore there. The next walking day would be not a long to Vigo. We are also thinking of staying an extra night in Pontevedra. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like others have mentioned Vigo is a large city with a metropolitan area of several hundred thousand people. We enjoyed the city. It has a nice old quarter and central shopping district with good restaurants, but nothing that other large Spanish cities don't have. Our reason for spending an extra day in Vigo was to be able to take a side trip to the Cies Islands and the ferry to the islands is located on the Vigo waterfront. There is also a ferry to the Cies Islands from Baiona, but it doesn't run in late September, which was the time of year when we walked the Camino.

Like others have mentioned Vigo is a large city with a metropolitan area of several hundred thousand people. We enjoyed the city. It has a nice old quarter and central shopping district with good restaurants, but nothing that other large Spanish cities don't have. Our reason for spending an extra day in Vigo was to be able to take a side trip to the Cies Islands and the ferry to the islands is located on the Vigo waterfront. There is also a ferry to the Cies Islands from Baiona, but it doesn't run in late September, which was the time of year when we walked the Camino.
Thank you. That is good to know that the Ferry does not run in September from Baiona.

We walked this past April and stayed an extra day in Caminha. It was a wonderful place with things to see, and the all important laundromat. And it was encouraging to gaze across the river to Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked this past April and stayed an extra day in Caminha. It was a wonderful place with things to see, and the all important laundromat. And it was encouraging to gaze across the river to Spain.
Thanks! Laundromat is good to know! We will need that too.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back