• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

places to stay in Bayonne or Biarritz?

Emily

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2005
Greetings. I will be walking the Camino in early June from SJPP. I am fairly sure I will have to stay overnight in Bayonne or Biarritz before getting the train to SJPP. I haven't had much luck looking for places to stay on the Internet....mosty fancy hotels, etc. Any suggestions? Gracias!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hotel on Bayonne

If you need to stay over-night stand outside the station in Bayonne and look left across the parking lot. There you will see the Hotel Paris Madrid which is run by Patrick and Sylvie Sorbois. A comfortable room can be had for about 30 euros +/-.

There is more information on a posting under El Camino Frances titled Insurance

Buen Camino
William

A selection of Camino Jewellery
places to Stay in Bayonne or Biarritz

I've just come back (last night) from my first Camino.
I stayed at the Hotel Paris Madrid whilst in Bayonne and received a warm welcome there. Patrick speaks excellent English and will advise you on the Camino etc. As recommended by Peter Robbins, I walked to St. Jean Pieds de Port on a well waymarked path. It gave me a few days practice before crossing from St. JPP to Roncesvalle.

Enjoy yourself, I did!

Peter

I walked from Bayonne to Bas Cambo (1km from Cambo les Bains) and stayed at the Hotel Tante Ursule. The second night I stayed on a farm in Irissary with a delightful family who spoke some English.

Both were found on the Internet after a lot of searching, and were booked by telephone.

If the tourist authorities in the area want to develop this route as an alternative to taking the train to St. JPP they need to update their websites. I also contacted the (many local) tourist offices by phone to ask about accomodation on the route, but they didn't seem very clued up.

It's a route worth taking, very attractive countryside, gradually climbing the Pyrennees and well waymarked. I think I was the only person using it at the time as I never met another walker!

regards

Peter

PS
Peter, in reply to your question of last April, yes I am of the LDWA.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Interesting: the Amis website does not list the farm in Irissary, though there is a hotel in Helette http://www.aguerria.com/ There's nothing else listed on the long stretch from Cambo to St Jean le Vieux.

They have now got a summary of accommodation for their routes on their website http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/art ... rticle=743 but the Bayonne-St Jean PdP route seems to be missing!

I've generally found that tourist offices are good for the immediate environs but the further away you get from the town the office is in, the less they know. Promoting routes is always a problem for small organisations such as the Amis; you will find few walkers on them, because few walkers are aware of them. The FFRP have the advantage with their GRs as they are shown on IGN and Michelin maps. Having said that, I did notice that the Bayonne-St Jean route is marked on one of the 1:25000 IGN maps.

More Information

Peter,
Could you give more information either in private or on this website about your walk from Bayonee to SJPP?

How many days total did the walk take?
How many km per day did you walk?
Were exactly does the trail begin?
Do you have an email address for the farm where we can book a night?
Cost of those two nights?
Any other information that might be helpful?

We are seriously considering this option but need to decide soon so we can cahnge our reservations in SJPP at Chemin.

thanks!
Deborah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I've just come back (last night) from my first Camino.
I stayed at the Hotel Paris Madrid whilst in Bayonne and received a warm welcome there. Patrick speaks excellent English and will advise you on the Camino etc. As recommended by Peter Robbins, I walked to St. Jean Pieds de Port on a well waymarked path. It gave me a few days practice before crossing from St. JPP to Roncesvalle.

Enjoy yourself, I did!

Peter
Is this path bikeable on a mountain bike?

Is this path bikeable on a mountain bike?

LVDWD,

The date of the post that you cite is 2005. Much would have changed since then! However do check out the Voie de Nive as a current possible, bikable path.

Happy research and Bon chemin!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back