• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to stay in or near Orisson.

frannie z

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: 2022,2023
I'm trying to post to IVAR forum a question regarding places to stay in/near Orisson for Sept. 23? Please assist I'm computer challenged. Frannie Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Totally off the topic. I'm trying to post to IVAR forum a question regarding places to stay in/near Orisson for Sept. 23? Please assist I'm computer challenged. Frannie Z
Orisson is a refuge, there is no town there. There are no towns between SJPdP and Roncevalles unless you walk the Valcarlos. Do a search on this forum for Orisson and you will find a load of threads about how to book there or at nearby Borda and conversations regarding taking the alternate route.

The best flight I can find is arriving at Biarritz at 10am. The train from Biarritz to St Jean is around 1.5 hours so I may roughly arrive around midday. Is it safe enough to leave St Jean at 1pm and get to Roncevalles before dusk?

There are also flights into Barcelona and Carcassone (France) but those routes seem even more complicated to get to St Jean.
My two first times crossing the Pyrenees in 1996 and -98 I started directly from the train. It is doable, but at least I got blisters and felt the stress of the hard climb several days afterwoods. My last - hopefully latest 😁- time in 2007 I was older and in a worse shape, so started with first day to Orisson and then second day to Roncesvalles. Was a lot more relaxing way of doing it 😁.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As @biarritzdon said, Orisson is a refuge, not a town.
In addition to Refuge Orisson there is a new place, Auberge Borda one km past Orisson.

If you can't book either place you can book two nights in SJPDP and use Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle to walk halfway the first day, then go back to St Jean to spend the night. The Mountain Shuttle will return you to where you left off the next morning.

la-navette-du-matin(4).png

Hello Frannie! You might want to start by visiting the two websites below for more information on staying at Refuge Orisson and Auberge Borda during your Camino this fall:

Even the more computer savvy among us agree that booking at Refuge Orisson is more difficult than it should be — you will need to email them an inquiry and wait for a response, then pay them and wait some more.

It is much more straightforward booking a bed at the nearby Auberge Borda, as it can be done via the Booking.com website or app.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Starting from SJPdP you will pass Albergue Ferme Ithurburia (Hontto) in km 5,3.
Thereafter is the gravel path ziczacing steep upwards (worst part indeed).
When this gravel part joins tarmac way, there is Gite Kayola in km6,7.
Kayola is part of Orisson, but 800 meters before. Beds available, all other
services in Albergue Orisson km 7,8. Booking via Orisson.
Auberge Borda is in km 8,7, hence after Orisson.
So, there are 4 possible places to overnight.
Some take two nights in SJPdP: walk to Orisson, taxi back to SJPdP in the evening, overnight in SJPdP. Then taxi in the morning back to Orisson, where there camino continues to Roncesvalles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Refuge Orisson, and sometimes they open Kayola when Orisson is full. Orisson has a bar and offers Communal Dinner.
Albergue Borda offers Communal Dinner.

Other than that - nothing in Orisson!

On the way up to Orisson - I "think" the last place to stay would be in Honto.

Only other options would be to hike all the way to Roncesvalles or shuttle back to SJPDP for the night and shuttle back to your previous days pick up point the next day.

Hello Frannie! You might want to start by visiting the two websites below for more information on staying at Refuge Orisson and Auberge Borda during your Camino this fall:

Even the more computer savvy among us agree that booking at Refuge Orisson is more difficult than it should be — you will need to email them an inquiry and wait for a response, then pay them and wait some more.

It is much more straightforward booking a bed at the nearby Auberge Borda, as it can be done via the Booking.com website or app.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
I have never stayed in Orisson just eaten there on my way up and over. I have read many times about the issues with the reservation system. I was wondering if you stayed at the Albergue in Borda. The reason I ask you, or anyone else who may have stayed how easy it is to book a reservation by email. Bookings takes 15% of the fee. With the pain of COVID I no longer use Bookings whenever possible so the owners can get their full payment. I know this can be challenging for many especially if they can not speak Spanish. I do ok with my Spanish but when I am sending an email I will write the email (very simply) in English and also cut and paste the Google translation. I know the posting person is not computer literate but it really isn't as daunting as it sounds. But if it is too difficult then Booking.com it is!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have never stayed in Orisson just eaten there on my way up and over. I have read many times about the issues with the reservation system. I was wondering if you stayed at the Albergue in Borda. The reason I ask you, or anyone else who may have stayed how easy it is to book a reservation by email. Bookings takes 15% of the fee. With the pain of COVID I no longer use Bookings whenever possible so the owners can get their full payment. I know this can be challenging for many especially if they can not speak Spanish. I do ok with my Spanish but when I am sending an email I will write the email (very simply) in English and also cut and paste the Google translation. I know the posting person is not computer literate but it really isn't as daunting as it sounds. But if it is too difficult then Booking.com it is!

I'm with you on avoiding Booking.com whenever possible, especially with smaller establishments.
I will be staying at Borda next month and contacted Laurent directly via email to make a reservation.
He responded promptly and courteously, which is more than I can say for Orisson (on both counts).
Looking forward to staying there and will report back!

I'm trying to post to IVAR forum a question regarding places to stay in/near Orisson for Sept. 23? Please assist I'm computer challenged. Frannie Z
I'm with you on avoiding Booking.com whenever possible, especially with smaller establishments.
I will be staying at Borda next month and contacted Laurent directly via email to make a reservation.
He responded promptly and courteously, which is more than I can say for Orisson (on both counts).
Looking forward to staying there and will report back!
Maybe Senor Jacques very positive experience will help you secure a reservation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can also contact them on Facebook

I avoid Facebook for even more reasons than I avoid Booking.com but yes, good to know that Laurent offers several venues by which to contact him ;)

When we tried to book Orison, they referred us to Gite Anton (who were friends of theirs). The Gite sends a car to Orison at 3pm to collect you and returns you the next morning. It was a nice newly renovated house with the ground floor setup for pilgrims. They gave a good communal dinner and breakfast.

Using email to reserve a bed at the Albergue Borda proved to be quite straightforward. I used Google to compose my request in Spanish but my reply came within the same day in English and was easy to follow. I hit the email link that was kindly posted in this thread, which was very handy for the computer challenged! Good luck--

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Using email to reserve a bed at the Albergue Borda proved to be quite straightforward. I used Google to compose my request in Spanish but my reply came within the same day in English and was easy to follow. I hit the email link that was kindly posted in this thread, which was very handy for the computer challenged! Good luck--
Both Borda and Orisson are in France, so French would have been a better choice. 😉

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get yourself a good guidebook. They have route maps that show a breakdown of all the towns and cities and villages along the Camino Frances. The guidebook will also also show albergues in-between.

Both Borda and Orisson are in France, so French would have been a better choice. 😉
Yep. Figured that out! The link to the Borda site was in Spanish so I assumed Spanish. Likely would not have had to use Google so desperately for the French request, LOL. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I booked Borda yesterday. They have a booking link on their website. Instant confirmation. So easy and no language issues to contend with. I wanted to book Orrison but after reading the trials and tribulations of others, decided against it. Plus, the reviews of Borda are excellent.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.