• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to stay in Pamplona

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lots of great places. I booked Hostal Bearan for this year.
In the past I've stayed at Pension Sarasate and loved it.
Hostal Arriazu is very nice and central.
Hotel Eslava was a favorite. It's been taken over by Alda Centro and I've booked them for our September group.
For albergues I like Jesus y Maria and I LOVE Paderborn, though I'm not sure if they're open this year?
I also have booked rooms at Alojamientos Olga, which are about a kilometer past Pamplona and are quite affordable. They're not in Old Town, but you're ahead of the wave next morning. There is food nearby or you can walk back into Old Town. Same with Alojamientos Iruña, which are also nice but out of old town.
Albergue de Pamplona-Irunako is nice. They do have one room with only one bunk in it.
There is a similar albergue just as you walk into Pamplona, on the right. Hostal Casa Ibarrola. They have little cubbies with beds in them. It's very nice.

Last edited:
Hotel Eslava was a favorite. It's been taken over by Alda Centro and I've booked them for our September group.
For albergues I like Jesus y Maria and I LOVE Paderborn, though I'm not sure if they're open this year?
I also have booked rooms at Alojamientos Olga, which are about a kilometer past Pamplona and are quite affordable. They're not in Old Town, but you're ahead of the wave next morning. There is food nearby or you can walk back into Old Town. Same with Alojamientos Iruña, which are also nice but out of old town.
Albergue de Pamplona-Irunako is nice. They do have one room with only one bunk in it.
There is a similar albergue just as you walk into Pamplona, on the right, but the name escapes me at the moment. They have little cubbies with beds in them. It's very nice.
Awesome! Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Awesome! Thank you!
Hi, I also like browsing for recommendations for cities along various Caminos.

One thing to keep in mind as you do this is that different people have different expectations.

Albergue Jesús y María is a good example. You will find many pilgrims who recommend this albergue but you will also find others who say to avoid it at all costs. See:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-old-guy.72582/#post-982485 as an example.

I have not stayed there but others have noted that the hosts are very hospitable (+) but the rooms are very large, crowded an noisy (-) and someone suggested that the toilets don't have seats (--).

These days I try to ask "why?" a place is recommended.

BTW, I have not stayed at Jesús y María's and so I have no first hand experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

One thing to keep in mind as you do this is that different people have different expectations.

Albergue Jesús y María is a good example. You will find many pilgrims who recommend this albergue but you will also find others who say to avoid it at all costs. See:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-old-guy.72582/#post-982485 as an example.

I have not stayed there but others have noted that the hosts are very hospitable (+) but the rooms are very large, crowded an noisy (-) and someone suggested that the toilets don't have seats (--).

BTW, I have not stayed at Jesús y María's and so I have no first hand experience.
Every time I read about lack of toilet seats I’m reminded of a friend that wanted me to take them to San Fermin in 1998. All bars that we went to removed their toilet seats and heavily dusted their floors with sawdust.

I usually give ”advice” a very wide berth. We all live in our worlds of expectations and what mine are may or may not jibe with strangers. For a large albergue, it really is kind of a marvel of marvel. Large unisex restrooms, a location of some historic significance. For me it was nice experience of what a large dormitory is although in winter when they shut those heaters down at 2200, all that warm air immediately goes to the ceiling…way way up there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They usually open March 1, are they opening later this year?
They took the opportunity of being closed for Covid to move to a new building that is not subject to flooding by the river.

Assuming that @Roland49 is correct and I have no reason to doubt him then this is probably the first opening in the new building.

I LOVE Paderborn, though I'm not sure if they're open this year?
Current info on their website:

We will continue to operate our pilgrim hostel in Pamplona for the next 5 years. A contract to this effect was recently signed between our association and the city of Pamplona.​

We want to host pilgrims in the Casa Paderborn again as soon as possible and responsibly. We currently hope for a reopening at the beginning of the next season on March 1, 2022 in largely "normal" conditions and wish all pilgrims patience and above all health!​

to move to a new building that is not subject to flooding by the river..
They tried to negotiate for a different building but it did not work out. Casa Paderborn was severely flooded in December 2021 and even furniture and washing machines were damaged this time. They welcome donations. Usually, the water reaches only their basement but this time it flooded the ground floor, too. The water level on that floor reached a height of 50 cm. The Navarra government said that it was the highest flood level of the river Arga in 20 years.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Any recommendations on where to stay in Pamplona?
I stayed at the Hotel Castillo de Javier. It is on a wonderful street that leads to the main plaza - lots of restaurant and bar choices. The hotel has a bar and small restaurant and serves a nice breakfast. Easy to hop on the Camino, too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are staying two nights at Hotel Tres Reyes in Pamplona beginning of June.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In September I stayed at

- Sercotel Hotel Europa right off Plaza del Castillo, and around the corner from calle Estafeta - very nice, modern with a 1-star Michelin restaurant on premise. I paid €60 for a single as a splurge night after arriving late in the day by train from Barcelona. Totally worth it.

and 2 days later, (with all albergues that were open at full capacity) I stayed at

- El Camino Urban Rooms for a pension (shared bathroom) located on calle San Gregorio, 200 meters from Plaza del Castillo, on a busy foodie/bar street. I paid €30 for a night there.

In 2018, I also stayed with 5 other Camino family at an amazing 3 bdr AirBnB apartment on Calle Navarrería just a few doors down from the Cathedral. We each spent less than €20 and it incl. washer and dryer So, if you're with friends, AirBnB is a a good option worth looking into, too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Had a bad flight from Oz , booked into Pension Escaray [ very nice ] where we had stayed previously
Heard people moving around , so got up and stated walking , all down the very familiar long stretch out with many many people wishing me a bon camino.
My watch showed 6.00 am when I left and it was only when i got near the Uni that the chemist clock showed 12.38am...........it was midnight when i left.
C....Almighty , so back I go , yes there was laughter from the waiters etc now closing the restaurants and arrived at the wooden door of Pension Escaray.
*** I could not press the buzzer .
Next door ;
HOTEL MAISONNAVE , where the friendly concierge outside having a smoke told me to relax
What followed was coffee ,fruit, internet and a back room with a close the eyes chair.
Then a shower and good wishes.

When we returned a few years later after commencing in Le Puy [ GR65] and arrived in Pamplona on the last day of San Fermin Festival [ Family Day ] i was welcomed with open arms and much laughter by the same family of staff who are exceptional in assisting pilgrims in this upmarket venue.
The the cheapest , not the dearest but right amongst the restaurants etc in the old city .
Save an extra euro and go there.

Last edited:
Casa Ibarrola has pod beds - own light, cell phone socket and curtain.
Key code for door entry, so you can stay out after 10pm.
Very friendly - owner managed.
Highly recommend.
I second the recommendation. The "pod beds" are very clever and comfortable. Also, the dorm room is air-conditioned. The brothers running the place are fantastic hosts.

Awesome! I'm booked there in May.
Hello,
My husband and I start our Camino in Pamplona on May 18, 2022 and would like to book a hotel for the first night. Any recommendations? Also, we will arrive from an overseas flight and will be tired. What do you think about starting our Camino the very next day (May 19) and staying our first night as pilgrims in an albergue in Zariquiegui?
Thanks!
Bridget

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I stayed there once, would never do it again. I just about passed out with heat - on a really hot day they put us on the top levels - it was horrendous. I was in way too much distress to look around.
And I'm not a fan of the bathrooms.

I stayed in Jesus y Maria once and would not choose to stay there again unless it had the only available bed. Yet there was really nothing wrong with it. The person on the desk was abrupt and unsociable, but the place was busy and so was she. It was my first experience of a large dormitory full of bunk beds. While it was clean and modern, I just did not feel comfortable. It was referred to me by a forum member on a thread like this one. There was a bed and a bathroom and I did sleep: surely all that a pilgrim could need in an albergue.

I liked Hotel Yoldi for some luxury.

I just booked Hotel Yoldi for the night before we start our Camino from Pamplona to Leon. Thank you for the recommendation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Current info on their website:

We will continue to operate our pilgrim hostel in Pamplona for the next 5 years. A contract to this effect was recently signed between our association and the city of Pamplona.​

We want to host pilgrims in the Casa Paderborn again as soon as possible and responsibly. We currently hope for a reopening at the beginning of the next season on March 1, 2022 in largely "normal" conditions and wish all pilgrims patience and above all health!​
Casa Paderborn is open again and ready to host.
Website has been updated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is a similar albergue just as you walk into Pamplona, on the right. Hostal Casa Ibarrola. They have little cubbies with beds in them. It's very nice.
We are starting from Pamplona and are planning to do a short first day out of Pamplona to manage our jet lag. Has anyone stayed in Zariquiegui? We are considering staying there our first night or push on to Uterga if we have the energy. Any recommendations? Thanks!

. I booked Hostal Bearan for this year.
Oh, Annie, that’s where I stayed on my very first camino in 2000. At the time it was a small family run place, clean and cheap. Looks like it has had an upgrade and added a restaurant. Great location. I will also throw in a pitch for a very good restaurant across the street, which also has had an upgrade.

They had a bar up front, with the dining room kind of hidden in the back. The menú del día had two choices, and it was well worth the few extra euros. I remember a really delicious meal, and would love to hear from forum members if it is still as good. The pintxos in the front along the bar were also terrific.

Had a bad flight from Oz , booked into Pension Escaray [ very nice ] where we had stayed previously
Heard people moving around , so got up and stated walking , all down the very familiar long stretch out with many many people wishing me a bon camino.
My watch showed 6.00 am when I left and it was only when i got near the Uni that the chemist clock showed 12.38am...........it was midnight when i left.
C....Almighty , so back I go , yes there was laughter from the waiters etc now closing the restaurants and arrived at the wooden door of Pension Escaray.
*** I could not press the buzzer .
Next door ;
HOTEL MAISONNAVE , where the friendly concierge outside having a smoke told me to relax
What followed was coffee ,fruit, internet and a back room with a close the eyes chair.
Then a shower and good wishes.

When we returned a few years later after commencing in Le Puy [ GR65] and arrived in Pamplona on the last day of San Fermin Festival [ Family Day ] i was welcomed with open arms and much laughter by the same family of staff who are exceptional in assisting pilgrims in this upmarket venue.
The the cheapest , not the dearest but right amongst the restaurants etc in the old city .
Save an extra euro and go there.
Are you saying to go to Maisonnave? They certainly are NOT the cheapest. They are quite expensive, imo.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are starting from Pamplona and are planning to do a short first day out of Pamplona to manage our jet lag. Has anyone stayed in Zariquiegui? We are considering staying there our first night or push on to Uterga if we have the energy. Any recommendations? Thanks!

I don't know if the small Albergue San Andres in Zariquiegui survived Covid. It is still listed on Wise Pilgrim but not on Gronze. There doesn't seem to be any other accommodation showing there at the moment on those two websites.

In any case, the walk to Zariquiegui from Pamplona would be a very small chunk to bite off, even on your first day. My sense is you would get there and be twiddling your thumbs for hours and hours on end. In 2009 I started from Pamplona as a 50 something, pudgy peregrina with way too much weight on my body and in my pack (that's another story) and even I made it to Uterga with a little left in the tank. If you are really concerned about that opening day, a bus (horrors!) out of Pamplona might be an option. Bus L18 goes to the south eastern outskirts of Cizur Mayor, and from there you can join/start the camino, cutting off about 5.5 km, much of it pavement walking (albeit not unpleasant).

Last edited:
Such helpful information, thank you! I think you are correct, we'll be itching to walk so we'll likely push onward over Alto de Perdon until we find a bed. Thanks again. :)

Are you saying to go to Maisonnave? They certainly are NOT the cheapest. They are quite expensive, imo.
No I’m not saying go there , I just stated how a hotel I was not staying in that evening/ morning made the day for an elderly gent who stuffed things up.
***The hearse over here does not have a tow bar
After all the $$$$$ we have saved over the approaching 2.5 years on eating out , visiting friends and travel costs which don’t include $6000 airfares then the days of worrying about costs are finished.
Is the OP commencing in Pamplona?
if so then they have already saved 3 nights accommodation.
I think I read many years ago that 33% never go past Pamplona .
If you want to enjoy the city and culture and not be locked in a room when all others are just commencing dining out then stay in a hotel.
If you want a kind pilgrim orientated one …..then I’m not far wrong.
The OP never asked about quality or costs.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Such helpful information, thank you! I think you are correct, we'll be itching to walk so we'll likely push onward over Alto de Perdon until we find a bed. Thanks again. :)
JerseyWalker,
Walking up/down from the Alto de Perdon can be difficult and perhaps a "hill too far" for your first day.

However if you can do stop at the
Camino de Perdon private albergure in Uterga you will find it very friendly and comfortable. The food is great also. If you wish private rooms are also available.

Walking after Uterga is wonderfully easy across gentle rolling land. Don't miss a side visit to the wonderful church at Eunate nearby before continuing to Puenta La Reina.

Carpe diem and Buen camino.

Last edited:
JerseyWalker,
Walking up/down from the Alto de Perdon can be difficult and perhaps a "hill too far" for your first day.

However if you can do stop at the private albergure in Uterga you will find it very friendly and comfortable. The food is great also. If you wish private rooms are also available.

Walking after Uterga is wonderfully easy across gentle rolling land. Don't miss a side visit to the wonderful church at Eunate nearby before continuing to Puenta La Reina.

Carpe diem and Buen camino.
Thank you, mspath.

I appreciate the guidance. Very excited to start our journey ... we got side-lined in 2020 due to Covid.

Buen camino!

Another for Hostel Arriazu. Beth had a touch of tummy flu in the morning, and they were very good about letting us stay over, and helping to find a Farmacia.
Room was clean and comfortable. Location was great.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm not a fan of booking places ahead but as suggested I've booked the first few nights ahead. The general suggestion was book to pamplona.... should I book pamplona aswell or are there sufficient (budget friendly dorm style) options available? There seems to be but thought it best to ask... I'd like to stay 2 nights.

I'm not a fan of booking places ahead but as suggested I've booked the first few nights ahead. The general suggestion was book to pamplona.... should I book pamplona aswell or are there sufficient (budget friendly dorm style) options available? There seems to be but thought it best to ask... I'd like to stay 2 nights.

If booking is usually not what you prefer to do, I'd say it's not necessary, unless you plan to get there during major holidays or late in the evening. There are many accommodations in Pamplona and also shortly before/after.

I've never had a problem finding a bed, apart from San Fermin festival, a time when you should consider bypassing Pamplona completely, anyway.

One thing to keep in mind: not every albergue will allow you to stay for two nights. Make sure beforehand, or be prepared to move from one albergue to another for your second night. I've done that before - one night in Jesus y Maria and then one in Casa Paderborn.

If booking is usually not what you prefer to do, I'd say it's not necessary, unless you plan to get there during major holidays or late in the evening. There are many accommodations in Pamplona and also shortly before/after.

I've never had a problem finding a bed, apart from San Fermin festival, a time when you should consider bypassing Pamplona completely, anyway.

One thing to keep in mind: not every albergue will allow you to stay for two nights. Make sure beforehand, or be prepared to move from one albergue to another for your second night. I've done that before - one night in Jesus y Maria and then one in Casa Paderborn.
We try and walk into Pamplona on the last Sunday , family day , during San Fermin Festival , if we have started prior to St.JPP .It’s a wonderful atmosphere and just behind it is the Fetes of Bayonne.
To see the families from grandkids up celebrating with their elders is wonderful.

If staying two nights book into the one place and relax , do a bit of housekeeping as you are aware the first 3 days can get rough and wet , and enjoy the city.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back