• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Places to Stay in Santiago

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are arriving in Santiago on June 4, 2022. I would love some recommendations on places to stay. Thanks so much!

My two favourites :

Hostal Suso.
Their bar serves great breakfasts.

Pension Hortas.

What is your budget? Is it Four Star or albergue, that would help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What is your budget? Is it Four Star or albergue, that would help.
Modest budget ... would prefer a hotel or small hostel with a private room since I'm walking with my husband. His first Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Seminairo Menor has double rooms and is modest with cooking facilities. San Martin Pinario is right in the center of everything next to the Cathedral. They have a floor just for pilgrims but having only walked solo, I do not know if there are double rooms on that floor. The other floors are like a regular hotel but what everyone raves about regarding this hotel is the breakfast which is included.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It looks lovely. I will book when they open up June. Thanks again!

You might mail them earlier to be on the safe side ! I see the 4th of June is a Saturday and the weekend of Pentecost so it might be busier than normal in Santiago.
Speaking of experience when visiting a bigger Spanish town on a festive weekend.

We have a couple nights booked in late April at Hotel Rua Vilar. A great location near the cathedral with lovely rooms. Our room runs about $100/night. After a Camino, we tend to treat ourselves in SdC with a bit of a splurge.

I liked KM-0 albergue last year due to it's location/proximity to the Pilgrim's office and cathedral. It is a great albergue for the completion of a first Camino. This year I am going to go a little closer to an area with lots of shopping/restaurants. Still not far from the Cathedral though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Seminairo Menor has double rooms and is modest with cooking facilities. San Martin Pinario is right in the center of everything next to the Cathedral. They have a floor just for pilgrims but having only walked solo, I do not know if there are double rooms on that floor. The other floors are like a regular hotel but what everyone raves about regarding this hotel is the breakfast which is included.
I am arriving in Santiago in june 25 (hopefully), after my first Camino. I looked both at Seminario Menor and San Martin Pinario but neither of them has availability in booking. Do you know if they have available beds without reservation for solo pilgrims?

Best to check directly with the properties.

Seminario Menor

For San Martín Pinario send an email to info@sanmartinpinario.eu and ask if they have a pilgrim room available.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hotel Costa Vella is my go-to!!
I had a peak, and it looks really wonderful. But for me it looks too fancy and in Santiago, after the Camino, I think I would like to keep in the pilgrim/family/community mood

Best to check directly with the properties.

Seminario Menor

For San Martín Pinario send an email to info@sanmartinpinario.eu and ask if they have a pilgrim room available.
It is a schlep to get up to Seminario Menor.

I have stayed at Hospedería San Martín Pinario upon arriving to Santiago, and then on the return from Muxia/Finisterre, and echo the comments about the incredible location next to the Cathedral, and the breakfast buffet, but would also include the helpful staff and amazing architecture. I stayed on the "hotel" floors as there were no pilgrim rooms available. Despite the higher cost, the rooms are quite austere, but still totally worth it for the convenience. If you are going on to Muxia/Finisterre, they will store excess baggage while you are gone that you can pick up on your return for no charge. Simply ask at the desk when you check out.

It might be a bit of a schlep, but not too bad - 1.2 km. And you can get a single private room with shared bath for only €19.
To me, that's worth considering if other places in Santiago are really booked up.
But you are friends with one of the laziest pilgrims on earth haha. One of the few advantages of walking in winter is I can almost always stay in San Martin which is the greatest pilgrim deal on earth as you know. It was 25E last December for a Pilgrim room. Unbeatable!!!!

A Casa do Peregrino

San Martin Pinario
San Martin Pinario has a floor reserved for Pilgrims only at a very reduced rate. The nice thing is that you eat the 'free' breakfast in the same room as the Tourists who pay must more money that you do. The rooms are modest but very clean. You have your own room and own shower. They have single and double rooms, not sure about triples. But you do have to book ahead. Book now and you can always cancel later if you have to. When you do book, make sure that you tell them that you are a pilgrim so that you will get the Pilgrim rate. The hotel is located right across from the Cathedral.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
San Martin Pinario has a floor reserved for Pilgrims only at a very reduced rate. The nice thing is that you eat the 'free' breakfast in the same room as the Tourists who pay must more money that you do. The rooms are modest but very clean. You have your own room and own shower. They have single and double rooms, not sure about triples. But you do have to book ahead. Book now and you can always cancel later if you have to. When you do book, make sure that you tell them that you are a pilgrim so that you will get the Pilgrim rate. The hotel is located right across from the Cathedral.
I have stayed at San Martin Pinario on two different times I walked to Santiago. Both times I was lucky and was able to stay without prior reservations. The first time in a pilgrim's room for a couple of nights and the second time one night in a regular room. Either way, cost was reasonable and I enjoyed the included breakfasts and they do have nice lunch and dinners available, too.

San Martin Pinario is all the rage. Yes, I’ve been blessed to have stayed in their pilgrim room many times. I hope you can reserve a room there if you so choose. If not, “The Last Stamp” is a nice albergue near the cathedral, restaurants and shops.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have stayed at San Martin Pinario several times: Once in the expensive rooms and the rest in the pilgrim rooms.

I was able to book both types of room on the internet. If you are unable to book all the dates you want, do check at the desk when you arrive: there may have been cancellations. This has happened to me.

I do not believe that the "pilgrim" rooms are only for credencial-carrying haggard-looking footsloggers.

If I remember rightly, a single pilgrim room was 25 or 27 Euros including breakfast. The expensive rooms were 50+ for a single and they are much nicer.

I have stayed at San Martin Pinario several times: Once in the expensive rooms and the rest in the pilgrim rooms.

I was able to book both types of room on the internet. If you are unable to book all the dates you want, do check at the desk when you arrive: there may have been cancellations. This has happened to me.

I do not believe that the "pilgrim" rooms are only for credencial-carrying haggard-looking footsloggers.

If I remember rightly, a single pilgrim room was 25 or 27 Euros including breakfast. The expensive rooms were 50+ for a single and they are much nicer.

I am not as adventurer to get to Santiago without a reservation, so if I am not able to get one in San Martin Pinario I will probably book in another albergue (in this threat both "KM-0" and "Last stamp" look good alternatives).
If I do not stay in San Martin Pinario, would a visit to lunch still be a good idea, or not worth it?

I am not as adventurer to get to Santiago without a reservation, so if I am not able to get one in San Martin Pinario I will probably book in another albergue (in this threat both "KM-0" and "Last stamp" look good alternatives).
If I do not stay in San Martin Pinario, would a visit to lunch still be a good idea, or not worth it?
A lunch would be a fine idea. You will see a mix of local and tourist customers enjoying the food and ambiance. All is relaxed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Email San Martin Pinario reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu for a reservation, they are quick to respond. Single pilgrim room 25 euro per night includes breakfast. I’ve only had the breakfast at San Martin Pinario but here’s my suggestion for a nice place to eat. When in the plaza, facing the Cathedral this place is to the right just around the corner down the first street. They have tables towards the back for a nice sit down meal or belly up to the tapas bar. It gets busy because the food is good, in my opinion. ☺️ The mini burgers/sliders with caramelized onions…so delicious. Then there’s this steak topped with cheese with mashed potatoes, yum. Nice desserts too. 🤤 The prices are very reasonable, that’s another reason I frequent this establishment. Bon Appitit.
293C8B74-87B8-4986-A458-CEDB93A425ED.jpegBC3B8763-18F3-4166-B469-C4A90030527E.jpeg9AFC8FF4-97A4-478A-9BFC-B2EE736A628F.jpeg37D334E4-EB12-4124-A6C2-09406773EA40.jpeg

Last edited:
Email San Martin Pinario reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu for a reservation, they are quick to respond. Single pilgrim room 25 euro per night includes breakfast. I’ve only had the breakfast at San Martin Pinario but here’s my suggestion for a nice place to eat. When in the plaza, facing the Cathedral this place is to the right just around the corner down the first street. They have tables towards the back for a nice sit down meal or belly up to the tapas bar. It gets busy because the food is good, in my opinion. ☺️ The mini burgers/sliders with caramelized onions…so delicious. Then there’s this steak topped with cheese with mashed potatoes, yum. Nice desserts too. 🤤 The prices are very reasonable, that’s another reason I frequent this establishment. Bon Appitit.
Thankyou @FourSeasons , I sent a mail yesterday, following @trecile advice and are now hopefully waiting for a positive answer :)
I liked your suggestion, but I am spatially misoriented so, should you remember the name of the street or/and the place, post it to me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thankyou @FourSeasons , I sent a mail yesterday, following @trecile advice and are now hopefully waiting for a positive answer :)
I liked your suggestion, but I am spatially misoriented so, should you remember the name of the street or/and the place, post it to me.
I hope you hear back soon and get the reservation you want. The name of the place is on the sign in the picture. 😂 Here's their website www.petiscosdocardeal.com Street name: Rua do Franco. See the google earth snapshot, it’s just that close to the Cathedral. You’ll see once you're there, there are plenty of nice places to eat around the Cathedral. This is my favorite for lunch/dinner. :)
0ED7ECAB-4060-4A8C-A4B7-2A54C205F3F1.jpeg

I ended my last walk with a stay at The Last Stamp albergue, both for its symbolism and to enjoy a last night in the communal bunks with my fellow pilgrims. It's a clean, well-run albergue near the cathedral. Then I moved to the great Hotel Villa Rua, just 40 meters from the cathedral, for a big private room with a marble bathtub and a long recuperative soak. Highly recommended.

Lunch recommendation: the Mercado or one of the places around it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Modest budget ... would prefer a hotel or small hostel with a private room since I'm walking with my husband. His first Camino!
In 2019, 3 of us shared a lovely Airbnb small apartment. We booked it for a couple of nights having walked from Porto. It w an easy walk to the old district, good shops nearby .

I too was going to recommend the singles at Seminario Menor. I've stayed there twice, once in a single, once in a mixed dorm. Both good. It has a little shop /cafe in the basement, cooking and clothes washing facilities too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello, my plane doesn't arrive into Santiago till 22:30 on Tuesday. Can anyone recommend an albergue or place to say that has late check-in? I'm on a budget, so would prefer an albergue but willing to pay a little more if necessary. Any ideas would be great, thanks.

My favourite place to stay is San Martin Pinario. Much has been said above to explain why.

This past month I found myself in Santiago 3 days early and couldn't get San Martin Pinario for those days. I stayed one night at KM 0 and found it to be fine but it was not available the next night.

So I went to THostel for 2 nights and was very pleased. It is 1.7 km north from the Cathedral but it is very well equipped at a reasonable price, it is available on booking.com, and it was quite pleasant to be removed from the hustle and bustle of the cathedral area. I enjoyed seeing a different part of Santiago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.